Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:25 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,563,274 times

Advertisements

Dup post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 09:47 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
Well the last vet visit she weigh in at 34# but the vet said she should be 25# & the web site says to feed acording to what they Should weigh.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:58 AM

Then you figured it right - a dog that small *may* have trouble with leg quarters unless they are ground - the really need to eat the bone entirely. Wings are expensive so not a good choice. Chicken backs *may* be an option but are harder to find. It is imporrtant to get the meat to bone ratio correct - too much bone will stop them up bigtime and too much meat will be inadeqauate for maintining health and bone structure. The ratio is the most challenging part of feeding raw.

I like the idea of you buying dog food and her giving you food. I an uncomfortable with this as fraud is fraud but you know, we have to have some compassion somewhere.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:43 AM

I seen people trade 50 cents in the dollar then spend it ALL on booze & cigs. So whats about a $20 trade for human food for dog food? I myself have gotten Milk & bread for others so that Katie could have her 5 pound bag of food. & its not been that long ago you could buy dog & cat food with the stamps...these people had no pets so go figure out who really ate it.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:57 AM

I agree with you - I have also seen the "junk" food that people buy instead of good nutritous stuff. Tell me why you can buy coke and ding-dongs but not toilet paper with them. You also cannot buy prepared foods but if your stove is broken and you can't fix it or your power is turned off, maybe that roasted chicken really is the best choice.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:05 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,712,121 times
Sometimes I boil white rice with chicken bouillon and add chopped up zucchini, carrots, and celery. If you do have a bag of dry food, make it last by putting just a little of it mixed with the rice.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:05 AM

Yep there have been times I traded FS for T paper. & I dont get why you can buy junk but cant buy cooked foods.... The rules are so dumb!

Old 08-23-2008, 04:48 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,303,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I agree with you - I have also seen the "junk" food that people buy instead of good nutritous stuff. Tell me why you can buy coke and ding-dongs but not toilet paper with them. You also cannot buy prepared foods but if your stove is broken and you can't fix it or your power is turned off, maybe that roasted chicken really is the best choice.
Well you can buy prepared food with FS, just not "hot". So something like pre-made sandwiches, tuna or macaroni salad from the grocery's deli, those would be allowed. Just not the roast chicken or the hot green beans or mashed potatoes they sell.

I will offer to trade with her.. thanks for the suggestion. I'm surprised I didn't think of it. I don't have an issue with it morally, as I think many of the "rules" are stupid. And yes, many years ago, when my son (now 16) was a baby and I was on FS and due to his age and size (they give you FS for 2 people, whether the second person is 18 months old or 18 years old which often results in extra when they are babies and not enough when they're teens), I had much leftover each month FS wise, I "traded" for things like laundry soap, shampoo, TP, baby wipes, dish soap, etc.

Still, the "what to feed" question is a good one IMO for general reference purposes, and I want to thank all who've replied to this thread with help and advice... and yes, she realizes this should be a temporary thing.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:41 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,170,850 times
If your friend has access to Costco, their big bags of their own Kirkland brand, which is highly rated, is not too expensive. Maybe someone can donate a bag to her and she can mix it with the other human foods suggested. The bag should last a while and it will be good for the dog too.

I sure hope she doesn't have to give him up. That would be terrible. I'll even contribute to keep the dog fed, gladly.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:13 PM

288 posts, read 918,669 times
Here is some of what my dogs eat:

oatmeal
brown rice
basmati rice
barley
quinoa
whole wheat pasta
whole wheat bread
millet
buckwheat pasta

lentils
beans
green split peas
chick peas (garbanzo beans)

watermelon
cantaloupe
apples
peaches
pears
plums
mango
strawberries
cherries
avocado
pears
apricots
blueberries
persimmon
coconut (coconut milk mostly)
figs
oranges
clementines
tangerines
kumquats (only the older dog)
lychees
bananas
papayas
pineapples
tomatoes
green beans
broccoli
carrots
bell pepper
potaoes
cauliflower
asparagus
squash
zucchini
pumpkin
bok choy
acorn squash
celery
sweet potato
seaweed

pine nuts
almonds
walnuts (occasionally)
pecans (occasionally)

They also have kibble on hand for when they get the munchies and I'm not around, but they certainly prefer other foods.

Oh, yeah, also whole wheat pancakes. They LOVE them. And natural peanut butter. Probably other stuff that I can't think of right now.

They are both healthy. One will be 11 soon and the other is 4. So, I guess the above foods would be safe for other dogs as well....except perhaps the avocado as I've read some dogs can have an allergy to it. Oh, and some dogs are allergic to wheat. I realize some of the above might be too expensive, but depending on where I've lived, some of that is really cheap. SO miss the huge bags of cheap kumquats...refuse to buy them here as they are too pricey. So, I guess it depends on where she lives for what is reasonable vs pricey.

They basically eat what I eat minus the salt. When I make something for myself, I hold off on the salt and most of the spices until the end. Then I remove their portions and finish off mine with salt and spices. They get the blander (and certainly healthier) version. I did this a lot during the dog food from China scare although our brand of kibble was never affected. Then I started reading about kibble in general and now try to do it all the time. I think they are healthier for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs