Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM

13 posts, read 29,155 times

Advertisements

We are looking into getting a puppy for our family. We have a older cat and 3 school aged children. The kind of puppy we would need would have to be able to get along with a cat. We would also need to house/crate train as much as possible due to us being at work/school. Does anyone have any sugestions or experiences with particular breeds or mixed breeds. Also we are looking for the dog to be a small/medium to medium size dog. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 PM

511 posts, read 2,198,947 times
I (personally) would stay away from herding breeds- heelers, border collies, corgis, ect. They can be nippy (it's just in their nature) and usually have alot of energy & need to be kept pretty busy.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Frankly, if you have 3 kids and an older cat and a lifestyle which calls for the puppy or dog to be crated "as much as possible" I think it sounds like you already have your hands full. Why are you thinking of adding a dog?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 PM

593 posts, read 889,841 times
Default What type of puppy would be good with a cat and children in a household

We have a greyhound mix that loves all animals including cats. He kisses our neighbors cat daily as the cat was exposed to a dog previously. Last
weelk my daughter and granddaughter moved in and brought two great cats. Our Ali began kissing them within three days and now they are all pals.

Last edited by DASULAR17; 03-02-2010 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: formating

Old 03-03-2010, 05:22 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Frankly, if you have 3 kids and an older cat and a lifestyle which calls for the puppy or dog to be crated "as much as possible" I think it sounds like you already have your hands full. Why are you thinking of adding a dog?

agreed ..... life in a crate is no life for a dog.......

Old 03-03-2010, 05:34 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Agree that you already have your hands full. Dogs don't deserve to be shut up in a crate. And you can't predict what dog will like cats by breed. Some dogs, in the same breed, like cats, others don't.

But do the dog a favor: don't get one.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:52 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Agree that you already have your hands full. Dogs don't deserve to be shut up in a crate. And you can't predict what dog will like cats by breed. Some dogs, in the same breed, like cats, others don't.

But do the dog a favor: don't get one.
Agreed! There is no predicting what dog is going to "like" a cat, no more than you can predict your older cat liking the dog! Are you prepared for the older cat to "object" to the newbie? Usually appears in the form of litterbox problems. Has your cat ever spent any time around a dog?
Puppies are full time 24/7 work. Training and socializing are important. Do you have that time. And no matter what the kids say, that they will walk, clean up after, etc, the dog....YOU KNOW, it will fall onto you.
Crates are wonderful, but a dog/puppy does not belong in one for more than a 2 hrs at a time. (other than sleeping at night) Do your sanity a favor and hold off on another addition.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,231 times
Agree with the other advice on this thread. Your situation does not sound good for getting a dog. An older cat, school-age children, everybody away during the day...not a good combo.

Your cat is not going to be happy. We have an English Bulldog, Louie, and our two adult cats hate him. If you have to get a dog (and I think you shouldn't) avoid the ones with high prey drives -terrier breeds, for instance. Our dog has very little prey drive, but he likes to play and will chase the cats, try to head-butt them and swat them. It's pretty comical but the cats are not amused. Probably the best scenario for cats and dogs co-existing peacefully is when you introduce a kitten to a dog. Once cats get older and set in their ways, they do not like the disruption of a dog.

I don't know what your schedules are, but we have to leave Louie alone (not crated but in a bedroom, separated from the cats, for their mutual well-being) for about 25 hours a week. And I feel bad about that! If I had my druthers, I'd be home with him and the kitties all the time. I actually gave up one day of work a week just so I could be home with him more.

Karv, if one of your kids is begging you for a puppy, I would strongly suggest you hold off unless you have a lot of time to invest. It reminds me of when my daughter was little and she wanted a baby brother or sister. I said, "Emma, babies are a lot of work." She said, "That's OK, mom! You'll take care of it!" Needless to say, Emma was our second and last child. I know my limits.

If and when you do get a dog, Golden Retrievers are lovely dogs, but perhaps a bit larger than what you had in mind. Plus they need a lot of exercise. I have a friend who has 13 (!) cats and a Golden. They seem to get along quite well, but then again she and her husband are home quite a lot and they live in a rural area so the dog gets plenty of exercise. I adore French Bulldogs (there are two on our block that are friends with Louie) but I have no idea how they'd do with a cat.

IMHO, you need to rethink this. Don't jump into anything.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:58 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
If and when you do get a dog, Golden Retrievers are lovely dogs, but perhaps a bit larger than what you had in mind. Plus they need a lot of exercise. I have a friend who has 13 (!) cats and a Golden. They seem to get along quite well, but then again she and her husband are home quite a lot and they live in a rural area so the dog gets plenty of exercise. I adore French Bulldogs (there are two on our block that are friends with Louie) but I have no idea how they'd do with a cat.

IMHO, you need to rethink this. Don't jump into anything.

...Golden Retrievers ARE great dogs...BUT they require a LOT of work. They shed LOTS. They are sporting dogs and as you mentioned need a substantial amount of exercise and attention and training. Without that, you have a large, energetic dog looking for outlets for all that energy. Picture jumping, dashing out the door, chewing things (retriever means they like having things in their mouth!). I love Goldens but they are not just naturally calm, well behaved dogs.....too many people bring home Goldens based on some ideal they have seen on TV. And too many end up living lonely and neglected in the backyard because they are nothing like the owners expected.

<end PSA>

Last edited by maciesmom; 03-03-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times

YouTube - DOG FALLS FOR CAT♥♥
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs