Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:59 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,474,297 times

Advertisements

What you are going through is something we've all felt, and will again. Please check this site out. They have links to on-line support groups, and other relevant things which you may find helpful.

FYI, Dove Lewis Hospital here in Portland, Oregon is a 24-hour emergency animal hospital. 24/7. They have a grief counselor (MSW) who firmly understands that the relationship between a person and a dog is one of the most important relationships that a person will ever have. I am sorry.

DoveLewis - Emergency Animal Hospital (http://dovelewis.org/programs/Pet_Loss.aspx - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
So sorry for your loss. You gave her a good life and she is now romping in the great dog park in the sky.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:25 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,697,958 times
I have been there, and yes, hate it. Try later to think of happy times you did spent together.
Even do some type of memorial to your pets memory. I donot advise you to rush out to find a replacement. Mourn first, then, act and do a memory book. You might want another pet in time
or, maybe not. Been there, and send you hugs! Tufts veternarian hospital in MA also has real vets that will call you back, and listen to you.
It might help!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forloveoffriend View Post
My beloved Rottweiler (Roxie) had to be euthanized (cancer at the base of the throat near the heart) on Friday 1/2/09. She was 9 years old (had her since she was 6 weeks old) . I don't know how to continue on without her.
I'm so sorry for your lost. I cried for an entire weekend when my last golden died.

Hubby insisted on buying another puppy almost immediately, and I'm glad he did. At the beginning he took care of her, but the little thing was able to conquer my heart very soon. She helped a lot.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,663,754 times
This is so sad to hear! My heart aches with you! I know what you are feeling. It is a terrible thing to lose our furry friends. I went thru it with one of mine at age 17, she died right in my arms just before going into the room to have her put down. My Ginger girl is 13 and I often think about what if anything happens to her? I will be a basket case I know! Roxie has crossed over the Rainbow Bridge and you will see her again some day, but for now she is running and playing with all her friends. My condolences to you and I hope sometime soon you find a rescue in dire need of the love you have to give another! She/He will fill that little space in your heart that is so empty right now!

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp305/whymom3/petsorryforyourloss.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-05-2009, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,836 times
I appreciate so very much the messages of condolences from all of you about Roxie. They have brought me much comfort, and your words of encouragement haven given me much relief. I will read them again and again. Thank you for sharing and being able to offer me your best when you, yourselves, have suffered, equally as much, or even more. I thank you - much love to all.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:47 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
...Maybe you could just go visit a Humane Society or other Rescue to see how you feel. There are so many dogs that need loving homes and right now -- because of the economy -- shelters are overwhelmed.

Maybe you could just go there and visit.
Great idea when/if you feel up to it. Even if you could just go visit and help with all the animals. Volunteer some time. See how placing an animal with a new family brings so much joy. Perhaps someday you might find a new friend. No hurry though. If you don't feel like you can do it.

Talk about Roxie with all who knew her. Count all the great memories, funny things she did, places you took her, etc. Roxie would want your love for her to go on. If/when you're ready, open up your heart to another fur baby. There will never be another Roxie, but there is for sure another dog who would love being in your home and in your heart.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:11 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,452,897 times
It's Monday night. Tonight is the night we light candles at 7PM PCT to remember are dear fur children.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:31 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,474,297 times
Woofers, I know it's not the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi. Is this for all dear fur children or something just you & your family are doing?

I will remember to light a candle tonight, for you, for loveoffriend, and all of our dear critters who have passed. (But, sorry, I'm not sure what PCT is ?)

Thank you Woofers, for letting people know. This is a great idea.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:23 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,452,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Woofers, I know it's not the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi. Is this for all dear fur children or something just you & your family are doing?

I will remember to light a candle tonight, for you, for loveoffriend, and all of our dear critters who have passed. (But, sorry, I'm not sure what PCT is ?)

Thank you Woofers, for letting people know. This is a great idea.
It's on petloss dot com. Every Monday night at 7PM Pacific Coast Time, everyone lights a candle for their dearly beloved.

Candle Ceremony

http://www.mondaycandleceremony.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs