Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 01:05 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

I've had three dogs pass away in their sleep peacefully. Neither seemed to be in pain during their last weeks of their lives. I've had one dog pass away during surgery to remove a liver tumor. And I had one cat put to sleep because his diabetes wasn't manageable.

I think that the most important thing is that our pets are not suffering or in pain at the end their lives. I wish that humans could have that same right to exit gracefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 02:24 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
I agree with Viralmd. We had to put down our beloved peke at 14. She had congestive heart failure and was on meds for about a month doing better but finally she was suffering, not eating well, not enjoying life anymore. If a dog happens to die in their sleep fine, but the dogs we've had over the years didn't do that.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:36 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
I agree with Viralmd as well. Here's a poem I've always loved, from the animals perspective.....

copyrighted poem: http://www.argusinstitute.colostate....ow%20Frail.pdf

Last edited by leorah; 04-19-2009 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: TOS violation: copyright infringement

Old 04-18-2009, 03:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I just ran across a retired woman and her dog on a hiking path. We got to talking and she said she grew up on the farm and they never put dogs down. They just let them die naturally, and often the dogs passed away in their sleep.

When my dog was dying, I often wondered if I should have spent the time with her holding her and being with her instead of rushing off in a panic to the vet to spend a few hundred having her put to sleep.

I've known many people whose pet died naturally at home and it was usually very peaceful. Humans pass away at home naturally.

What are your thoughts?
Depends on what the dog is dying of. I cannot justify allowing an animal to suffer just because I like the idea of letting them die at home. I think if the quality of life is ok and they are not in pain there would be no harm in it. Personally, I would rather get it over with but that is selfish because it is hard to watch. YMMV

It's one of those deeply personal choices that nobody really has the right to judge one way or the other, I guess.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-18-2009, 11:19 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,160,787 times
I had my precious peek-a-poo 16 years. Her last year of life she suffered from Canine Cognitive Dysfunction along with some other issues.
I waited for her to pass at home. I just knew she would and preferred it happen that way. There were times at night,when I woke to check on her, that she would seem to be in a comatose state. I would hold her,crying and just knew she would take her last breath. But no-she always came around. I didn't know whether to feel relief or not. What a delimma.
She didn't really know us any longer. She urinated on herself. Her quality of life was BAD. I guess I was either too selfish or naive. I really thought,as did her vet, that she would simply pass-any day now--and that turned into a year! Finally I took control of my emotions and made the decision to have her put down. I think it was a year too late and I live with that every day.
I guess my point is--take their best interest into consideration first. My emotional attachment to her should not have kept her alive.
She still lives in my heart and would have anyway. Gosh I loved that fur baby.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:47 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I know if I were doomed to a life of pain and oblivion, I wold want to pass peacefully into the next dimension...no creature should have to suffer, and I firmly believe humans should be able to request euthanasia for themselves if their situations were so dire. I will do everything I can to heal my animals in times of sickness if they will have a fighting chance at a pain-free, good-quality life, but if it is only pain for them to look forward to, I set them free. I know their spirits are grateful to me for that. When we have to euthanize animals at the emergency center, sometimes the owners are too distraught to be present for the injection. We look into the animals eyes, pet them gently, tell them they are loved, and that they should go to the raimbow bridge. Somehow, I know they understand and are at peace with it. It is so much worse to see them gasping for life on a silver table, holding on despite their pain because they are afraid their parents will not be okay without them...yes, they are that loyal. They will suffer for us, needlessly. Some animals pass quietly in the night without forewarning...this is the best thing, even if it is sudden and it hurts us to be separated from them so abruptly. They are our angels, they heal our emotions as we heal their physicality...it is a beautiful symbiosis, but we must remember that angels belong in the spirit world and so we must set them free when the weight of 3-d reality sets upon them so heavily that they can not be comfortable here. Guilt has no place in that...it is one of the most selfless acts we can have the honor of bestowing.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:40 AM

549 posts, read 2,204,886 times
I agree with others, that it all depends on the circumstances...if your pet isn't suffering and is still able to eat, drink, and have a reasonable quality of life, then there's no reason to put it down. However, if it's suffering, unable to have reasonable quality of life, then I feel it's humane and loving to help your friend move onto to the next level. Why allow a pet to suffer, just so it can die naturally? A natural death isn't the same as lingering with an illness or crippled with pain.

When I felt it was time to take my beloved Barnie to the vet to euthanize, she was clearly suffering, she was very uncomfortable and little to no quality of life. Sure, I could've just let her linger and eventually she would've died on her own...but how long would she have continued to live like that? It was one of the hardest moments of my life, but one I will never regret. I held her, stroked her, talked to her during the entire process....even when she had fallen into that deep sleep, just before the final shot that ended her life....she heard my voice telling her I love her and will see her again...I told her to go to my loved ones that had already passed (not in those words) and continued to lovingly stroke her well after her final breath and heartbeat. Did this hurt me, hell yes...did I do the right thing by my best friend, hell yes. I can only wish that when it's my time, that I cold have that gentle and loving of an end to this life.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:54 AM

6 posts, read 68,063 times
I held my dog Junior in my arms when we had him put down, emotionally it is a very painful thing to do, but it's the humane way to do it, why let them suffer. After time passes we eventually got a new dog, followed by another dog (this one we saved from the pound).

One other note-PLEASE RESCUE DOGS AND CATS, ETC FROM SHELTERS AND GIVE THEM A LOVING HOME AND PLEASE HAVE THEM NEUTERED OR SPAYED. Sorry this is my animal rights talking out, I hate seeing the abuse and neglect done to animals, it makes me sick!

Mrs Casey

Old 04-19-2009, 07:17 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
So many tender, heartbreaking stories here. Though it's sad, this has become a beautiful thread in its own way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I've heard of a lot of pet passing at home peacefully.
Yes, you mentioned that. I can only share what I've been taught and my own personal experience.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:20 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
I'm sure our vet would do that, but I need my time with my dog when it's over with. Our vet would wait for me to say my good-byes to our baby. I would feel rushed & guilty him having to wait, where as in his office I can stay with my pet as long as I want.
I say...to each their own...and thank goodness our pets have a chocie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs