Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:35 PM

553 posts, read 1,274,228 times

Advertisements

We just moved from Western NY to Raleigh NC. I am worried about my 9 year old German Shepherd-Lab mix. We made every effort to make the move as comfortable for him as possible. I sent him to daycare the day the movers came to take our stuff. We made the drive in two days, making sure he had plenty of room in the backseat (with a seat belt harness that allowed him to move freely). I even gave him 'happy drugs" so that he would be mellow. (I did a test run with the pills and he was fine. No passed out puppy with his head in the supper dish.)

I think he is having a hard time adjusting. We are living in an apartment for the short term, at least 6 months. We want to get used to the area before sinking money into another house. Anyway, he whines a lot more than he usual. He cries when either me or my husband leave. It took him a couple of days to poop. Finally, he tried to bolt out the front door today.

I know this is a huge adjustment for him. I am trying to maintain his regular routine of feeding, walks, etc. I am sure it is hard for him to adjust to living in an apartment, where he must be on a leash, whereas he had a fenced backyard and could roam around as he please. I am looking into doggie daycare, since he loved going to daycare at our old place. I am also trying to be upbeat about his new home. My dog is very smart, and I am afraid he sees right though the BS.

I probably sound like a neurotic dog mom, but I am worried about my little boy. Has anyone dealt with this and do you have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 02:42 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,978,340 times
Just keep doing what you're doing. It takes a while for a dog to adjust, especially one who has nine years of his prior home in his head. Take him for walks, reassure him (but not too much!) and try to maintain a schedule with him. Tincture of time!

Old 07-13-2009, 02:50 PM

795 posts, read 4,543,397 times
i am very eager to hear the responses to this thread since i am looking at the same problem...

Old 07-13-2009, 03:16 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,366,656 times
When we moved from Texas to New Mexico last year, I had one dog and I was concerned about the same thing.
I think you're doing everything right. What I did was act as though everything was normal. She didn't poop or eat for 2 days but otherwise she did okay.

Continue your routine and as soon as he sees that nothing has changed other than his living quarters, he will adjust fine.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 AM

269 posts, read 1,056,132 times
We moved two years ago and my dog developed separation anxiety. Nip the anxiety in the bud before it gets worse. Sign up for doggie day care *immediately*. You don't want your dog to have a panic attack while he waits for you to get home.

In addition, increase the length of his walks. At his old house, he roamed the yard. Well, let him roam now only on leash. Take him for at least 2 30 minutes walks a day - more if you have time. Let him sniff everything and get used to the new scents. Spend more time training your dog (and thus engaging in positive reinforcement so that your dog associates the new apartment with good and yummy things!).

Have you heard of the treat fairy? It sounds like she needs to visit your house - hide treats all around the apartment (high end treats - dehydrated chicken strips, etc). Let your pup have fun exploring and discovering these treats (again creating the apartment = good things connection).

If your dog is really experiencing separation anxiety now, do some reading so that you don't make it worse. Doggie day care is the best thing for now until you and curb his anxiety.
Also looking into rescue remedy and/or Dap - both help to calm your dog.

Good luck!!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:55 AM

3,752 posts, read 12,427,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
We just moved from Western NY to Raleigh NC. I am worried about my 9 year old German Shepherd-Lab mix. We made every effort to make the move as comfortable for him as possible. I sent him to daycare the day the movers came to take our stuff. We made the drive in two days, making sure he had plenty of room in the backseat (with a seat belt harness that allowed him to move freely). I even gave him 'happy drugs" so that he would be mellow. (I did a test run with the pills and he was fine. No passed out puppy with his head in the supper dish.)

I think he is having a hard time adjusting. We are living in an apartment for the short term, at least 6 months. We want to get used to the area before sinking money into another house. Anyway, he whines a lot more than he usual. He cries when either me or my husband leave. It took him a couple of days to poop. Finally, he tried to bolt out the front door today.

I know this is a huge adjustment for him. I am trying to maintain his regular routine of feeding, walks, etc. I am sure it is hard for him to adjust to living in an apartment, where he must be on a leash, whereas he had a fenced backyard and could roam around as he please. I am looking into doggie daycare, since he loved going to daycare at our old place. I am also trying to be upbeat about his new home. My dog is very smart, and I am afraid he sees right though the BS.

I probably sound like a neurotic dog mom, but I am worried about my little boy. Has anyone dealt with this and do you have any suggestions?
LOL - you are no more neurotic than the rest of us! As to your question....Yup -been there - done that with 4 dogs of various ages in tow on numerous moves around the country. You are doing everything right to help him to settle but I do have a couple of questions......Are you and/or your husband under a lot of stress right now? Dogs can be very tuned in on the stress levels of their people. That and unfamiliar surroundings can really upset your fur-baby. It could also be that because you are not comfortable yet - he isn't either. One thing that I strongly suggest is daily walks around the new neighborhood. This will help him settle by letting him become familiar with all the new smells coming in through the windows and doors. It will also establish a routine and that should also help him with the transition. It will help you to get to know your new neighbors too

Old 07-15-2009, 06:40 AM

553 posts, read 1,274,228 times
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Mac is doing so much better. We increased the area and duration of his walks. I think it also helped that our furniture and other stuff arrived, including his huge dog bed. I never saw a dog more happy to see his bed! We are establishing a routine and Mac seems to be right on track. Also, I am looking into doggie day care. It was part of his routine at our old place. He just loves it so much.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:39 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,504,293 times
And, maybe (diet permitting), you can take him to Gourmutt's Bakery. My dog Tonka loved going there when we lived in Raleigh!

http://www.gourmuttsbakery.com/newsite/index.php4

Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,403,313 times
My dog sat by the front door for days, waiting to be taken back "home." He would sniff all of our stuff, room by room, like "hey, what's our stuff doing here?" Then he'd go sit by the door, sometimes for hours. He finally accepted that this was our new home, but it took a while for him to adjust. Patience, pets and lots of walks around the new 'hood made it easier.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:57 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,391,907 times
When we first got Simon from the rescue (he was 6), he was so agitated that we went on about 8 walks a day just so he could be so exhausted that he would sleep. Of course, this is a different situation except for the fact that your dog is in a new place. It took about 3 weeks before he realized that he was safe and not going anywhere else. However, we also inherited a home in another state, and when we go there, we start all over again with the excessive walks because he is not comfortable. It just takes time and it appears that your main concern is your dog, which is commendable. It will all work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs