Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:49 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times

Advertisements

anal glands might be it ...your doggie is darling!
I've heard certain foods make them smell bad. dont know much about it

I had a dog at our house that I bathed a few times because she stunk.
She has allergies already so it could be allergies.
I was putting a allergy medicated lotion we use for Cody sometimes on her and it helped alot. Its a lotion. You get the dog wet and rub it into the hair a few times a week for a few weeks. It seemed to help her alot. hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
If it's the anal glands...your going to know it...NOTHING stinks worse!

Old 08-27-2008, 11:14 AM

324 posts, read 1,707,183 times
Also, if it happens to be the anal glands you may need to switch to a higher quality food. What food are you using? I didn't read the whole thread sorry! Some foods have fillers and one that doesn't is best to help with the anal gland problem.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:19 AM

244 posts, read 1,227,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
How are your dog's teeth? If he hasn't had a dental checkup lately perhaps his teeth are bad and when he grooms himself the mouth odor is being transferred to his coat. I have seen people think their dog's skin and fur smells only to find out that it's a dental issue. Often it is the back teeth which are bad, and these cannot easily be seen. To check them yourself, pull back the loose skin at the corner of his mouth and look at the very back of his mouth. If the teeth aren't white and clean, he needs a dental.

What a great answer!! I would have never thought about my dogs bad breath being transfered to his fur but it makes total sense. My dog has the worst breath and he's only 4. I have done everything it seems, but nothing helps. But, his body doesn't usually stink unless he's been outside for awhile then he smells like outside...that can be a yucky smell too. Anyway, I'll have to remember this. Thanks

Old 08-29-2008, 08:13 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,258 times
If your dog is not scooting on the floor or outside chances are that it is not an anal gland problem. Teeth that haven't been kept clean can certainly be the cause. But I have found that the worst culprit is the kind of food a dog eats. Depending on the dog, sometimes one food that goes over well with one dog will cause a stink(pardon the pun) in another.
I had a similar problem with 2 of my last dogs. Then someone converted me to raw feeding and I have never had a smelly dog since.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:19 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
We adopted our dog from a rescue and his body odor was terrible. We thought it was the food and changed it. We had his anal glands expressed and the odor was still there. Turns out, he had an infection in his mouth. Easily treatable with antibiotics.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:20 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Are we talking stinky dog smell here or REALLY stinky, poopy, eye-watering smell? The latter could be anal gland...if your dog just smells doggy all the time then it very possibly is the food. I feed raw now and my dogs have very little dog odor about them, but kibble brings out the dog smell if it has much grain in it. What are you feeding?

These suggestions are great...oh, and I recently had to have muttsky's anal glands expressed because one got kind of impacted. It was $35, but I was also having some lumps looked at so that could be the increased cost.

I'd invest in a vet visit!

Old 10-13-2008, 11:54 AM

89 posts, read 268,583 times
ask your vet for advice, btw that pic is so sweet(what a cute lil dog awww )

Last edited by LiSuffolkgal; 10-13-2008 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs