Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:14 AM

409 posts, read 2,785,297 times

Advertisements

I have been going crazy on shelter sites and rescues. Pretty much the ones I pick out and do this lengthy app for I find out were adopted long ago. Or I just don't hear anything at all. One of the sites has a pic of this poor dog that was found wandering the streets with chemical burns in his throat and eyes. They think he got into it on his own, but still, his eyes are sewn shut now and he can't swollow. This dog is suffering and they are keeping him alive and asking for help. Help how? This poor thing needs to be put out of his misery. I cried like a baby when I saw this story and picture. I am a huge animal activist but in this case I think this is a little much to let a dog suffer to keep him alive. Am I crazy???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 11:19 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,492,659 times
They could probably put a G-tube in him for feedings. That's what we do to human beings, because they must live regardless of their quality of life.

Poor pup. It's a sad day when we, the "exalted species," can't get it up to treat other animals with proper respect and care.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:29 PM
bjh

60,172 posts, read 30,479,337 times
Im old fashioned. I love dogs, but consider them dogs, not people. I think they are happier that way.

I talked to a woman recently who said she has her dog on anxiety medication. I say bull$h1t. She must be deflectling her anxiety on to the perfectly healthy normal dog.

Dogs just want food, love, comfort, friendship and to know their place in the pack. And they are more than happy to have their human be the alpha. They aren't children or humans of any age.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:35 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,318,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Im old fashioned. I love dogs, but consider them dogs, not people. I think they are happier that way.

I talked to a woman recently who said she has her dog on anxiety medication. I say bull$h1t. She must be deflectling her anxiety on to the perfectly healthy normal dog.

Dogs just want food, love, comfort, friendship and to know their place in the pack. And they are more than happy to have their human be the alpha. They aren't children or humans of any age.
Exactly. I must admit I spoil my little thugs, but I often have to remind myself they are dogs. The other day I spent 30 mins coaxing a couple and their kids to put their shih tzu down on the ground. They were so afraid my 4 little dogs would eat him alive. The poor dog was trembling. Two hours later he was sniffing them out and with in a week he was trying to be alpha dog. I feel so sorry for dogs whose owners molly cuddle them and not allow them to be dogs.

Oh and people who buy bikinis for their dogs???? Don't get me started.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:36 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,318,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
I have been going crazy on shelter sites and rescues. Pretty much the ones I pick out and do this lengthy app for I find out were adopted long ago. Or I just don't hear anything at all. One of the sites has a pic of this poor dog that was found wandering the streets with chemical burns in his throat and eyes. They think he got into it on his own, but still, his eyes are sewn shut now and he can't swollow. This dog is suffering and they are keeping him alive and asking for help. Help how? This poor thing needs to be put out of his misery. I cried like a baby when I saw this story and picture. I am a huge animal activist but in this case I think this is a little much to let a dog suffer to keep him alive. Am I crazy???
You ought to go to the shelters and not rely on their sites.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,286,300 times
mimosa

you are humane!
I am of the belief that if quality of life is strongly altered or needs strong meds to live then it is time. I do think allergy meds are ok but meds for a mental state or internal problems? I think people get so crazy about saving the world but sometimes salvation is giving relief. And like someone said these are animals and we are their keepers and it is our responsibility to choose for them.

We had a cat that was having disgestive problems so we tried as many foods as possible,laxatone and everything else w/o putting him on drugs for the rest of his life and when his quality of life lessened we made a choice to have him put down. It was humane and thoughtful of us. We loved him very much and would've liked to have kept him around but not if he was suffering.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:00 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,920,332 times
Shelters are so full ofhurt animals that they have to be very careful who they let adopt. Rescue groups do background checks and home visits to make sure it will be OK. City shelters are not very picky - I recently adopted a city dog and all I had to do was pay them and sign some papers. If you think this is tough, REALLY try to adopt a child - it will take a few years.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:50 AM

173 posts, read 980,945 times
I wouldn't rely on websites, I'd go to the shelters in person to meet them animals.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:58 AM

468 posts, read 1,889,648 times
Mimosa,

Have you tried to go to an adoption or the shelter. We found a Pom online, drove over to the shelter who had him and he was still there. I opened his crate and we fell in love. After filling out a little paperwork and writing a check for $150.00* he was mine. *The check was for his neutering and shots. He has been with me for 2 years now and my best buddy.

I had to put three pets down in less than 2 years recently. It is heart breaking but was the unselfish thing to do. At first, it was "keep them alive at what-ever the costs". Our vet counciled with me and she convinced me it was the right thing to do. Blu was 15 years old and dieing of old age. I cried all that day, and I'm a 54 year old man. But the vet was right. He was finally at peace and so was I, sort of. I have his photo here on my bookshelf to remind me of him. If the dog is suffering and has no quality of life, it is the humane thing to do.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:56 PM

409 posts, read 2,785,297 times
I'm glad everyone agrees. Most humans wish someone could do something for them if they were suffering. There are so many adoptable dogs and they are on a website asking for money for this poor dog who canot see or swollow. That's pushing it. I actually put in for two that had been in shelters so long their back legs wouldnt work. They got one going but not the other. I would rather a disability than an illness. I know I can't save the world, but wish I could put a stop to the mills. It's more disgusting than you think. 4 to 8 years in a cage having pups and nothing else. It's the most horrifying thing I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs