Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times

Advertisements

The only way you will see mites is under a microscope...if you have one...make a slide...they are very teeny tiny white specks about the size of a pinhead! Sounds gross, but they are feeding on skin debris. The discharge is reddish-brown or black and waxy.
You would know if it were a hematoma....It is a swollen ear flap. Most likely would have a very large lump, bubble type thing on the inside of his ear and it would be filled with blood. Vigorous shaking of the head or rough playing ( my female mama dog used to get these at least once a litter from the puppies). And yes, a draining a is required...or the ear can literally shrivel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:10 AM

156 posts, read 318,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
The only way you will see mites is under a microscope...if you have one...make a slide...they are very teeny tiny white specks about the size of a pinhead! Sounds gross, but they are feeding on skin debris. The discharge is reddish-brown or black and waxy.
You would know if it were a hematoma....It is a swollen ear flap. Most likely would have a very large lump, bubble type thing on the inside of his ear and it would be filled with blood. Vigorous shaking of the head or rough playing ( my female mama dog used to get these at least once a litter from the puppies). And yes, a draining a is required...or the ear can literally shrivel .
Ok...I feel a little better. His ear is not swollen or red at all, just the black stuff. I think I will stick with the peroxide for a while. He doesn't like it but I can't help that. I'm just getting ready to put some more in his ear and was trying to figure out how to warm it up a little bit. I think that is part of the problem, when I put it in his ear it is cold.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:57 AM

Well...also, if there is any infection at all...it is probably "fizzing" in his ear. If the ear is not red or scratched or at all irritated...I would go along with the alcohol...one it one fizz and two...it is more likely to kill the mites (if that is what it is). If it is at all red or scratched and irritated DON'T use the alcohol as he will hit the ceiling with the burning.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:11 AM

156 posts, read 318,402 times
Thanks for the advice ShelbyGirl1 I just put more peroxide in his ear. But maybe I will try the alcohol tomorrow. The vet told me to mix 1/2 alcohol and 1/2 white vinegar so I will have to pick up the vinegar. He sure doesn't like the peroxide but he has never liked anyone messing with the inside of his ears or the bottom of his feet (I used to "tickle" the hair on the bottom of his feet when he was a pup, I think I gave him a complex). I wish I could take him to the vet, but as I said before I have been unable to work for 2 years now. My boyfriend is out of town working right now so things are really difficult. I live in an apartment beneath his parents and they love Boo and would take him if they could but they are still trying to pay the vet for an emergency c-section followed by a spay on another son's dog Baby Girl. Sadly none of the pups made it but Baby Girl is fine. But money is very tight right now. Hopefully these things will clear his ear up. Is it weird that it is only in one ear and not both??? He is not acting like he doesn't feel good except for the occcassional head shake.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:57 AM

Just in case it is the mites...clean both ears.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
This is not sound advice. To treat effectively and prevent more harm, you need to know WHAT you're treating. Antibiotics don't treat fungi and antifungal medications don't treat bacterial infections.

You need to take your dog to the vet to get a diagnosis first, before you start on any over-the-counter treatments. It might be simple but it could be serious. You won't know until you get a diagnosis - FROM A VET.

And just so you know: it's physically IMPOSSIBLE to go "too far" in a dog's ear with a cotton swab. The ear canal makes a 90 degree turn to get to the eardrum, and, unless your swab can go around a 90 degree turn, you cannot hurt your dog's ears.
The dog went to the vet, and all that was needed, at least for me, were the ear drops they sell for dogs? the vet had the drops, so I put them in, and all was ok.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:27 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellimatt View Post
In case anyone else has this problem. I called our vet and they suggested putting peroxide in his ear once a week. Or she said I can mix white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture and put that in his ear. Hopefully this clears it up. Thanks everyone for all the advice.
I also was told to use peroxide, I am glad it worked for you!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:28 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
my Malti-Poo has always had the black gunk in her ears. Never has been mites. Vet said it's ear wax. I clean her ears with a solution I got from the vet. I have to clean her ears everyday! AND pluck the hair from her ears.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 9,303 times
My dog had surgery a few yrs back on his left ear and now he keeps getting this smelly black tar stuff in his ear is there something I can use at home to clear this up?? Whatever it is

Old 02-22-2011, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 8,905 times
This is EXACTLY what my dog seems to be having! I have ear cleaner so I will get straight to using that... how often were you guys cleaning your dogs ears to get rid of the problem??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs