Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:41 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,852,048 times

Advertisements

I cook for my dogs also. Mine have always gotten "people food" added occasionally to their kibble, and have always accepted a wide range of foods. I prepare whatever meat I can get for around a dollar a pound or less. Sometimes that is brisket, most times it's chicken breast, and quite often it is hamburger. I have a very large crockpot that I use to cook the meat. I have a rice cooker that I use to make my 50/50 mix of brown rice and lentils. I really cheat when it comes to the veggies and buy frozen. For some odd reason neither dog really cares much for most fresh fruit, but they both love the canned in juice fruits such as pears and applesauce (no added sugar). Their typical meal includes a serving of meat, a serving of veggies, a serving of fruit, a big spoonful of cottage cheese, a serving of rice/lentils and a fish oil supplement. Since I have been doing this my 13 y/o mutt has quite limping from her arthritis, her coat has improved and she has lost 6 pounds that she really needed to lose! It is so gratifying to see how eagerly they wait for their meals as I dish them up! They are definately happier dogs. An added bonus is they no longer have the foul gas that dog food caused! It does cost me more than dog food does, but it is so worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 11:48 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,706,383 times
Regarding cooking your own food for your animals...You need to be sure you have the right ingredients in the fairly correct proportions, and if you're new to this then it's helpful to have some proven guidance. I thought this might be of interest to those who want to get off commercial foods.

Take a look at this woman's animals. She has written several books and has recipes for dogs and cats.

Pet Safety and Health Links:
DOG TRICKS, TIPS AND INSIGHTS, Foods that are Harmful or Fatal to Dogs.
NewSage Press presents the New Edition of Food Pets Die for: Shocking Facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs