Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 05:30 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,282,446 times

Advertisements

I think maybe some things some dogs have a higher resistance to, much like people. Or perhaps a lower resistance to. However, before introducing anything new to the diet or starting out feeding anything, research should be done. What affects one dog to a minor degree might kill another from anaphylaxsis.

We're much more aware of toxicity now - even more so than when I started feeding raw about a million blue moons ago. I still constantly check the lists for updates...and I think we all need to be aware of not just foods, but house plants and other things (like pennies) that can kill or severely injure your dog. Dogs can die from ingesting just a couple of pennies from zinc overload. Didn't know that until very recently.

I think we're just all here to share information - who knows what will be of benefit to someone else? There are those among us who are very, very knowledgeable about canine diet and those of us still learning...I'm enjoying the conversations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 08:56 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,914,225 times
Mike is correct. Racelady88's post in another thread (https://www.city-data.com/forum/4813178-post1.html) did say the dog sickened and died from chewing on a tomato plant.

On a personal note: I think it's great that people are willing to share information and experiences with others on these forums. I think that when the tone of some posts becomes accusatory, those responses may discourage some people from posting their ideas, suggestions and experiences because they don't want to become a target. If and when that happens, we all lose....

Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
Years ago mgr of pet foods would put Sawdust [for bulk] & use Red dyes [for human eye appeal] But that did not make it right. Not too long ago pets were dying cause Chinia was putting things in the food...NOT all pets got sick or died. BUT are we still feeding it? Were we not All looking for Safe Non toxic foods? So WHY feed them Any thing that even Might harm them?

Old 08-30-2008, 03:43 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,852,758 times
Your friend should have no trouble feeding her dog people food. She can cook a good nutritious meal for the two of them - just don't use spice on the dogs food.

I feed my dogs nothing but "people food" and they are thriving! I started just after all the dog food scares. The dogs were also both overweight, so I had been trying to make them diet. I was feeding them so little chow it was rediculous and they weren't losing weight! So, I started cooking for them; they love it! They have both lost weight without having to go hungry too. I buy chicken when it is on sale (I prefer breasts because of the larger meat to bone ratio) or hamburger - I can usually get one or the other for about 99 cents a pound. I buy about 10 pounds of either, throw it in the crockpot and let it cook all day on low while I am at work. I have a rice cooker that I use to cook a 50/50 rice and lentil mix in. Sometimes I will cook vegies, but most the time I take the lazy way out and buy frozen mixed vegies (no onions). The typical meal (for 50lb dogs) is 8 oz of meat and about a cup each of vegies and rice mix. They also get a half a fruit or a serving of applesauce with each meal. Their coats are fantastic, my 12 y/o dog is no longer limping from her arthritis and neither of them are gassy anymore!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:57 PM

467 posts, read 1,867,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
Well, my sister's dog used to choke on water, so don't give your dog water!
I laughed so hard at this. You're right though, it's really an individual thing, just like with people. Some people are deathly allergic to things, too, but we all understand that its individual and when one person can't even be near peanut butter, we don't suddenly all worry that it will kill us, too, though I'm sure at some point in history they did act that way. It's just tougher with dogs because they can't tell us in words how they feel, so sometimes they just drop dead and we couldn't see it coming. That's why I think people would rather be safe than sorry and just not feed their dogs those foods.

Though there have been times that I really freaked out and I shouldn't have. Like one time I dropped a box of raisins on the floor when my dog was a puppy, maybe about 15lbs still, and she had a good half dozen and I called poison control... The worst was when she punctured four Nyquil, but didn't really consume any of it since most of it was absorbed into the couch, but she had to be rushed to the hospital for some charcoal and steroids, unfortunately. But that's not really approved food now is it.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:49 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,683,291 times
My maltese will eat almost anything that comes from the table. For his birthday we had his favorite meal - tossed salad, spaghetti with meat sauce, and bread.
Yes, we're crazy, but he really enjoyed his birthday dinner.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:42 AM

288 posts, read 918,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
I laughed so hard at this. You're right though, it's really an individual thing, just like with people.
I actually wasn't even making that up...Chloe had something wrong with her that she would choke on water every time she drank it (whether she drank slow, fast, a lot or a little) and would vomit it a few minutes later. This went on for years...her whole life really. They never did figure out what caused her to do this. Perhaps she really was allergic to water? Is that possible? Guess we'll never know.

But, yeah, totally an individual thing. I tend to panic as well...until I can get to the internet and read everything I find. Then, if it seems safe to try, I start to experiment. Have yet to give my dogs anything that they can't handle. Now, them finding tasty tidbits on the street that don't come with prior, researched approval, that's harder to control. At least with Cookie, I can say her name in a shocked voice and she'll immediately drop whatever it is she has no matter how hungry she might be. Noodle, however, will somehow KNOW that I'm thinking of taking it away from him and try to swallow it immediately. He's had food poisoning in the past and once nearly died from something he gulped on the street. Never found out what it was.

My friend had a dog allergic to wheat. This was a long time ago, before wheat sensitivities were commonly known. She had the hardest time feeding her dog and convincing people NOT to give her dog treats.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,745 times
HELP! My maltese/shih tzu is SO smart! She refuses to eat ANYTHING unless it is something we are having as our meal. I will try to give her puppy food with cut up white chicken (heated and everything!) and she will sniff it, know I cooked mine with sauce, etc, and refuses to eat anything I am not eating. HELP ME! We have six young children and no time to prepare special meals (that she won't eat anyway) is there a trick to get her to eat her own food, or is it too late?? She is 4 months old. I am sure this is my fault, but what can I do to get her eating her foods???

Old 08-25-2010, 07:32 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,824,292 times
If your friend considers feeding raw meat, there are cheap ways to get it.

I go to the "manager's specials" section of the meat dept. where the dates are about to expire. Price is marked down close to 50%.

It is safe to feed freezer-burned meat. She can tell all her family/friends/neighbors to save any freezer-burned meat they would normally throw out. I occasionally put an ad on Craig's List advertising for the burned meat. One time, someone advertised they were cleaning out the freezer and had about 50 lbs of burned meat. Guess who went and picked it all up that day? For free.

Does your friend live where there are hunters? Perhaps they have old meat in their freezers and need to make room for the new batch of meat. Advertise to reach the hunters.

If she does decide to go the raw route, she should research the basics first (see links posted in previous posts in this thread).

Old 08-25-2010, 07:38 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,560,715 times
Just tell her to buy the food ingredients in her current dog food, cook it up in a pot, and freeze (in three day portions) anything beyond what she can feed in three days. Pull out a frozen portion when the current is half gone, and thaw it in the frig.

I cooked ground turkey, brown rice, and a family portion of frozen veggie medly for my Lhasa when he was a pup. I browned the bird while the veggies thawed in the blender. Then I poured the cooked bird and the blended veggies into the liquid to cook the rice. Stir well while its cooking. Voila!

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs