Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 04:11 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,364,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Person A pays the bill and gets over it.
I agree. The key thing here is, BOTH owners had their dogs leashed and BOTH agreed to let the dogs meet and greet. There is always the chance one dog will take a dislike to the other, and they move very quickly to act on that dislike. It's difficult sometimes to read their body language in order to prevent a bit. But the other dog wasn't injured; it was just an abrasion. It happens a lot. The thing is though, both owners agreed to the meeting and had their dogs leashed and under their control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 04:35 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,580,764 times
I agree that person A should pay the whole bill. I would pay for my dog if I let my dog and another were to meet and my dog was injured. It would be my fault for not watching him more closely.

Many years ago one of my dogs, who has since passed on, got into a fight with a smaller dog at the dog park. I was on it quickly but the other dog was injured and had some puncture marks. The other dog instigated it. The owner took her dog to the vet but nothing was ever said about the bill. We just made sure the dogs never got close to each other again.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
I don't let my dog say hi to other strange dogs.

Because you never know and I do not want to get dragged into this b.s.

My dogs have never been aggressive with another dog, but I tell people who approach, "She is still learning manners" so they are politely deflected.

We have 4 dogs, so they are not longing or doggie company.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:13 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,791,068 times
Thanks for sharing BluesGal1 ! It is refreshing to see people take responsibility and not blame others !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesGal1 View Post
Hi Mearth,

Thank you for posting your incident. Mine was similar in that they were both on leashes and my 'Big" dog did the biting (in my case, mauling). It took place on the sidewalk in the subdivision. We both live quite close to each other but had never met.

Dog B - 9 yr old Golden Retreiver 85 lbs had NEVER shown aggression, well socialized, lives with his best friend a 3 lb Yorky. (I was dog-sitting Dog B on this day and coming back from walking him).
Dog A is a mixed poodle breed about 8 lbs (I'm guessing) and 12 years old.

My 'Dog B' and I first spoted the little dog and owner as we were walkiing up from a deep grass embankment to go home after his walk. My Dog B has a fixed stare on her as Dog A was barking. My Dog B lunged forward up the hill (with me pulling as hard as I could to try to turn him around to go back down the hill.) He litterally pulled me up to the sidewalk as I was using 2 hands on the leash pulling with all my might to get him to turn around. No luck, couldn't budge him.

I didn't see Dog A and owner had crossed the street toward to the sidewalk we were heading to. My Dog B, visciously attacked Dog A as she was lying on the sidewalk at the feet of her owner behind her.
Finally, I grabbed my dog's collar with two hands and pulled him off her. He had bitten her back and belly.
I quickly walked my dog B back to my house (4 houses down) and the owner picked up her dog and walked home and took her directly to the vet (as I later found out.) The Vet called the police. The police came to my house and so did the Animal Control. They ran a check for Dog B but he had no record. Animal control 'sentenced' Dog B to a total of 13 days 'house arrest'.
Dog A's owner called to keep me posted on her little dogs progress. The police would not give me her phone number or addres but I heard him call in to his station and caught the address as he told the operator where she lived. I asked the cop if he could tell her to PLEASE call me. He did.
She was wonderful to talk to, I apologized to her and I felt under the circumstances she was very calm She had to go to the vet everyday single to get her dog's bandages changed, treat the infection and then to debride dead skin and have treatments to protect a huge open wound on her dog's back.The photos were excruciating to look at. I don't know how this little dog recovered! She is still being treated by the owner at home (bandages and meds) but is very close to being 100% well. She brought her over for me to see her. She was such a sweet dog and obviously very tough to have survived.

ENDING"
I took TOTAL responsibility for this entire event and GLADLY paid Dog A's vet bills myself. Her dog LIVED! That is all I cared about. With a clear conscience I couldn't stick the vet bill to our insurance co. or the family member owner's insurance. It was I who was in charge of the dog! I thank God it wasn't a child who was injured. Our whole family learned a lot about dogs and responsibility that day.
It was a trauma I'll never forget. To be watching it happen and to be so ineffective to stop it is more anxiety than I ever care to go through again.

ps. People, you may think your dog is a sweetheart as this Dog B has always been and still is. The fact is you just can't be 100% sure what's gonna flip him out. Truthfully, he can't be trusted any more. A 'muzzle' might be a great investment for your pooch on walks where there are many dogs also walking. If you think you can pull a 90 lb dog off another dog that's flipped out, you CAN'T. I'm not walking dogs any more. I'm sticking to house sitting them and playing with them in the back yard.

Wishing You All the Best. Please protect yourself and your beloved canines!

Old 07-14-2014, 06:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
I'm still trying to get over person B thinking person A is a friend when person A called animal control before even having a conversation with person B about it.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:10 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,819,596 times
The OP hasn't been back, so I'm wondering if the OP's story was a real event, or if it was a hypothetical situation. After all, OP didn't say "I was walking my dog..." Additionally, for all we know, the OP could be the person whose dog was bit and called animal control on the other dog.

Also, the OP has only ever made that one post, so could be a troll.

EDIT: And the OP posted in 2009.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:48 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,916,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't let my dog say hi to other strange dogs.

Because you never know and I do not want to get dragged into this b.s.

My dogs have never been aggressive with another dog, but I tell people who approach, "She is still learning manners" so they are politely deflected.

We have 4 dogs, so they are not longing or doggie company.
Exactly. As a dog walker I guarantee you that you cannot "believe" anything someone else says even about their OWN DOG!

I never ever ever allow my client near another human or pet.

No matter WHAT the disposition of EITHER dog is or appears to be.

Once I had a Doxie who LOVED other dogs. In my high rise. I had seen the owner having him playing with all the other residents' dogs for months. He also lived with another dog and never had issues.

I arranged a "play date" with a wacky Doodle 5 month old who needed socializing.

I brought the Doxie to the the Doodle's home, and the Doodle picked up her OWN TENNIS BALL and the Doxie IMMEDIATELY went after the Doodle with hair raised.

Of course I had him on a leash so nothing happened because I was still evaluating the genius idea I had.

I took the Doxie home and told the owner later.

She goes: "Oh yeah, I never mentioned to you that he's very aggressive with tennis balls only."

I KNEW that the three triggers for fights were: food, toys, territory. I just never expected it from HIM.

That was my lesson to stay out of my client's "enrichment" and stick to being on task. LOL.

Dog's speak their own language and sometimes it is only a glance (evil eye) or stare or where the tail or head is positioned. 99.9% of owners have no clue about that. The moment a dog has his head on/near the shoulder area of another dog you have dominance and can bet on a fight if dog B objects. Barely perceptible unless you're looking for it.

And you NEVER NEVER EVER let two dogs greet face to face. I always make my dogs face the WALL in elevators in crowded buildings with other dogs. Once one of my clients was on the elevator with his dog and another person's dog SNIFFED and pawed his leg and his dog attacked her. She was 12 lbs. He KNEW better. I told him he needed to keep her BEHIND him but he forgot and let his guard down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs