Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:35 PM

22 posts, read 145,466 times

Advertisements

Hi
I have a question concerning a dog registered with the AKC or APRI. I have always had an AKC registered dog when I had a pedigreed dog...now as Im looking for a new puppy Im finding ALOT of APR/APRI registered purebred dogs. I question the breeders and I get different answers as to why they are not AKC....from not agreeing with the "politics" of the AKC, to not wanting to do all the paperwork/cost. I am planning on going to a dog show to speak to more breeders, but I know what theyre answers will be also. SO, I was just wondering if anyone here has any info....I have read in fo from about 5 years ago and would like some up to date opinions. I want to be sure that my puppy is a pedigree/full bred.....due to the fact that I have an older dog and young children and want certain charecteristics....otherwise I would go to a shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 05:34 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
APRI is a marketing tool. Meaningless. However, an AKC registration is also pretty meaningless. Every puppy mill puppy has an AKC registration. The AKC does NOTHING to police the breeders of dogs that have certificates. The only way you can be sure is to talk to the breeder in person. Don't buy a dog over the internet. Make sure that you see the actual place where the dog is bred and don't be fooled by a cute 'nursery' with a couple of puppies. Millers and backyard breeders often take the ***** and puppies out of the squalor they usually keep them in and put them in a pretty room to assuage potential customers.

Don't be fooled. Neither of these is really worth the paper it's printed on. And the AKC certificate is only important if you intend to show. And if you intend to show, you'd likely already be in touch with show kennel that's expecting a litter.

It WOULD be preferable if you could either get a rescue dog or a dog that's retired from the ring. I got my pug from a show kennel: he wasn't show material, but I don't care. He had a caring breeder who was breeding to improve the breed, not make money. And THAT is what's important.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:51 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic65 View Post
I want to be sure that my puppy is a pedigree/full bred.....due to the fact that I have an older dog and young children and want certain charecteristics....otherwise I would go to a shelter.
Both of my dogs are rescue dogs that are certified pet therapy dogs. I don't know what "characteristics" you are looking for that would exclude shelter or rescue dogs.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times
AKC is a better registry overall. APRI is starting to clean up their act I think, but I'm still not sure I would trust most breeders registering APRI. Just because the AKC has been around a long time and there are many good AKC breeders doesn't mean all AKC breeders are good breeders. There are still bybs you use AKC and even some mills so you have to do your research. You have to talk and meet with breeders, get references, check pedigrees and research the bloodlines of the dogs you're looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Every puppy mill puppy has an AKC registration. The AKC does NOTHING to police the breeders of dogs that have certificates.
That is not true. I'm not sure where this info has been stated? Not every puppy mill dog is AKC registered and there certainly wouldn't be a way to prove that.

AKC is just a register though, you're correct they don't police breeders. However they do a lot more then APRI, their policies are reasons why some leave AKC. Maybe it isn't exactly policing breeders but anything helps. Their main goal would be registration/showing to make $ because they are still a business.

Quote:
The only way you can be sure is to talk to the breeder in person. Don't buy a dog over the internet. Make sure that you see the actual place where the dog is bred and don't be fooled by a cute 'nursery' with a couple of puppies. Millers and backyard breeders often take the ***** and puppies out of the squalor they usually keep them in and put them in a pretty room to assuage potential customers.
I completely agree here. A lot of puppy mills have these cute photos of their pups looking nice and pretty. Or in baskets with bows or flowers.

Quote:
Don't be fooled. Neither of these is really worth the paper it's printed on. And the AKC certificate is only important if you intend to show. And if you intend to show, you'd likely already be in touch with show kennel that's expecting a litter.
Maybe the registration certificate itself isn't worth much, it is after all just a piece of paper, so its probably not that important. However the pedigree sure is. I realize there is no 100% guarantee but having a legit pedigree to view can make a difference and be important. If there is a bad pedigree history then it'd be best to skip on that dog, even if the parents are good dogs or appear to be. One with a good pedigree history, from good parents and good breeder would be one to consider.

Quote:
It WOULD be preferable if you could either get a rescue dog or a dog that's retired from the ring. I got my pug from a show kennel: he wasn't show material, but I don't care. He had a caring breeder who was breeding to improve the breed, not make money. And THAT is what's important.
This is a good idea on the retired dog. I 2nd that. I also think breed specific rescue would be good. Although I don't know the OPs specific needs for a dog, but more then likely they just want a healthy, stable pet I'm assuming.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:59 PM

*Keeps pedigree records for pure bred dogs
*Has established conformation standards.
*Has other competitive dog sports such as obedience or agility. Also offers CGC test.
*Will only register dogs from AKC registered parents, dogs registered by a recognized legitimate FCI registry or dogs who's pedigrees are AKC 100% behind them. Or dogs registered with a legitimate registry into their FSS program.
*Does kennel inspections of breeders kennels
*Will revoke registration due to dishonest breeders or revoke privilages for a breeder to register dogs with AKC (reason why several people use APRI and other registries, which means they are probably not a good breeder)
*Requires DNA profile of studs used (I think, don't remember exact number) 3 or more times, which helps prevent people from falsifying documentation
*You can dispute pedigree or report dishonest breeders
*Online pedigree database allows you to search for your potential pups parents and view infomation about them. It will let you know if someone gave you and accurate pedigree and can show you stuff like conformation titles or health screening.
*Has forms for breeders to keep records on their dogs/pups they sell, which means keeping track of where their pups are going (these can be requested from the breeder at any time)

That is just a few things. You can see how that compares to APRI. I'm only a little familiar with APRI, even less then I am with AKC, I also know that a few things have changed with APRI.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:00 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
I didn't say EVERY puppy mill puppy has papers. Many do. Many are forged, too. But they're meaningless. All you need to do is to see a mill puppy with such bad knees and hips that it can't even walk. Then they tell you it has AKC papers. And the papers do what for the dog? I work in pug rescue and we get AKC mill puppies all the time. Not even close to the breed standard. And quite sick, with malformations and diseases that are due to poor breeding. ALL with AKC papers.

The AKC does nothing to regulate or police the people who breed. NOTHING. They keep paperwork. That's not the same as requiring their members to take good care fo their dogs. Prove that they do something besides paperwork (like inspecting their members' facilities), because you can't prove a negative.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-12-2009 at 06:35 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
I work in breed rescue too, and we routinely see AKC registered dogs with bad knees and hips, Addison's, Cushing's, PRA, LCPD, VonWillebrand's, epilepsy and bad comformation. For the past ten years the AKC has sponsored a canine health registry and foundation. The only enforcement power the investigative division has is withdrawing registration benefits.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
APRI has got a long way to go before even close to matching AKC. I too, would stay clear of breeders that are only registered with them. It takes very little $ to register a litter and not all that much paper work. Do your homework and see if you can get references for the breeder and follow up. Any red flags... and stay clear!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 35,824 times
The AKC does "police" breeders- they even go in and inspect how the dogs are kept and all the records the breeders have. They may not be able to do it often enough to suit everyone, but they do what they can.

APRI, in my opinion, is nothing but a puppymill/backyard breeder registry. They'll pretty much give any dog a registration. It's basically just a registry for those who don't want to abide by AKC rules but want to get more money for a "papered" dog. Sadly all those papers are actually good for is to line a crate with.

If you want to find a good breeder, you really have to do some research. Don't judge a breeder on a fancy website or sales pitch- visit them if possible. Ask to see health records on testing done on their breeding stock- not just a "vet check"- check the OFA database (orthapedic foundation for animals) and see what the breeder has really had done and their dogs results.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I didn't say EVERY puppy mill puppy has papers.
I know you didn't say "papers" which could mean from any registry whether that be AKC, ACA or APRI, ect. You actually specified AKC registration. Sorry if you meant something else but I took it as how it was written.
You said.

Quote:
APRI is a marketing tool. Meaningless. However, an AKC registration is also pretty meaningless. Every puppy mill puppy has an AKC registration.
Quote:
Many do. Many are forged, too. But they're meaningless. All you need to do is to see a mill puppy with such bad knees and hips that it can't even walk. Then they tell you it has AKC papers. And the papers do what for the dog? I work in pug rescue and we get AKC mill puppies all the time. Not even close to the breed standard. And quite sick, with malformations and diseases that are due to poor breeding. ALL with AKC papers.
The papers don't do anything for the dog. Papers are not for the dogs, they are for the humans. The papers do something for the person when they view the pedigree. It tells you there isn't health testing, hence the health problems. It also shows where the pup is coming from reputable breeders or byb/mills. That again is why the papers can be important, if you're going to buy a mill dog with papers then it'd make a lot more sense to just go to a shelter or rescue rather then support a mill directly.

Those mill Pugs all have AKC papers. Not every mill dog does.

I would expect them to have health issues, probably temperament issues and more then likely not conform to the breed standards. They are not from reputable kennels, but puppy mills.

I know dogs come into rescue and shelters with AKC or other papers often enough, I've had a few papered rescues. Its up to the person to do the research before getting a pup. It is also up to people to file a complaint against those breeders, but many never do. But they complain nothing is done. If I worked at the shelter and had a dog handed over with AKC paperwork I'd be contacting AKC about that breeder. Especially if there was a genetic health issue involved and other health problems.

It is also a problem with the people who get their dogs from these sources. If they didn't support financially do you think mills would stay in business? No way!

Quote:
The AKC does nothing to regulate or police the people who breed. NOTHING. They keep paperwork. That's not the same as requiring their members to take good care fo their dogs. Prove that they do something besides paperwork (like inspecting their members' facilities), because you can't prove a negative.
AKC does a few things to regulate breeders. Nothing would be the opposite. Do they catch every bad breeder? Do they step in on every mill? Do they stop all the bybs? No, not even the USDA does that and it is their responsibility to see that the law is being upheld when it comes to kennel requirements. Yet some with horrid mills (who have many, many dogs living in terrible conditions with serious problems) never receive a single inspection in years. I'm not sure how the AKC is supposed to have enough people employed to do the USDA's job for them 100%. If that were they case then they'd be an actual inspection organization or agency.

The knowledge of the AKC kennel inspection program is publically available for anyone to view. Its up to you to disprove it as a lie or fake. Of course then there are those people who were busted because of an AKC inspection and that is why they register ACA or ConKC. Perhaps they too are lying how the mean, bias people at AKC took their registration privileges away.

I don't give a flip about the AKC honestly. I don't have AKC breeds/registered dogs. I like the registries I use and don't wish for AKC recognition but I'm honest enough to admit that AKC does a lot more then any other registry in this country when it comes to upholding policy and regulations. Some other registries have a couple little policies to promote honesty and integrity in pedigree and records, but not much else. Others do nothing, you send them $10 they'll send you your registration. If your dog is a mutt but you send a fake pedigree of made up names it only matters that they have their $10.

What AKC does
*Kennel Inspects, have kennel and condition requirements
*DNA testing at kennel inspections
*Requires DNA profile for FUS who sire 7 (or more) litters a lifetime OR
over 3 litters within a year
*List health screening results - this is very important to those looking to purchase or adopt a dog from a breeder As then they wouldn't exactly have to worry about bad knees and hips
*Has Limited Registration (It'd be nice is more registries had this)
*Breeders are supposed to keep records on their dogs, breedings and dogs/pups sold for 5 years - these records can be requested at any time and the dogs can be inspected and tested at any time
*You can lose your registration privilages for refusing to give records or not keeping records, same with inspection and DNA program

A few other good things, though not related to breeding requirements
*Donated over 17 million to Canine Health Foundation
*Created CAR to help get lost pets back to their family
*Created DOGNY whichs supports SAR nationwide
*Registered handlers program

If you feel that AKC doesn't do enough that is one thing, to say they do nothing is another thing and untrue. Only being AKC registered means "nothing" in and of itself but registration where pedigree is concerned means something. Sometimes something good and sometimes something bad. So it is still helpful to look at the AKC paperwork and pedigree to determine is this breeder good or shady. That is the concept I'm speaking of, not that AKC means you also get a good dog from a great breeder nor that every AKC dog is in the hands of a good breeder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs