Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:39 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc1977 View Post
Hi I am in need of trying to get a pet, my preference is a Westie because of their temperment but if anyone else knows of another type of breed to consider please let me know...the obama's new dog is beautiful as a puppy but he gets to be too big for me..thanks
You will think I am nuts, but we adopted an American Pit Bull Terrier from a rescue shelter and she is absolutely the best dog I have ever had. I am 61 years old, have had alot of dogs and thought the dog I had as a kid was the best ever. He ws shepherd/collie mix but this one by far is the best. She doesn't bark, has NEVER peed or messed in the house, is loving and affectionate, barely sheds and loves everyone. Contrary to what people tell you about Pit Bulls, they ARE by far one of the most awesome family dogs ever. My nephew and his wife bought a pit bull puppy about 2 months ago, named her Tess and they have a 3 year old daughter and are expecting a new baby this summer. Tess is only 10 weeks old and already my nephew has taught her to sit, speak and shake. She just recently also mastered asking to go outside, loves their 3 year old to death and last week when my niece-in-law was sick, Tess laid with her and rested only taking time to go outside to pee...they are magical!

As far as the "someday turning on you and biting"....any dog can do that. I had a black pekinese and he was horrible with the biting...bit my son on the ear when my son was little and I sent him (the dog) into orbit. He was so bad with biting EVERYONE that I had to have him put down..vicious and only 15 pounds!

Good luck with your choice in pets.....they are a true blessing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 11:27 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times
Please keep in mind a dog is what it's owner makes of it.

There will obviously be some traits that are more specific to a certain breed that may make it more likely to be a good candidate for a family, but over all, the way they turn out is a direct reflection of how much time and effort the owner puts into training. So, unless you're looking for a dog for a specific job or sport, most anything is going to work for your family. A good rescue can even help match your family to the perfect pet.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:12 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,955 times
Please visit your local shelter for a small dog in dire need of a loving home. You would be saving a doomed pets life and you will be sure to find one with a great temperment in there! They are all starving for love and affection! Good luck. You can also look on petfinder.com Just put in your zipcode for a local search!

Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Please visit your local shelter for a small dog in dire need of a loving home. You would be saving a doomed pets life and you will be sure to find one with a great temperment in there! They are all starving for love and affection! Good luck. You can also look on petfinder.com Just put in your zipcode for a local search!
Alot of shelters dont have small dogs...those are usually the first to go when they come in. I want a yorkie and I havent seen one yet and all I can find on the internet are dogs that have health problems or special needs...I personally dont want to deal with that...If I was looking for a Lab or pitbull I could find a great dog easy but little dogs are hard to come by in the shelters

Old 04-23-2009, 11:13 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Alot of shelters dont have small dogs...those are usually the first to go when they come in. I want a yorkie and I havent seen one yet and all I can find on the internet are dogs that have health problems or special needs...I personally dont want to deal with that...If I was looking for a Lab or pitbull I could find a great dog easy but little dogs are hard to come by in the shelters
Small Dog Rescue and Humane Society in Atlanta has 3 of them that are pure breeds. And there is another listed through them that's currently in Florida, but getting a free transport set up to bring a dog to you that you've adopted is super simple. Expand your search to all of GA instead of strictly in Atlanta and there are dozens, all pure bred.

This one is precious. Underweight, but that's easy to fix. No medical problems. Because of his very small size, no children. That's the only issues I could possibly see you having with him:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13498638

Another tiny pure breed, no children again though. And with small dogs, unless you have a history of them, you'll have a hard time finding any rescue that will place them in a home with children.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13289477

I can find a rescue dog of any breed for any person that wants one at any time. It's easy to find them. God knows there are more than enough dogs of every breed that are homeless right now.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:30 PM

756 posts, read 2,218,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc1977 View Post
Hi I am in need of trying to get a pet, my preference is a Westie because of their temperment but if anyone else knows of another type of breed to consider please let me know...the obama's new dog is beautiful as a puppy but he gets to be too big for me..thanks
Consider a Bichon Frise. They are small, nonshedding and look similar to a Westie.

They have wonderful temperments and are so loving!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:36 PM
YBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Small Dog Rescue and Humane Society in Atlanta has 3 of them that are pure breeds. And there is another listed through them that's currently in Florida, but getting a free transport set up to bring a dog to you that you've adopted is super simple. Expand your search to all of GA instead of strictly in Atlanta and there are dozens, all pure bred.

This one is precious. Underweight, but that's easy to fix. No medical problems. Because of his very small size, no children. That's the only issues I could possibly see you having with him:

Adopt a Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie: Hawthorne: Petfinder

Another tiny pure breed, no children again though. And with small dogs, unless you have a history of them, you'll have a hard time finding any rescue that will place them in a home with children.

Adopt a Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie: Tiger: Petfinder

I can find a rescue dog of any breed for any person that wants one at any time. It's easy to find them. God knows there are more than enough dogs of every breed that are homeless right now.
Thanks for the info I have been looking for several months already and havent had any luck. The first link youve posted is a cutey but I dont fit the criteria they have posted so I cant adopt anything from them. Im sure there is a yorkie somewhere homeless that I can adopt but besides the fact of being hard to find most adoption processes make it so ppl dont want to go through the hassel...so I stnad by my original post and Im most likely going to find a dog from a breeder. Thanks!!

Old 04-23-2009, 02:36 PM

751 posts, read 2,480,585 times
Check out petfinder.com. That is how I found my $30 purebred boxer. She is the love of my life. I can't even remember life without her.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:48 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
Check out petfinder.com. That is how I found my $30 purebred boxer. She is the love of my life. I can't even remember life without her.
I agree, petfinder will have small dogs for adoption. Just type in your local zipcode and search for the breed you want. One will sure come up soon or a later!

Old 04-23-2009, 03:13 PM
YBF

Ive been to the site Ive seen some dogs I may have been interested in but I dont like most places adoption policies...I dont want a stranger inspecting my house ...there isnt a reason for it. And here in Atlanta the small dog rescue only adopts to one area and if you live outside of it they wont let you adopt. Im sure that anybody who would take the time and money to adopt an animal has a home that is 10x better than the cell the shelter keeps the pups in. I think that more people would adopt if the red tape around adpting was less.. I can get less hassle from a breeder and sometimes spend less money as well for a puppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs