Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:01 PM

468 posts, read 1,892,659 times

Advertisements

You hit the nail on the head. My male Pom was rescued from a mill. For the first two years of his life all he knew was a cage. When the mill was finished with him he was scheduled to be put down but the local SPCA rescued him and then we got him. He is the most adorable Pom ever:

Sittng on my wifes shoulder's in the back ground is one of our miniature Poms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:54 PM
bjh

60,378 posts, read 30,573,114 times
Beautiful dog. I realize he might not have been in great shape atthe time, but how can anyone look into those eyes and needlessly put down such a fellow.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:19 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,326,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
I'm glad everyone agrees. Most humans wish someone could do something for them if they were suffering. There are so many adoptable dogs and they are on a website asking for money for this poor dog who canot see or swollow. That's pushing it. I actually put in for two that had been in shelters so long their back legs wouldnt work. They got one going but not the other. I would rather a disability than an illness. I know I can't save the world, but wish I could put a stop to the mills. It's more disgusting than you think. 4 to 8 years in a cage having pups and nothing else. It's the most horrifying thing I've ever seen.
It's horrible. I think the authorities should go after them witht the same gusto they have for drug dealers.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:16 AM

409 posts, read 2,787,225 times
We need the backup of a celebrity to raise the money to put out rewards for turning in your neighbor who is abusing or a mill that is more than abusing. I'm a nobody and no one will listen to me, but this has gotten out of hand and they are living in cages for years and then can't even walk. How can we get this going. Money talks and people will talk if they get paid.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:03 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,326,951 times
Quote:
We need the backup of a celebrity to raise the money to put out rewards for turning in your neighbor who is abusing or a mill that is more than abusing. I'm a nobody and no one will listen to me, but this has gotten out of hand and they are living in cages for years and then can't even walk. How can we get this going. Money talks and people will talk if they get paid.
Ain't that the truth. People I know that aren't animal lovers think I'm nuts when I mention what I would do if I had the power. I equate what they are are put through to what slaves endured. We've abolished slavery, when will we recognise that animals feel and have emotions too...You know, I wish some of those radical animal cruelty groups that cause havoc at labs will carry out assaults on puppy farms.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:13 AM

206 posts, read 345,926 times
I don't agree with SouthernBelleInUtah, some city shelters are very picky. I think it depends on the shelter. I think the ones that are actual Humane Societies are very picky. I tell you though, I truly believe the best dogs are found in the city shelters. When I say 'best', I mean the ones with the least behavioral problems. Sadly this is because city shelters have so many excess dogs, they are less likely to give a dog a chance. That's why we need to encourage everyone to spay and neuter. And yes, we need to check everyone out before they can have a dog!

Old 09-05-2008, 01:54 PM

So why can't we find these puppy mills? I know most are in the middle of no where, but they are selling to someone that knows they are there, no? You think these fools don't know ezxactly where that pup came from? I guess they need incentives to turn in their income. This is the most in humane operation I have ever heard of in my life and I will do whatever it takes to stop them and I need help.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:18 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,927,214 times
Quote:
So why can't we find these puppy mills? I know most are in the middle of no where, but they are selling to someone that knows they are there, no? You think these fools don't know ezxactly where that pup came from? I guess they need incentives to turn in their income. This is the most in humane operation I have ever heard of in my life and I will do whatever it takes to stop them and I need help.
Ahh, mimosa, the authorities DO know where the puppy mills are located. Many are licensed by the federal government and registered by APHIS, and many others are licensed by the state. Even the unlicensed ones are generally known by local law enforcement. The problem is that running a puppy mill is in itself not a violation of federal law or the laws of most states.

Check out the Animal Law Coalitions website for info on puppy mills and laws.
Animal Law Coalition | Advocating for animals to live and live free of cruelty and neglect

Old 09-05-2008, 04:48 PM

I just can't make people understand that when they see that cute puppy in a pet store, his mother looks like she's 100 years old from years of abuse. They say "oh, he got them from a breeder in Minnesotta, ". right, Minnesota just can't wait to sell a good dog to NJ. these people just dont care where they came from, we have to stop buying from them and helping this. I have seen the mothers after 6 years in a cage, can't walk, can't see right, wind up dead. It's such a disgrace, why isnt it law???

Old 09-05-2008, 04:52 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,142,172 times
Quote:
I have been going crazy on shelter sites and rescues. Pretty much the ones I pick out and do this lengthy app for I find out were adopted long ago. Or I just don't hear anything at all. One of the sites has a pic of this poor dog that was found wandering the streets with chemical burns in his throat and eyes. They think he got into it on his own, but still, his eyes are sewn shut now and he can't swollow. This dog is suffering and they are keeping him alive and asking for help. Help how? This poor thing needs to be put out of his misery. I cried like a baby when I saw this story and picture. I am a huge animal activist but in this case I think this is a little much to let a dog suffer to keep him alive. Am I crazy???
U R CRAZY. I love dogs and have had 4 during my life and it is NOt easier to adopt a dog. That is terrible about that doggie and they should end his sufferring. Is his life gonna be that great with all those injuries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs