Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:25 AM

342 posts, read 1,831,187 times

Advertisements

Hmmm... maybe it's time to invest in a carpet cleaner/shampooer?
It seems that's the consensus here.

I didn't expect one dog to stink up the carpet so much. The dog herself does not smell bad at all (no wet dog smell). Her rump area may smell a bit like urine, but that's about it. I brush her regularly and so far have not noticed much shedding at all.

I do vacuum regularly (multiple times a week), mostly to get chewed up cardboard and nylabone bits off the floor. Maybe I'll try an enxymatic carpet cleaner before going all out with the carpet cleaner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 07:01 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times
What I did when my dog was a puppy was use ammonia and white vinegar. It took away any odor and she never went back to the same spot. Also, it did not stain my carpet. Of course, I don't have that problem anymore and neither of my dogs ever has an accident, thank goodness for me.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:14 AM

5 posts, read 49,006 times
We've had dogs for 23 years. Have had accidents from every end possible! Some of them rather large (With labs that's sometimes extra large!) We recently found that ArmorAll carpet and upholstery cleaner for your car works wonders on your house carpet too! Once you absorb the "liquid" and/or solid portion of the accident - spray the area and follow the instructions on the can. It says it removes stains and odors. We figured if it works in our car carpet and upholstery it should work in the house too! And it does! Enjoy & Good luck!!! : )

Old 10-05-2008, 01:27 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
Resolve works nicely, until you can get to the pet supply store and follow the advice of the manager or owner.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:06 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times
First, I use an absorbent paper towel to lift off the urine.

I spray one of the urine spray solutions (Nature's Miracle) from the pet store.

I then proceed to use my steam vacuum on the area.

Luckily, he doesn't do this anymore. Luckily 90% of the areas was on ceramic tile.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 AM

822 posts, read 3,002,036 times
I use a spot vacuum (Dirt Devil purpose for pets) - I just think there is no substitute to steam cleaning. Then I rented a Rug Doctor a few weeks ago and it went to town on my carpet - wow. I've tried every possible product and technique - all of the enzymatic things, powders, etc. I still just think the deep vacuuming is key ...

Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Soak it up with napkins.
Spray mess with Woolite Pet Stain remover.
Soak it up again after 5 minutes.
Run the Bissell steam cleaner over it.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:36 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,187 times
I tried a carpet powder (eco/pet/child-safe pet odor remover) this weekend and it was awful. I treated the carpet overnight with it. As I was vacuuming up the stuff the next day, all this fine white powder rose up and basically filled my home with particulate matter in the air. It was bad enough that I had to breathe in the fine dust, but I was so worried about my pup, who's closer to the ground, inhaling all the powder. The powder that rose into the air then settled on household items all over the home. I've already vacuumed twice and there's still powder rising out of the carpet and filing the air. Needless to say, I won't be using that again. The carpet does seem less stinky though. But the whole experience was not something I'd like to repeat.

Are all carpet powders like that?? I can't imagine baking soda filling the air with particulate like that...

Another question:
Between steam cleaners and carpet shampooer/deep cleaners, which is more effective in removing pet urine odors? Or does it not matter? I assume both leave the carpet damp... how long does it take to dry?

Last edited by vemureaux; 10-06-2008 at 07:45 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,057 times
Try SUN (Severe Urine Neutralizer) Concentrate - Complete Urine Odor Remover. I ordered it from amazonmod cut I just sprayed a mixture of it on the affected part, let it stayed for quite some time.. for the mixture to be in contact and be absorbed by the affected area and after a few hours the smell was gone. Permanently gone I should say.. It doesn't leave another foul odor.
mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-25-2012 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: new users may not post links/no quoting directly from ads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs