Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:33 AM

295 posts, read 1,215,373 times

Advertisements

Lookin',
I think it's a GRAND idea! I also think that adopting an adult fur-kid would work out much better than adopting a puppy.

As with any adoption, the major unknown is how your current "living stuffy toy" will adapt to the new kid. Is the shelter willing to take him back *IF* he doesn't work out, and can you stay in/near Morrisville for a couple of weeks after adopting him to make sure he does well with your current girl and with traveling/living in the RV? If "yes" to both of those questions, Do It! (And get him 'chipped ASAP.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 11:38 AM

593 posts, read 2,901,270 times
Just pick the right dog for your lifestyle.
I find that when I'm camping I tend to walk my dogs even more than usual but they dont get to run around and play fetch while on the road. So just avoid the working dog breeds or get an elderly dog or else the dog and yourselves won't be very happy.

I see a lot of truckers with toy poodles when I'm on the road believe it or not. It's kind of funny. Poodles and yorkies.

And lord knows there is a lot of those seized from puppy mills that are waiting to be adopted.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:14 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,685,537 times
I would say a small dog would be ok, but make sure you have an ID tag on the dog with a cell phone number, especially traveling from city to city etc. I would find a shelter and adopt an older dog, maybe 3 or older. One that is house trained already and would be a little calmer.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,955,732 times
Go for it! You already have a dog traveling with you so you know what the needs are. Take your dog to the shelter/rescue to let the 2 of them meet and greet. If all goes well, you have a 2nd dog.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:43 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,453,671 times
FWIW, it sounds like a plan to me, I hope he's still available when you're in that area.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:36 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,394,072 times
I think that Sam should definitely be a road dog so long as he will behave himself with your oldster. Woo-hoo.

Tell DH that you'll settle for just 10 acres when you settle down.
(sending subliminal messages to him to say yes)

ps: Mapquest puts it at just 4 hours 42 minutes down to Morrisville from Levis. Whadda ya waitin for?

Any idea how old he is?

Old 07-18-2009, 01:48 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,585,319 times
Thanks EVERYONE --- your support, encouragement, advice -- I really appreciate it.

I was just completing the application when I got the email. Sam was adopted, today -- they said it was to a great home.

Next time, maybe.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:59 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,704,954 times
aw, i'm sorry! but there will be other dogs!

when i got my dog, i had a dog all picked out online, but when i got to the shelter i didn't have a connection with her. plus she seemed a bit too interested in cats. i happened to have volunteered there in the past, so i just walked dogs for a few days until i met a dog who happened to be the one kind of dog my husband said he did not want to get (a shaggy one with a beard, they gross him out!). i had all these ideas about what i wanted in a dog, too - i wanted a pit bull with a spot over its eye the most! but she was the one, i knew it within a couple of minutes of hanging out with her, and now we both agree that she's the best dog in the world.

point being, you may have fallen in love with this dog online, but it's probably better to just meet dogs in person. you'll find one that you love just as much, i guarantee it! there are so many great dogs out there who need a good home.

plus, dogs come and go so quickly in shelters (especially smaller dogs). i know at a lot of shelters, small dogs don't even get put on petfinder before they're adopted. and shelters generally won't hold a dog for more than 24 hours or so, if they will at all. it's really best to just go in and adopt a dog when you're in the area rather than planning 2 weeks ahead.

edit: oh, i re-read your first post and i see that you have been visiting shelters. in that case, i guess my only advice is keep at it! and maybe it's not a good idea to look at listings for shelters that are so far off in your itinerary!

Last edited by groar; 07-18-2009 at 02:08 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 02:07 PM

7,399 posts, read 19,376,402 times
I know of someone that travels several months out of the year in an RV and they have a dachsund. The dog does fine and seems to enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs