Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:41 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times

Advertisements

Happened to my X's lab once. They let her off leash at the culdesac...never again! One of the many reasons not to let your dog off leash! Get out the tomato juice! It is quite messy too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 02:42 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Oy vey is right! I have no recommendations -- I just wanted to say how great that you've kept your sense of humor through this stinky event.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:07 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,386,360 times
Taxidermists use an odor neutralizer when they mount skunks, or have to mount an animal that's not so fresh. Make sure it's safe for a live animal, but it's merely a strong soap. Vets are called to de-scent sprayed dogs too. Good luck! I sympathize.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:57 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,112,326 times
Ugh....I know at Sportsman's Warehouse there is a 'de-skunking' shampoo for dogs, but (knock on some very hard wood) I've never had to use it on these two Labs....and I hope never to have to. I don't know how the stuff works - if it does, but thought I'd pass that along. Good Luck

Old 03-07-2009, 03:56 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,869,871 times
Default Dumb, Dumb dog and Skunk

Your dog isn't dumb, just unfortunate! When I lived in Maine, we had skunks who use to come into the shed that was attached to our house. EVERYONE in Maine just about...at least Northern Maine has a SHED attacked to their house. So....we had these two dogs, a little white and tan Pekinese and a Border Collie Mix. The little Pekinese must have gotten sprayed in her lifetime a dozen times...no fooling. I kept a small plastic pool outside in the summer and plenty of cans of TOMATO JUICE available. Yes, TOMATO JUICE...give your dog a bath in it. Kills the smell instantly. Also...BEER works. My ex is a BEER Alchoholic and was not a happy camper when I would give the little Pekinese a bath in his beer. LOL.

By the way...the funniest episode EVER with skunks up there was the night my ex came home drunk (drunker than a skunk) and he walks into the shed and starts kicking the garbage that some critter had strewn around all over the place.."G.D. Skunks", "G.D. Skunks" he is hollering. Well, next thing I hear is him hollering even louder as the "G.D. Skunk" was still snacking on the garbage he had strewn all over. The Ex had gotten sprayed..BIG TIME. I made him strip outside and HE got into the bathtub with Tomato Juice...Now I got this DRUNK in my bathtub sitting in Tomato Juice stinkin up the house and it is probably 3:00 am! It took at least 2 days to get the smell out of the house let alone him. Well, at least it was one way to keep him from cheating on me cuz he stunk for days too!! LMAO

Old 03-07-2009, 11:27 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,525,827 times
Baking Soda and Peroxide. It works. Poor baby!!

Old 03-07-2009, 11:35 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,180,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Anyone have tips for killing the smell, which is permeating the house? And is there anything else I should do for him? Oy vey!!
Nature's Wonder worked for us for the smell in the house. We got it at our local Agway, but I think some pet stores also carry it. It didn't harm the furniture or carpets and got rid of the smell in about a day or so.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:59 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oy vey is right! I have no recommendations -- I just wanted to say how great that you've kept your sense of humor through this stinky event.
You have no choice when the stink is here! Luckily it seems to have gotten better, or maybe I'm just getting used to it... I forgot about the smell until I left him in my car (while grocery shopping), and caught a whiff when I got back and opened the door. Thanks for the tips everyone, and I'll use that recipe if it lingers much longer.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:07 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Happened to my X's lab once. They let her off leash at the culdesac...never again! One of the many reasons not to let your dog off leash!
I only let him off-leash in that one spot, and when we're at the park or beach... we live in the city, so it wouldn't be safe just anywhere! But that's the only time he gets to RUN, since I have a bad knee, and can't go faster than a brisk walk. Guess I'll just have to keep a closer eye on him, since it was really my fault for looking away.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:15 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,274,127 times
Default He's not dumb...just a dog....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sooooo, my dog is officially a complete dumba$$! Rudy and I were just on a walk, and I let him off leash where I always do (at a dead-end street)... he ran down the alley as usual, and then stopped & began rubbing his face on the ground. I figured he just caught a strong dog or cat scent, but he was really digging into the ground - so I called him back, and when he came towards me I noticed foam coming out of his mouth.

Then I caught the STRONG and horrible smell of a skunk, right about when I saw that little sucker running down the street. We have 2-3 skunks who've been living in the neighborhood for a while, stinking up the place on a regular basis. Now my dog's face was covered in their lovely odor, and he was starting to shake his head & foam profusely... I rushed him home, and promptly washed his face with cold water, followed by a long coconut-scented bath. The foaming stopped as soon as I washed his face/mouth, and after a good attack of the crazies and more head-rubbing, he's now settling down. Anyone have tips for killing the smell, which is permeating the house? And is there anything else I should do for him? Oy vey!!
Reminded me of a story my Hubby told me.
Back in the early 70's Hubby & his best friend had a male dobie. This was the runt of the litter, but he grew up to be HUGE. Hubby, his friend and several other guys, headed off on a trip to fish/party. The dobie smelled a skunk the dog was on it's trail. The dog got the large skunk & shook it to pieces. Didn't kill it, cause the dog must of lost it's grip & or got sprayed. The guys didn't know what to do. All they had was tide soap with them for their laundry. They washed this poor dog in tide threw it in the lake, and washed it again & threw it back in the lake.
Nothing helped. They put beer on the dog, (cause you know the guys had LOTS of beer with them). They tried everything. Hubby said, that dog got so tired of being thrown in the lake & yelled at to "go away". Poor dog was so sad.
The funniest part of the story was, when it was time for all the guys & dobie to come back home, the guys about died.
They all came together in a big van...with the dog, so they all had to go back home the same way.
All the guys got sick, because of the smell...they only had to drive 275 miles back home like this..
That's how I really new my Hubby & his friends were good guys. They brought the dog home with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs