Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 03:30 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,531,729 times

Advertisements

Part of email got from animal Search and Rescue group work with.

Truth Is: *People were being told at some check points that they were not able to bring their pets! *People with more than 1 pet were being told that they could only bring the one. *Animals are left behind! Dogs are left chained in yards! We have a list of 27 addresses thus far to respond to once the storm allows! Pray hard that these animals somehow make it thru this hell. And don't forget about all the strays.....there was no one to evacuate those babies! They're waiting for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 04:09 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,314,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
People are leaving them behind though...

I don't know what would cause someone to leave their dog behind?

Maybe the registration process is turning some dog owners off? Maybe they don't want to be identified (have warrants out, etc.)? Maybe they don't own a dog carrier and don't expect to be loaned one by a rescue group?

I'm thinking here of the pit bull owners and other bully breed owners, I can understand the apprehension to register your dog with the ever-looming threat of pit bull bans running rampant across the country. Today you could register to evacuate your pit bull, tomorrow they can come to your door and take him away when they deem him "illegal".

I know they won't all get out, but I hope the majority of them do .
I just saw a report on Fox News where a woman refused to board a bus for evacuees, because they wanted her Mastiff to be transported separately.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:10 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,314,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Part of email got from animal Search and Rescue group work with.

Truth Is: *People were being told at some check points that they were not able to bring their pets! *People with more than 1 pet were being told that they could only bring the one. *Animals are left behind! Dogs are left chained in yards! We have a list of 27 addresses thus far to respond to once the storm allows! Pray hard that these animals somehow make it thru this hell. And don't forget about all the strays.....there was no one to evacuate those babies! They're waiting for us.
Say it aint so

Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 AM

Wish could say it is not so. Got crew leaving Wednesday to be ready when can get in and start getting animals.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:49 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,670,983 times
Maybe my prayers were answered! Looks like it backed off alot! Thank God a Cat 3 or more did not happen! All those animals left behind should be taken away from those owners!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:51 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,670,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
people are leaving them behind though...

I don't know what would cause someone to leave their dog behind?

Maybe the registration process is turning some dog owners off? Maybe they don't want to be identified (have warrants out, etc.)? Maybe they don't own a dog carrier and don't expect to be loaned one by a rescue group?

I'm thinking here of the pit bull owners and other bully breed owners, i can understand the apprehension to register your dog with the ever-looming threat of pit bull bans running rampant across the country. Today you could register to evacuate your pit bull, tomorrow they can come to your door and take him away when they deem him "illegal".

I know they won't all get out, but i hope the majority of them do .
sad!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:23 AM

Will update when get new updates.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:54 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,284,787 times
Dreamhunter -

Do you know exactly what area you will be going to? As I understand it, G has gone quite a bit west of the original predicted path, although the winds on the back side are causing some flooding in the New Orleans area. Since Gustav has been downgraded to a 1, it's now closer to Lafayette and the back side at Baton Rouge. The flooding even in north LA may be impressive.

And now Hanna is an office hurricane...

Old 09-01-2008, 02:43 PM

543 posts, read 2,365,578 times
It is a sad thought. I hope that lessons have been learned and things will run more smoothly where the pets are concerned this time around.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Dreamhunter -

Do you know exactly what area you will be going to? As I understand it, G has gone quite a bit west of the original predicted path, although the winds on the back side are causing some flooding in the New Orleans area. Since Gustav has been downgraded to a 1, it's now closer to Lafayette and the back side at Baton Rouge. The flooding even in north LA may be impressive.

And now Hanna is an office hurricane...
Best friends is the contact down there and send us to most needed spots.First crew leaving to be there on Wednesday. They have tent cities all over to use as shelters when get started and never know from day to day where be at.

Seen Hanna upgraded and more coming after it. Hopefully people heed warnings and go with their pets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs