Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,764,580 times

Advertisements

I've been giving some thought to getting one of these guys and I was hoping to maybe find some other owners and finding out what they're like and some of their specific needs. We have a modest sized privacy fenced yard with an outside cat and plenty of walking trails in our neighborhood that we use two or three times a week. What kind of walking requirements do these guys need? How prone are they to digging?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 05:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
My 5 y/o is highly nervous. It is a high-strung breed, he is super so, dancing around all the time, nervously pacing the house. I have a fair-sized backyard for a city house but I am handicapped and can't walk him. He has a sister (GSD/GSP mix) to play with and chase around, she's actually heavier than he is. This breed was developed to hunt all day and they have a LOT of energy. Mine was a rescue or I never would have gotten so energetic a dog!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-25-2008 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-25-2008, 06:04 PM

960 posts, read 1,689,446 times
I don't own a GSP, but I have been around my brother-in-laws GSP to know that they need lots of activity! My brother-in-law is a bird hunter and his dog Colby is a trained hunting dog. The breed is an avid outdoors type. They need lots of walks...miles of it and every day. When Colby gets home, he plops himself on the couch and is a very mellow dog. He is a real sweetheart of a dog and is very social, loves people, is great with children and other dogs. Just a content dog. If you keep a GSP active, with long walks and plenty of play/work that involves his hunting nature you will have a great companion. I love German Shorthair Pointers.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:59 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times
I have a Weimaraner, which was developed from the GSP, and I would warn you about the cat. There is every possibility the GSP would "hunt" it. Heh, my Weim. wants to hunt EVERYTHING -- grasshoppers, crickets, frogs, and she LOVES to retrieve stray chihuahuas if given the opportunity. If the GSP saw the cat as prey, it's done for. You can't imagine how fast and agile this type of dog is!

I adopted my Weim. from the shelter and she's older. No way could I handle the exercise requirements of a young one. You might consider rescuing an older dog if you don't want to train up and exercise a pup. My Weim is an incredible dog -- happy, full of fun, loyal and loving to the max -- and so are GSPs, from what I hear. They are wonderful companions!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:55 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,913,146 times
I've had GSP's in the past and they were all prey-driven, as teatime notes above, so I'd second her concern about the cat. One of ours wasn't good with kids, so as with any breed, early socialization is critical. I was an adolescent when we had these dogs, and I couldn't wear them out. They could go all day and not get tired, no matter what the weather, and they liked to be "busy". They were also very obedient. So, if you can provide the exercise, the activities to keep them from getting bored, they'd be great for you.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
My GSP lives with 3 cats now (was 4 cats earlier) but the cats have my room as "theirs" and he was taught very early on not to bother the cats. One of the current cats loves his dogs and will rub on their legs and the GSP tolerates it.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:32 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,082,182 times
Pointers are HIGH energy dogs.
Our rescue dog is a lab crossed with something and I think it is a pointer. (English). She hates sitting still, stares out the window even after we have been outside playing...
Good thing my husband loves to exercise. This dog is too energetic for me! But I love her!!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:44 PM

485 posts, read 1,954,094 times
Try a greyhound, they're lazy beasts.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:19 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,954,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
Try a greyhound, they're lazy beasts.
They really are - very sweet. BUT around cats, that's a problem, because many greyhounds feel they're prey! But there ARE many greyhounds in rescue who need a good home!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:51 PM

55 posts, read 134,575 times
We have a GSP who will turn 14 years old in December. As a young dog, she had so much energy and would pace back and forth on both sides of the house leaving a trail. They really do need lots of runs/walks. She's been full of energy up until the last couple of years, but she's been a good dog.
We see another GSP in our neighborhood at times running along side his owner. That dog is trained very well as it keeps up the same pace as the runner and is distracted very little with other dogs and people in the area.
Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs