Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:57 PM

295 posts, read 1,214,003 times

Advertisements

DoberPup -
I hope I'm wrong, but Robin's fluctuating activity levels/exercise intolerance and pale gums are classic signs of heart disease, which is very common in Dobes.

Has Robin had any cardiac testing/workups done, specifically an echocardiogram and/or Holter monitoring? Is your vet well versed in cardiomyopathy? If not, it may be wise to find a vet who is, and get his/her opinion. Dr Kate Meurs, DVM, Univ of WA, has been doing extensive research on cardiomyopathy; perhaps she or one of her research associates would be willing to speak with you on the phone: Veterinary Cardiac Genetics Laboratory of the College of Veterinary Medicine .

Also, many DPCA Chapter Clubs have Holter monitors & testing available. If you're interested in pursuing that, send me a DM with the name of your town/city & I will send you contact info for the club(s) closest to you.

~~~ keeping paws crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 03:24 PM

230 posts, read 676,367 times
My baby is gone.
She had been doing so will the last 10 days, eating well, riding in the car, being almost my girl again. This morning I woke to her falling off the bed and she was panting terribly, drooling, heart racing. She would try to stand up and fell over. There are no emergency vets in Carson open on Sunday so I had to look into taking her to Reno to be euthanized.

While we talked to my neighbor she panicked because my boyfriend and I weren't with her, and she used all her strength to go back to the bedroom. I came in there to find her splayed on the floor and not breathing. I held her and cried her name and she died, so now I feel so lost and alone without her, as well as guilty I didn't have time to get her to a vet to do it painlessly. That's the memory eating me, her beautiful eyes looking up at me as if asking why I'm not helping her.

Thank you again everyone who replied. I feel the ache in my chest will never subside.

Last edited by DoberPup; 08-09-2009 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: not put right

Old 08-09-2009, 04:12 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,703,392 times
In one way I do think it was better the way it did go. Most dogs I did need to go see the vet
and it was hard. This other dog was over age 14 and she was ill not in any pain. She did pant hard
and I took her out for potty then held her and that was it. I never did think I could be so brave
but was. She was not in any pain and was at her home, it hurts but she is at peace. If you do check here there was a great post when this dog I had
had lab work and then died the next day. I real nice person did post here for us all what it all did mean, and I had a real ill dog. Maybe check dog tests?
It was a real good post from her boss a vet who did explain what it all did mean.

Last edited by maggiekate; 08-09-2009 at 04:24 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM

295 posts, read 1,214,003 times
{{{{DoberPup}}}}

I am deeply saddened to hear this. Know that you are not alone - many others have walked this path, and we each feel your pain and loss.

Hopefully the following will give you some solace. If not today, then soon.

SPIRIT OF A DOBERMAN

I stood upon a hillside, in a field of blowing wheat,
and the spirit of a Doberman was laying at my feet.
She looked at me with kind dark eyes - an ancient wisdom shining through;
And in the essence of her being I saw great love there too.

Her mind did lock upon my heart as I stood there on that day,
And she told me of this story about a place so far away.

I stood upon that hillside, in that field of blowing wheat,
And in the twinkling of a second her spirit left my feet.
Her tale did put my heart at ease, my fears did fade away
About what lay ahead of me on another distant day.

"I live among God's creatures now, in the heavens of your mind;
So do not grieve for me, my friend, as I am with my kind.
My collar is a rainbow's hue, my leash a shooting star;
My boundaries are the Milky Way, where I sparkle from afar.

There are no pens or kennels here, and I am not confined;
I'm free to roam God's Heavens, among the Dobie kind.
I nap the day on snowy clouds, gentle breezes rocking me;
And dream the dreams of earthlings and of how it used to be.

The trees are full of liver treats and tennis balls abound,
Milk Bones line the walkways, just waiting to be found.
There even is a ring set up, with grass all lush and green,
Where even rescue Dobermans become the Best of Breed.
For we're all winners in this place; we have no faults, you see.
And God passes out blue ribbons, to each one, even me.

I drink from waters laced with gold; my world is beauty to behold.
And wise old dogs do form my pride, to amble at my very side.
At night I sleep in Angel's arms, her wings protecting me;
And moonbeams dance about us, as stardust falls on thee.

So when your life on Earth is spent and you stand at Heaven's gate,
Have no fear of loneliness, for here you know I wait."

~Author unknown.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
So sorry for yur loss. I don't think she blames you at all. Many dogs would prefer to not have to go to the vet. I believe she is running in the great fields of the sky, young and happy, with lots of new friends, many of them my babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs