Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:49 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times

Advertisements

glad to hear abbey is on the mend.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:04 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
just got back from the vet with my Malti-Poo.
The vet forced me to get her that vaccine last Thursday when I took her to be groomed there. I did not want her to have it. I told them to note on her records it was being given against my wishes. Now she has Kennel Cough!!!!
I'm peeeeeeeved. She's on an antibiotic and cough syrup. They told me the puppy is not likely to get it since she had her round of puppy shots and is only 6 months old.

Should the puppy get it and or the Malti-Poo not recover................
let's just hope for the best because I'm pretty mad right now

Oh my god. That's awful. I would be fuming until my baby were 100% better.

Sounds from your other post that she's recovering - thank goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I know my groomer requires my dogs to have it.
The hell? WHY??? Rabies vacc, I can understand. But the dog is there what, 10 minutes? Hardly long enough to catch a "cold."

I'd get a different groomer!

Last edited by Mearth; 07-20-2009 at 01:13 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 08:05 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
The hell? WHY??? Rabies vacc, I can understand. But the dog is there what, 10 minutes? Hardly long enough to catch a "cold."

I'd get a different groomer!
Most dogs are at the groomers much longer than 10 mins even at Petsmart they are there for more than an hour and are put in holding cages. Mine are usually at the groomer's for at least 4 hours if not longer. They also have a kennel and that is why they want them to have kennel cough vac. Since I have 7 dogs plus I volunteer at the local animal shelter I would rather be safe than sorry. You don't know what you will bring home after being with the strays at the shelter.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Most dogs are at the groomers much longer than 10 mins even at Petsmart they are there for more than an hour and are put in holding cages. Mine are usually at the groomer's for at least 4 hours if not longer. They also have a kennel and that is why they want them to have kennel cough vac. Since I have 7 dogs plus I volunteer at the local animal shelter I would rather be safe than sorry. You don't know what you will bring home after being with the strays at the shelter.
I'd rather groom her myself than subject her to all of that.

The only reason she goes in is for nail trimming - because it would take more than one person to keep her still. Now that she's calmer about it, I'll probably do that myself, too.

Can humans really be carriers for kennel cough?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:52 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
here is one of my peeves about this kennel cough shot.

If it isn't so bad,as the vet has now expressed to me; then why bother with the vaccination?

So....they force me to get her the shot ($$$$ for them??) on the day she goes to the groomer. Suspicious??

She actually gets the illness. They say-dont worry as it's treatable with meds (more $$$$ for them)

so why pay for the shot?
just take the risk of the pet getting it,then give them the meds

Old 07-20-2009, 02:58 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
I'd rather groom her myself than subject her to all of that.

The only reason she goes in is for nail trimming - because it would take more than one person to keep her still. Now that she's calmer about it, I'll probably do that myself, too.

Can humans really be carriers for kennel cough?
i suspect i brought parvo home on my shoes by accident when i had a HUGE litter of puppies in my house years ago......... i imagine most viral infections can be transmitted in such a manner.......

Old 07-20-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i suspect i brought parvo home on my shoes by accident when i had a HUGE litter of puppies in my house years ago......... i imagine most viral infections can be transmitted in such a manner.......
Yes, parvo sticks around in dirt for a long time, plus it can be deadly.

But I still wonder if the same is true of bordetella. It is far less serious, and seems to have a much shorter half-life, given the fact that it must be given every 6 months to stay current.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,576,309 times
Quote:
Since I have 7 dogs plus I volunteer at the local animal shelter I would rather be safe than sorry. You don't know what you will bring home after being with the strays at the shelter.
I am not sure about your argument. It is NOT safe to repeatedly inject into vein of your pets something that may help or cause damage to your pet. How sterile the needle is? Does your vet really clean your dog's fur or hair that well prior to the injection? Are you sure there will be no fungi spore or other bacteria injected simultaneously with the medicine into your dog while your dog’s immune system was diverted to the “so called” vaccine? How about the immune system goes over run? Will you feel less guilty if your dogs died of other diseases that may be the indirect cause of repeated exposure to the something that may or may not be useful? I throw these questions in front of you because I often ask myself the same set of questions.

Rabies and Parvovirus vaccine (may be others too) have proven track record and pets should be vaccinated against them. It is reasonable to be vaccinated once a life time or very three years against a deadly infectious disease. For some vaccine that has low efficacy and the disease it targets can be treated, once every six month injection can cause harm. On the balance of “safe” and “sorry”, it is still a toss up when comes to this vaccine.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:01 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
I am not sure about your argument. It is NOT safe to repeatedly inject into vein of your pets something that may help or cause damage to your pet. How sterile the needle is?
Bordetella vaccine is never, ever given IV. And unless the clinic is really shady, needles are used once and then disposed of. The rest I'm leaving alone because I really prefer not to get into days and days worth of debate at this time.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:10 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,576,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Bordetella vaccine is never, ever given IV. And unless the clinic is really shady, needles are used once and then disposed of. The rest I'm leaving alone because I really prefer not to get into days and days worth of debate at this time.
Don’t get me started here. Okay. I know it is not IV but it is an injection into muscle, then blood cells (immunosystem cells) migrate through blood vessels to find antigens there. The route of administration doesn’t change the fact that the procedure itself can cause infection.

No offense, I know you work for a vet or you are a vet. My opinion regarding the vet as a whole industry is not a positive one. I saw by my own eye that a vet injected the vaccine into my GSD's rear leg muscle through dog hair without shaving and cleaning the area by an alcohol wipe. The same location was where her infection started and finally killed her. I can tell you that I play that scene in my mind constantly and still ask myself why I didn’t say anything at that moment. I also constantly ask myself why I even bring her back for that vaccine after I have attended a vet seminar talking about the danger of the vaccine. The only reason is that her day care wanted it and she loved that day care. She was three year old and have calmed down. I should have rejected the request for the vaccine and kept her at home. I seriously still very much regret my decision.

Let me ask all the members here. How many of you saw your vet shave down the hair and clean the area by wiping the area down completely using an alcohol wipe prior to the administration of vaccine. I am sure the answer is no. It may not be necessary to a completely healthy dog. However, it is a source of infection. If it does often, the chance of being infected does increase a lot. Yes, vets do change the needle. I bet the policy was set up to protect vet and vet techs from accidentally poking themselves. Our pets just benefit from the policy.

It is my feeling the whole vet industry was set up to make money and limit spread of dog/cat population and their disease in order to protect us, human. The vaccine and spay/neuter policy was set up for this purpose. It is understandable that these policies are needed when dealing with a large population of dogs/cats and many many irresponsible and ignorant dog owners. In addition, the vet industry’s recommendation is strongly influenced by pet food industry/pharmaceuticals. I doubt very much that the benefit to our pets is a priority for them. There is very limited information available for per owners to make an informed decision. There are several books now that have exposed internal struggles in the vet association about the risk for certain pet food and vaccines.

For each individual dog, the responsible owner should rise up to the occasion to protect their own dog’s interest and make a decision that truly weigh the benefit and risk. It is my view that vaccination every six months using the same vaccine posses more risks than benefits. I have written enough about the subject. My GSD’s death truly has wakened me up.

BTW, Kansas sky, I often wonder if a vet kills a dog by mistake, how much does he or she pay to reimburse the owner? For us, the doctor’s license will be evoked!!! How about a vet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs