Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:09 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,530,443 times

Advertisements

Sept. 1 UPDATE (Update I recieved)
I just got off the phone with Rich from Best Friends who rode out Gustav in New Orleans. When they received a release from "lock down" orders, they immediately hit the streets to assess the damage and the need of animals. My first question was, "Was it bad?," and the reply I got was "It's Katrina all over again!"Yes, there are animals everywhere! He was out for just a couple short hours and saw more than 21 dogs! It's not only New Orleans that was hit, in fact, they have minor damage compared to other areas. We will likely head not only to LA but also into the gulf of Mississippi....Waveland is flooded, homes are flooded which means animals are desperate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 03:50 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,313,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Sept. 1 UPDATE (Update I recieved)
I just got off the phone with Rich from Best Friends who rode out Gustav in New Orleans. When they received a release from "lock down" orders, they immediately hit the streets to assess the damage and the need of animals. My first question was, "Was it bad?," and the reply I got was "It's Katrina all over again!"Yes, there are animals everywhere! He was out for just a couple short hours and saw more than 21 dogs! It's not only New Orleans that was hit, in fact, they have minor damage compared to other areas. We will likely head not only to LA but also into the gulf of Mississippi....Waveland is flooded, homes are flooded which means animals are desperate!
Oh heavens and the media seem to be down playing things. I feel so helpless and who are these people who insist on leaving their animals behind. New orleans was my home for a year many years ago and it was a place I visited regularly even after I relocated to the West Coast.

I just went on to their website and found this :

"Crook has compiled a list of confirmed addresses with dogs chained in yards and, along with a Jefferson Parish animal control officer, is going to those homes to check on their well being, and, as needed, is rescuing and holding them until their people return".

Bless the hearts of all those rescuers, they are doing a wonderful job.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,530,443 times
Best friends was there already so they started .

Old 09-02-2008, 10:04 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,479,239 times
Dream, when all is said and done, I hope the truth gets out to the media .

Old 09-04-2008, 02:04 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times
Best Friends is doing great work. A friend of mine who did people rescue in N.O. spoke glowingly of their work.
Also, the Lousiana SPCA is a 4-star charity (charity navigator) and I"m sure they could use any and all financial help with this storm season. They're doing a great job.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:19 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,313,663 times
Well done Best friends and everyone who helped the animals of NO! Now that we've got the evacuation of humans down, New Orleans need to start making provisions for animal evacuation in future evacuations. I think it's asking too much of a driver and passengers to allow barking dogs and stressed out cats on a bus or in an open shelter like a gymnasium.

We can't avoid the hurricanes, but we can do something to stop the deaths of these innocent animals. Also people who leave their pets behind tied up should be prosecuted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs