Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 04:15 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsally View Post
Can you remember when your westie's ears stood up? Mine "Ollie" will be 5 mo and still are not standing up? Other then that I agree with you on everything, Except Ollie LOVES my granddaughter who is 4 and there best freinds!
Deb
Oh boy that was so long ago but it seems like they began to stand up close to a yr old. Just give it time it will happen. I am glad that Ollie..love the name by the way..and your grandaughter gets along so well I guess i should rephrase myself 4 is not too young I wouldn't leave a Westie alone with a very young child say 1 or 2 yrs old. They can get kind of snappy but of course that also depends on the individual tempremant of the Westie. Just like people each does have their own personality quirks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 06:23 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
My DP had 4 westies in all.....not all at the same time....when we got together he just had one old girl. They are a wonderful breed.....but yes there are problems.....he had one that had a genetic skin condition that necessitated euthanasia while still a pup. (I think all pure bred dogs can have genetic problems.)

Westies are bright, funny, curious independant dogs who know their own mind. There is a Westie dispositon....they are a handful. They are not easy dogs.....ours was cuddly with DP ..... but not with me....not at all. They do enter into relationships.....and are loving......but not to everyone. ... that was my experience.

We did not trust ours around children....she had at one time or another snapped at and bitten every member of the family.....usually when surprised and when she felt infringed on....and also over food....if you dropped something on the floor.....it was hers....dont try to pick it up.....Leave it be. But ours was really sweet with cats.....she always wanted to touch noses with cats.....very very gentle.

But she would tolerate being dressed up for winter weather....and seemed to be quite vain....loved to go to the groomer (keeping them well groomed is an expense and that is a consideration)....they need a professional.

I love westies.....but when our old girl passed on......we decided to rescue dogs and now have a mixed terrier and a 3 legged beagle.....both much much easier than the Westie.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:36 PM

8 posts, read 26,876 times
Default TooKey

Thanks for getting back to me, I saw your "guys" in your profile, and saw your westie. Ya, I have my grandaughter over and we take him for a walk and play, she loves it , but she's never left alone with him, Heck no!
I just love ollie to death! I have not had a puppy for about 12 yrs! and Im so glad we picked him! he was very easy to potty train, (took about 2 weeks) and he will sit, stand up, speak, and lay down,,,,(all in about 2 weeks too) Not being familar with theses breeds at all.he seems to learn real fast anything I want to teach him ) if he want to learn it!
I just need to work on the barking He only barks in the house here if he wants my attention or food or go out (Or chase the cat!!!) But outside hes pretty good with people or dogs walking by the house.(thanks goodness ) But from what i read what others wrote here it seems to be a trat with them? so far NO digging...but run and chase you ............... OH YA!! and waht a little love bug, sleeps with me in fact has to be right on my pillow! I would like to try and send you a picture of him if I can figure how too.! Im new at this you know! thanks again for chatting with me... keep in touch ? this being new to me I love talking about him and everyone eles's westies too.
thanks again.
Deb
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have Westie puppies/dogs?-dscf4103.jpg   Anyone have Westie puppies/dogs?-dscf4131.jpg   Anyone have Westie puppies/dogs?-dscf4093.jpg  

Old 09-30-2010, 06:46 PM

8 posts, read 26,876 times
Talking Elston

Wow, Im sorry to hear about your Westie experence's, my "Ollie" is nothing like what you discribed! He loves kids and would play with them for ever and ever non stop..we can hand feed him (in fact I "Play holding a treat in my mouth and hes so gentle he will tak it from me......
He did itch when we got him (and that has only been 2 mo now, ) hes 4 mo old. and we found out there allergic to corn wheat grain etc...... so we changed food to one called "canede" and he loves it and NO MORE ITCHING!
his skins perfect! hes just a "snuggler with me and my hubby! he will sleep and even crul up and watch TV with us!
thanks for shareing with me..

Old 09-30-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsally View Post
Thanks for getting back to me, I saw your "guys" in your profile, and saw your westie. Ya, I have my grandaughter over and we take him for a walk and play, she loves it , but she's never left alone with him, Heck no!
I just love ollie to death! I have not had a puppy for about 12 yrs! and Im so glad we picked him! he was very easy to potty train, (took about 2 weeks) and he will sit, stand up, speak, and lay down,,,,(all in about 2 weeks too) Not being familar with theses breeds at all.he seems to learn real fast anything I want to teach him ) if he want to learn it!
I just need to work on the barking He only barks in the house here if he wants my attention or food or go out (Or chase the cat!!!) But outside hes pretty good with people or dogs walking by the house.(thanks goodness ) But from what i read what others wrote here it seems to be a trat with them? so far NO digging...but run and chase you ............... OH YA!! and waht a little love bug, sleeps with me in fact has to be right on my pillow! I would like to try and send you a picture of him if I can figure how too.! Im new at this you know! thanks again for chatting with me... keep in touch ? this being new to me I love talking about him and everyone eles's westies too.
thanks again.
Deb
What an adorable Westie you have. I know that Ollie will bring you many years of happiness. About the barking thing I am still working on that after 10yrsI admit I haven't been too tough on it though we had our own house and I let her do her own thing but now that we are in an apt. I really have to step up the training but these Westies are so smart they learn quick. Mine also sleeps right on my pillow or she likes to get her back right next to mine. I never had a digging problem at all. Have fun with your Westie and love him alot and he will bring you many years of happiness.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:54 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
My DP had 4 westies in all.....not all at the same time....when we got together he just had one old girl. They are a wonderful breed.....but yes there are problems.....he had one that had a genetic skin condition that necessitated euthanasia while still a pup. (I think all pure bred dogs can have genetic problems.)

Westies are bright, funny, curious independant dogs who know their own mind. There is a Westie dispositon....they are a handful. They are not easy dogs.....ours was cuddly with DP ..... but not with me....not at all. They do enter into relationships.....and are loving......but not to everyone. ... that was my experience.

We did not trust ours around children....she had at one time or another snapped at and bitten every member of the family.....usually when surprised and when she felt infringed on....and also over food....if you dropped something on the floor.....it was hers....dont try to pick it up.....Leave it be. But ours was really sweet with cats.....she always wanted to touch noses with cats.....very very gentle.

But she would tolerate being dressed up for winter weather....and seemed to be quite vain....loved to go to the groomer (keeping them well groomed is an expense and that is a consideration)....they need a professional.

I love westies.....but when our old girl passed on......we decided to rescue dogs and now have a mixed terrier and a 3 legged beagle.....both much much easier than the Westie.
I have a Westie too and that one paragraph describes him perfectly. Fiercely independent, stubborn, loving but in their own way; and quite the handful. Quite. Ringo is fantastic with kids though but HORRIBLE with cats and other dogs. He's good with Lucy but that took some effort on our part.

And . . so active! A four mile walk will barely take the edge off his high-energy.

I love my Ringo . . . but I'm not sure if I would have another Westie. I'll be too old to keep up with one!

Old 10-02-2010, 06:24 AM

Thnks for understanding my post.....I was afraid I came off too negative.....but I thought it had to be said.."Westies are a handful"..AND I LOVE Westies....but if someone wants a cute little poofy dog.....Westies aren't what they are looking for. They are strong, active, on-the-go and intensely curious....and smart. I can picture them roaming thru the Scottish Countryside.....chasing and playing and having a wonderful time.

We used to walk with our Cricket down past a creek bed to a field that had a large colony of ground squirrels.....she thought she was in heaven running from one hole to another.....she never even got close to catching one....but had fun trying. BUT that was in california...and we had a devil of a time keeping a nasty little weed seed call "foxtails" from getting into the pads of her feet......and it was expensive for the vet to get t hem out. I can remember Cricket coming out from under the bed .... holding up her paw.....as if to say......"It hurts Daddy....make it all better." Then off to the vet and another $40 to $60 vet bill.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
No, Elston, you are absolutely right. Westies ARE a handful. And then some. My Westie book says they are not recommended for a first time dog owner for that very reason.

My first dog was a mild mannered little Maltese . . . and then along came Ringo! I had to do some major adjusting to keep up with my little Westie tornado.

He goes outside in our fenced back yard . . . and then WILL NOT come in. If you chase him, he just dodges you and runs under the deck and hides until he's ready to come in. Barking the entire time.

We've gotten so that early in the morning, or late at night, we attach a leash to his harness so at least we can grab that when it's time to come in!

My yorkie comes right in when called. But she does not have that 'stubborn streak' so well known to Westie lovers!

Old 10-02-2010, 02:22 PM

I can remember cricket seeing me coming with a brush or wash cloth and high tailing it under the bed......like your Ringo under the deck....lol. I also remember that their tail was almost always wagging.....it was like an indicator of interest and curiosity and joy......their tails and ears are almost their best features.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I can remember cricket seeing me coming with a brush or wash cloth and high tailing it under the bed......like your Ringo under the deck....lol. I also remember that their tail was almost always wagging.....it was like an indicator of interest and curiosity and joy......their tails and ears are almost their best features.
I had a little laugh at this one, because when I have to give my Westie a between grooming bath all I have to do is fill up the tub and get the shampoo out and she takes off. She knows it's bath time and she's not having any part of it, although once she is in the tub she is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs