Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times

Advertisements

Well I have always liked the English Bulldog and have been looking for good rescue groups to adopt one. I want a female to be with my boy Dakota. I have found a few good females but the rescue groups are looking for $500 to $800 for a young or adult female. Is this the avg price to adopt one ? I could buy a pup for the $800 but would rather rescue a dog at this point. Does anybody know of good rescue groups or advice on where to look ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 12:49 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
I don't have any direct links at the moment but will take a look around for you. I work in Boston Terrier and French Bulldog rescue.

The adoption fees you quoted are fairly common, especially in brachycephalic breeds. They usually have many health issues to address, along with any other problems that put them into rescue in the first place - such as poor socialization, aggressiveness, etc. Fostering and getting a dog ready for adoption can be a long and expensive process.

You cannot buy a well bred English Bulldog from a reputable breeder who does all the health testing (OFA, BAER & CERF) for $800. A quality pup like you mention would cost you more than double that. For $800, you'll get a pup from a BYB or worse.

I hope you will stick with the rescue option. You will have a better chance of adopting a dog that "fits" you, your lifestyle and other pets in the home. You'll be saving a life too.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 AM

5 posts, read 22,401 times
The Bulldog Club of America Rescue Network is the site for the Bulldog Club of America rescue group.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:52 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
It's great that you're considering resuce. I got my old rescue girl last year (a chihuahua, not a bulldog) and she's convinced me that from now on, it's ONLY going to be through rescue that I'm getting any other dogs.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
I don't have any direct links at the moment but will take a look around for you. I work in Boston Terrier and French Bulldog rescue.

The adoption fees you quoted are fairly common, especially in brachycephalic breeds. They usually have many health issues to address, along with any other problems that put them into rescue in the first place - such as poor socialization, aggressiveness, etc. Fostering and getting a dog ready for adoption can be a long and expensive process.

You cannot buy a well bred English Bulldog from a reputable breeder who does all the health testing (OFA, BAER & CERF) for $800. A quality pup like you mention would cost you more than double that. For $800, you'll get a pup from a BYB or worse.

I hope you will stick with the rescue option. You will have a better chance of adopting a dog that "fits" you, your lifestyle and other pets in the home. You'll be saving a life too.
Thanks! I do have some connections and was offered barter a while back (website + cash) for an English Bulldog. I am well aware of the medical problems of the breed (I think!). I had a Great Pyrneese with hip displacia and currently have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I make it my business to check on problems. I have a great vet too in town which I am extremely lucky to have.
As I said I really dont wanna buy an expensive pup, a resuce is what I am looking for.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:28 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
We have an EB and work closely with the Bulldog rescue in our area. Not one of their dogs is healthy, which is why they are in rescue in the first place. (this only goes for this breed; other rescues have awesome, healthy dogs, so don't be put off by rescue) We just had an event with the group, and you wouldn't believe the condition of some of these dogs. You've got mange, cherry eye, entropian, skin conditions, joint problems, severe agression, etc. The adoption fee here is $800 as well. They tell people it's because of vet bills, but I know for a fact that a local Bulldog vet does all the work for free for them, so it really isn't. A friend of ours has been wanting to adopt through them for a year now, but every dog they offer them has serious health or agression issues, so they finally gave up last week and adopted a Corgi instead from the humane society.

More and more people are relinqueshing bullies because healthcare is VERY expensive and they just can't afford it. This is a breed that can get very sick, very fast. If there is a virus going around, your Bulldog will get it and your vet bill will be much higher than that of say a lab. We've had 2 serious infections that he picked up at Bulldog events in the 5 months we've had him and spent $2k on his vet bills already.

Where can you buy a Bulldog puppy for $800? The pet stores, which are esentially puppy mills, sell them for $1500 in our area. Our dog was almost double that and came from a reputable breeder. Seeing how sick all the rescue bulldogs are we decided that if we ever want another, we will just get it from our breeder again. Though I highly doubt that'll be the case, since our second will most likely be a mutt from rescue. Good luck with your search!

Old 03-30-2009, 11:18 AM

The $800 was with a $1200 website I would have traded totalling $2,000 for the dog.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:07 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Ohh I was wondering as well how on earth can you get a full breed EB for $ 800.- other than at the rescue.

Mine was $ 1600.- and that was even cheap...mostly because his brothers had more white than him but he is so beautiful and reallly looking alike as many of the pictures that are used for advertisments.

They are cute, funny, lazy, smelly at times, snoring (which I love since it makes me fall asleep even faster), only the slobber is something you must not forget since it is a lot and specially when they shake their head after having been drinking some water....

We are very neat and like nice clothes and we try as hard as we can but we use a lot of towels and sheets for the car to stay as nice as possible, but we don't want to leave him home since he and our other dog are going with us every where if the places allow dogs!

If you like attention...get a EB...every one has something to say or a reason to walk up to you!

Old 03-30-2009, 12:33 PM

I have been looking for one for a while and posted here just to see if $800 was the norm and that seems a bit much for a rescue. I saw a white female Staffordshire Bull Terrier purebred I can pick up for about $50. Shes only 8 weeks old. I am supposed to pay a pretty big refundable deposit after she gets spayed but they know my male is spayed and I got reference from my vet that Dakota is indeed a well taken care of family dog and not an abused dog that would be used for illegal purposes. They screen to see if the dog will be fought/baited etc. Shell not be bred either. I love puppies but dont have the time or patience to deal with em 24/7 for 10 weeks :S hehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs