Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:40 AM

557 posts, read 2,612,851 times

Advertisements

What games do you play with you dog? Looking for ideas. Our new lab mix seems to have no interest in chasing or retrieving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 11:52 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,119,928 times
From what I understand fetching has to be trained. Mine is sort of trained. He will go after it if he is already excited but ignores it otherwise. He seldom actually returns it to me though, lol.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:10 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,053,761 times
i will be watching this one as well ..... my red heeler mix has NEVER had any interest in chasing or retrieving a ball or any other toy ..... she just looks at me as if saying: "YOU threw it ........ YOU go get it."

i take her to the dog park in the early evenings after work, and she will play chase with some of the other dogs, but quickly grows bored with this as well.....

her primary interest has ALWAYS been being "on the hunt" ....... the park extends back about another mile and half and during the times she and i are there, she can go off leash for much of the time and loves nothing better than running from smell to smell in the woods........

if she didn't display such herding and heeling propensities with my feline kids and when she does play with other dogs, i would almost wonder if she was actually some sort of pointer mix.........

Old 06-01-2009, 12:12 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,119,928 times
Another one I've heard of but never tried is hide and seek. Hide toys and treats around and teach them to hunt them down.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
From what I understand fetching has to be trained. Mine is sort of trained. He will go after it if he is already excited but ignores it otherwise. He seldom actually returns it to me though, lol.
Fetching must be trained? Guess I was lucky with first 3 labs--the trick was to get them to *release*! Hobbs, new dog, just looks at the ball or stick when it's thrown as if to say "go get it yourself, dummy".

Old 06-01-2009, 12:22 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,053,761 times
i think fetching is instinctual with MOST labs..... but not all......

the labbie that lived in my house for 14 months would retrieve a couple or 3 times and then would quickly lose interest.......

Old 06-01-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Another one I've heard of but never tried is hide and seek. Hide toys and treats around and teach them to hunt them down.
My 2nd lab, who was exceptionally intelligent and a quick learner, enjoyed this game and also playing hide and seek with me. I'm wondering if Hobbs will be like Latetotheparty's dog and just enjoy long walks sniffing everything--problem is he'll roll in anything smelly.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:38 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,375,523 times
I have a now 5 month old sheltie that I play with...go get the ball, he has volunteered to return it so of course get mega praise...he also likes me to kick a ball so he can chase it. He has a very high prey drive so he's into chasing.

I also play tug with him to help him learn release/out command.

On the other hand my JRT who was an adult rescue has no interest in toys or anything else unless it's the real thing...he'll chase deer and other critters etc. I think if I'd gotten him as a puppy he might have played but now at 17 years he just likes to lay in the sun...LOL.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:42 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,126,203 times
I have a Labx, two Bostons and a Frenchy - we play all kinds of games.

Lots of fetch with racquet balls and youth sized footballs - right now they're learning weave poles, jumping thru a hoop and over a hurdle (they do not do competitive agility), and we play hide and seek not only with toys but with me hiding. I put them all in a hard sit/stay, go hide and call them with a soft whistle.....they love running all over trying to find me.

I also reinforce training on a daily basis but make it a fun game..sit, stay, etc....I use paper cups and dry cheerios, hiding a cheerio under one cup, moving them around and letting them discover which one the cheerio is under....LOL They love that game. Training can be a game to them and daily reinforcement is good practice.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i think fetching is instinctual with MOST labs..... but not all......

the labbie that lived in my house for 14 months would retrieve a couple or 3 times and then would quickly lose interest.......
Not all labs retrieve--depends much on it's lineage, too. Hobbs won't chase sticks and balls, but he'll chase a rabbit--must be the terrier mixed in. Haven't tried a Frisbee yet. We'll see what happens with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs