Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 09:27 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,573,644 times

Advertisements

After browsing Petfinder for months, visiting shelters of towns we pass through -- trying to convince myself that I was just checking out the situation, this little guy has caught me.

Adopt a Dachshund: Sam: Petfinder

I emailed the shelter to see if they would approve the adoption to a traveling family, and they've given me a tentative okay, based on my application, though they don't promise he'll be available by the time we show up there. (It will be at least two weeks before we make it there.)

My husband is "thinking on it," and not real thrilled with the prospect at the moment.

As much as I want a dog, I don't want to be selfish. I've never adopted an adult dog before, never adopted any dog -- my past dogs were bought from breeders.

I think I was a good doggy-mom to my now deceased SK, and while our female is really my husband's, she does come to me for comfort when he's not around.

I just don't know. The many contributors to this forum that I've read all seem like level-headed, caring people, so I am giving this up to you. Should I wait, or go for it -- presuming that my husband says yes. If he say no, all is for naught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 09:42 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,445,799 times
I guess it depends how much traveling you do. Do you have an RV or popup or tent? Do you have a house as your home base? Do you travel a few hours a day or 8-10 hours? Do you travel straight thru or take breaks w/ the driving? The dog is adorable but if you eat out in restaurants every day or stop to sightsee, it might not be such a great idea as many places don't allow dogs and you couldnt leave him in the car this weather. It's prob. not a good idea to leave him in the car in any weather given the possibility of him getting stolen etc. Anyway, knowing more details will help elicit some responses.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 AM

593 posts, read 2,899,326 times
As long as you're heading home soon and this isn't a breed that needs 2+ hours of exercise (labs, dobes, border collies, boxers, weimeraners, pointers, et cetera) then I say go for it.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:22 AM

5,098 posts, read 12,610,778 times
You still have your husbands dog the female that travels with you..correct? I think knowing that may help some people answer this better, as you would not be doing something you have not done before thus you know the pros and cons of traveling with a dog.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:28 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,926,454 times
My DH and I RV full time. We started out with an English Bulldog, which we still have, and a 100# shepherd that I lost in Jan. As far as exercise, I would find a field and go out and play ball. But since you already have a dog then you pretty much know what you need to do as far as traveling with a dog.

DH is a hauler and Rita goes with him and she loves it. They are on the road sometimes for a couple of weeks. Of course she is also very lazy and just loves riding in the back sleeping or just sitting there looking out the window. There are alot of truckers that have dogs on the road with them.

Since this is an adult I don't think there should be a problem. I also don't think you are being selfish. I say if they OK the adoption then go for it.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:29 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,573,644 times
Sorry for not being more clear. We are traveling the country in our 38' RV motor home, and will be for at least the next 13 months. After a quick return to our home outside Seattle, to re-rent it, we will probably make a second round for another year.

Our current furry family member is almost eleven and while she looks like a dog, she's actually a living stuff toy. She sleeps 20 hours a day, and would prefer not to be bothered, unless there's a thunderstorm, when she wants to be held.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:30 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,066,287 times
being in a 38' rv is HUGELY different than traveling by car..... i would think it would be more like a home for him......

you have experience traveling with doggies..... and care very much for their welfare and comfort...... i say GO FOR IT..... after the current girl meets him and approves of him, of course....

Old 07-18-2009, 10:33 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,696,663 times
it seems like a decent situation to me, especially since he'll have a stable, homelike environment that just happens to be moving. if the shelter's ok with it, that makes me feel even better about it.

he is adorable!

Old 07-18-2009, 10:35 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,621,634 times
I travel too. I have property in FL, WV and ME. When in ME, I am camping in a rustic cabin in the woods. In FL, on a farm and in WV, on a mountain. I always drive and my entourage includes a standard poodle, toy pomeranian, gray tabby cat, two parakeets and two hermit crabs. My car is a minivan with the rear seats removed so that behind the front seats, it is all open. When in motion, the dogs are in harnesses and have seat belts on. The cat is in a crate that is secured in the car, the birds are in their cage and crabs are in a bowl inside a crate. I carry a hassock in the van and a cooler with water for the animals, meals for me and it is filled before I leave any of my locations - enough to reach my destination.

All the animals travel with current rabies tag, identification tags and I have their health certificates and medical history in my purse.

Adopt the dog and keep a leash and harness on him. Get a crate that can be his very own place inside your car or RV. In it, place a cushion, chew toy, deep dish with a little water in it, an article of clothing you have worn for a day so he can get very comfortable with your scent. Feed him when you are still and on solid ground and let him relieve himself at frequent stops. You can change that later as he gets used to you and the routine. Water helps reduce stress, though, so a little is a good thing. If you notice he drinks all his water, give him some more and plan on stopping soon to let him stretch his legs.

I wouldn't consider traveling without pets these days. Doesn't matter that they are not protection animals, they are comfort companions and you'll wonder how you managed without one when you get your new child

Old 07-18-2009, 11:07 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,670,961 times
I would have no concerns about the living conditions, but perhaps about putting stress on your current dog. If they decide not to get along, that will also be more stress on you and your husband.
If your dog is laid back and used to being around other dogs, there should be little to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs