Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:49 PM

122 posts, read 200,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
There are many who would disagree with you. Shock collars are a humane tool when used properly.
You are correct, with the key emphasis on properly. A shock collar should NEVER be used for house training that is just plain lazy imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Has she had a complete medical check-up? Don't just assume she is healthy if it is what the seller told you...he obviously has already lied to you at least once.
I agree with this...we've had the same situation and turns out the poor thing had a urinary tract infection. Antibiotics and boom, no more peeing in the house.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,939 times
my dog is great.....once while we were out, he became very sick with diarrhea. The spot chosen was the living wool oriental rug, because we do not really use that room. At times when I am out of town or infrequently in the middle of the night, he will urinate on the oriental rug......many cleanings with the pet miracle product, professionals, ect......wil getting rid of this rug stop this sporadic behavior. (He is 6 and this started 2 years ago.)

Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
The dog very well could have been potty trained. But its new surrounding, may be making the dog stressed out. They say stress also is not good for animals.

However the person also could have been lying.

I am asking for prayers right now for our baby, foxy who we love dearly, i posted please read.

However we got a shelter pet another larger adorable pom, that actually looks like a german shepard, he is all pom, but large.

When we first got him, he too would have accidents in the house infact anywhere he chose

I would take him outside, and not only priase him, for going outside, but give him a treat, and praise him all the way until we got inside the house. Took a little time, but eventually on his own, he realized outside was the place to go, maybe this will work for you too I hope it will.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,845 times
I have a poodle and all of a sudden he starting to pee in the house. I let him out 3 or 4 times daily. Ive trained him well but over the last 6 months he has been peeing in the house. I am at the point of giving him away! I can't take it anymore. ive cleaned my carpet 3 times in a month. he does it in the guess bedroom where no one sleep. I had it cleaned and shut the door. now hes gone to the office. He has never done this.. I need help or im getting rid of him!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:53 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,663 times
Some dogs like my go out regularly to toilet, I feel I am up and down all evening. Fortunately hubby will help, one of us will let him out and the other one brings him in. (Duke barks to go out and come back in).

Cleaning your carpet 3 times a month isn't what is needed, you need to focus on the area your dog wees on, I use "Simple Solution" it gets rid of odours and emzymes, not that we can smell it but a dog can, and a dog will go back and wee in the same spot time after time after time.

When I am training my dogs I have an indoor toilet(s) areas where it is acceptable for them to toilet.

My son made a dog loo, a wooden frame with very low sides that the dog has to step into to. The bottom was covered with lino/vinyl floor covering and newspaper. Very easy to clean.

I take my dogs outside on waking, after eating, after playing and if the dog looks like he is trying to find a spot to do the business.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:00 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
Sudden changes in Any kid of behavour Dog NEEDS a VET ASAP! It could be a UTI !!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 04:45 PM

153 posts, read 937,287 times
If she's peeing directly on your foot, it's probably not a housetraining issue so much as it is a marking issue.

I would keep a leash and training collar on her, keep it attached to you, when she pees in the house give her a quick and firm pop on the leash, then take her directly outside. If she finishes then praise and reward with a treat. You've done a good job so far giving her ample time to potty outside, and supervising her, but it sounds like she needs to know there are in fact consequences for soiling the carpet.

She has no reason NOT to pee on the carpet right now. (or on you, or anything else) Give her a reason. Then reward the right choice.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,640 times
@Viralmd: I have 2 babies (dogs, one is a pittadore the other is a whippet mix...both girls) I constantly use shock collars for both of my girls and they are the best trained dogs in the subdivision. I would rather have a shock collar on my girls than to not have one on them and see them get hit by a truck. It is a safety measure that, I think, should be on every furry baby. Yes, I just said, EVERY furry baby. For you to even suggest to a furry baby owner, "NO SHOCK COLLAR. EVER." I think that is very irresponsible of you. Now, for the person that would use the shock collar to see their furry baby cringe from the shock, I would say that the shock collar is NOT for you and your furry baby. But, for those of us that are responsible and use it to correct bad behavior, I would definitely recommend the shock collar and, I know what you are going to say, "would you put one on your child?" well, sir/ma'am, my dogs are my children and no I would not put a shock collar on my human children...BUT, just like children you must direct your animals and because they cannot understand English you direct them with the "shock" collar. If anyone has ever seen a dog who gets in their "zone" they completely tune out your voice and instinct takes over. This is where the shock collar takes over, you give them the noise that sounds a lot like, "beep beep beep" and (with my dogs) they focus on the noise and they lose their "zone"...I very rarely ever have to "shock" my girls anymore...I can walk them all over my neighborhood and all I have to carry with me is the remote no leash or anything...I recommend the "shock collar" for every one who wants their furry babies...Shame on you, Viralmd, for suggesting to someone, "NO SHOCK COLLAR. EVER."

Old 01-30-2016, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,834 times
How do I get my yorkie to stop peeing in the house. She will make a fuss and go outside first thing in the morning. After that she uses a pad that I have in the house for emergency. How can I brake this habit? Also if she sees me go into the bathroom she immediately pees on the pad. You can tell that she is pretty smart, maybe too smart...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs