Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:50 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times

Advertisements

We have several trips planned this summer, some we'll take PC along on, but some we can't because we'll be flying. We have friends that usually watch him and we watch their dog in return, but since they rarely travel, we feel bad that we are the only ones using them and never get to return the favor.

So, I found boarding place that has amazing reviews, but when I called to ask about the overnights, they said that the dogs are left alone all night with no one there. Is that normal? What if something happens at night? They said they have alarms set, but what good is that if a dog gets out or caught on something and no one is there to help? I'm just wondering if that's a common thing. And has anyone ever used Camp Bow Wow? It seems like it's a national chain from what I can see on their site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
A long time ago, I used a vet that had a night person and would board his patients for short times. I felt better knowing the night person was there.

For many years however, I have used pet sitters in my house. Most vet offices have at least one vet tech who does pet pet-sitting. Some will spend the night at your house and some will visit as many times a day as you can pay for. It's also cheaper for me since I have multiple pets. I think pets are more comfortable at home and they are safer. There have been a rare number of cases where a fire broke out at night where pets were being kept. Also in your area, do you have earthquakes? I just feel better about my guys being at home with someone!

As for your question, yes, many boarding places have no night person. I had to use a place here when my floors were being re-finished. No one could be in the house afterwards, for many hours. That place didn't have a night person and everything was fine.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 AM

177 posts, read 757,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
And has anyone ever used Camp Bow Wow? It seems like it's a national chain from what I can see on their site.
YES! We take Sven to the Anaheim one for daycare about once a week or every two weeks. They are very reliable and seem really informed on dog behaviors. There's a thorough interview process for all newcomers, not like Petsmart where they just take anyone. You can monitor your dogs on the Internet, too. I look in on my baby, and every time he is playing and having fun.

We are doing a few boarding nights this weekend. I know what you mean about it being hard to let go. We generally have people come in and stay with Sven, but worry that people are afraid to say no, so we like to do the boarding thing every few trips or so. He's only boarded overnight once before--at Petsmart. Wasn't so happy the next day. Camp Bow Wow only from here on out!!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
. Also in your area, do you have earthquakes? I just feel better about my guys being at home with someone!
Funny you mention that! I was home with PC on Sunday night, when he started to growl for no reason. Seconds later, the couch started to shake. We felt the LA earthquake all the way here in San Diego! While we don't usually have major earthquakes in SD, we do sometimes feel the ones coming out of LA!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,831 times
Yes we adore Camp Bow Wow!!!! The owners and staff of our local CBW, know our dogs almost as well as we do! And they truly care! When Pearl was out for weeks on end recovering from her acl surgery, they asked about her all the time! We would take our other dog (Jersey) to day care to help burn energy while his sister was recovering. We the abillity to watch the dogs on TV fromour computers during their play hours. Also, I know in the past when weather was bad here (ice, snow) the owners would stay over night with the dogs. Plus, during the Christmas holidays, one of our friends who also use them had her flights cancelled and she had no way to pick her dogs up and the owners took her dogs home with them until she could make it back! That's dedication!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post

We are doing a few boarding nights this weekend. I know what you mean about it being hard to let go. We generally have people come in and stay with Sven, but worry that people are afraid to say no, so we like to do the boarding thing every few trips or so. He's only boarded overnight once before--at Petsmart. Wasn't so happy the next day. Camp Bow Wow only from here on out!!!!
Does yours have no night attendant as well? Have you had any issues with that? Glad to hear you like them! It's so hard to find a place you trust!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Does yours have no night attendant as well? Have you had any issues with that? Glad to hear you like them! It's so hard to find a place you trust!
Our location doesn't have a night attendant either. We haven't overnight boarded him at that facility yet (although we are going to this weekend), but I don't anticipate any issues. I think if your dog is healthy, there isn't much cause for concern.

I think most of the dogs just settle down and go to sleep at CBW. They play SO MUCH. When we take Sven, he will sometimes sleep the entire rest of the evening! And he is extremely high energy. So I really think that PC will be fine.

BTW, I'm surprised you felt the earthquake all the way down in SD! It was bad where we were (about 20 miles from epicenter). Katie (our older, somewhat neurotic Chow mix) went nuts with whining beforehand...and then it hit. Luckily nothing broke!

Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
I have boarded my dogs three times. Once in Jersey last minute and did not like the place at all. And twice here in Florida. The place here is an Animal Hospital/ Kennel. Beautiful new building..... huge and clean. But whenever my dogs are not in my home under my watchful eye I worry! Bigtime! I do feel good that this place I use now is also an Animal Hospital. But neither had/have a night attendant.

Last edited by Blondie621; 05-19-2009 at 11:25 AM..

Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I do feel good that this place I use now is also an Animal Hospital.
That can either be really good, or really bad. If it's an Animal Hospital with a dedicated boarding facility area, with special boarding staff, that's fine.

But beware of vets who do boarding just to make extra $. I worked at a vet's that did boarding, and sadly, the boarders were last priority. No interaction whatsoever, aside from feeding and basic cleaning. I would never take my animals to board at a vet like that for that reason. I want them to have more personalized interaction and attention, not just left in a cage all day and all night.

Of course, there are places that do both, with separate staff, and that's pretty good. Especially if you have an older dog that needs medicine or special medical treatments.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I have huge issues about boarding (I've never done it) because Artie is not a social guy, and I'm fearful of how awful he'd feel being alone in a cage all day/night, which I know would be the case because of his lack of socialization skills.

What I've done instead is found people who pet sit in the pet's house. I've heard that letting the pet stay in his own environment is much less stressful for the dog, even if I'm not here with him. I know, I know, it's difficult to find someone who you trust -- giving them a key to your house, letting them stay/sleep in your house, etc... -- but it's worked for us. Artie is difficult, to say the least, and he's done so well with that setup.

One of my pet sitters has moved (ironically, to San Diego, and has two dogs of her own now -- let me know if you want to try to get in touch with her), the other one is unavailable for one of the weekends I need her, and so we found one through my vet's office. She works at the front desk and pet sits for extra money. It's a win-win. She makes some cash and Artie gets to stay home with someone (else) who will dote on him. It's worth a shot if letting a stranger stay in your house is something you're willing to do. If so, let me know if you want to get in touch with my original pet sitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs