Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:50 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,070 times

Advertisements

I already started the training for my GSD. Goal is to have everything complete by the superbowl!

Going for:
1) Open the fridge via hanging towel
2) Grab beer
3) Close fridge
4) Bring to me

I've only put 20mins into training so far. I could even get her to open her month. Once I did she'd just drop it. Up to a solid 7 seconds of her holding the can in her month, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 06:01 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
Keep working on it and reward her for any length of time she is willing to hold the can at first then start making her hold it longer to get the reward. I met a Belgium Malinois that the owner had asked me if I wanted a soda or beer and when I replied. He told the dog to go get it the dog walked over to the coleman ice chest ( this was out at a park) flipped it open and got me the correct drink, closed the lid and brought the drink to me. Very impressive!!!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 05:55 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
Hopefully, your GSD has a "soft" mouth, or he'll be sloggishing beer all over!
Years ago, we lived on a Golf Course. Our house sat on a small lake that was right at one of the tees. My husband and friends would play to that point and then whistle or yell to me from across the lake. I would then send our Golden out to carry a couple of cool ones to them. He never once punctured a can. We limited his runs to 4 after it got completely out of hand.
Good luck with your training!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:27 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,932 times
My husband would love to train our dog to this. Awesome.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,924 times
I wish!! Just make sure she actually learns to close the fridge door (if you make it that far in your training, lol!).. you'd hate for her to leave it open and you have to get up to close it anyway!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:29 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
When she has this talent down pat will she be allowed to get something out of the fridge for herself, ie, the last of the pot roast or piece of peach cobbler?

Think it's possible to teach my dogs to do some of the laundry? Just the dog beds and blankets would be a big help. Or maybe vacuum up most of the dog hair.

About the only chore they have done on their own is to clean out the litter box.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
When she has this talent down pat will she be allowed to get something out of the fridge for herself, ie, the last of the pot roast or piece of peach cobbler?

Think it's possible to teach my dogs to do some of the laundry? Just the dog beds and blankets would be a big help. Or maybe vacuum up most of the dog hair.

About the only chore they have done on their own is to clean out the litter box.
I didn't even think of that, giving her access to food. lol

We're not enslaving our dogs...We're impressing ourselves with their training!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:02 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
Companion dogs are often trained to get things out of the fridge and I do not believe that they then go back and help themselves. They are trained that it is OK to open it on command but not on their own just like some dogs are allowed up on a couch when invited but not uninvited. The man I met said his dogs only touch the cooler when asked to do so.

However some dogs may not be able to understand the difference as I bet my Jazz would wait until I was not looking and be sneaking goodies out of the fridge.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:14 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Companion dogs are often trained to get things out of the fridge and I do not believe that they then go back and help themselves. They are trained that it is OK to open it on command but not on their own just like some dogs are allowed up on a couch when invited but not uninvited. The man I met said his dogs only touch the cooler when asked to do so.

However some dogs may not be able to understand the difference as I bet my Jazz would wait until I was not looking and be sneaking goodies out of the fridge.
LOL...So when I ask:" Who ate the last piece of ____? " The family can all say "Dylan did it"

Old 07-27-2009, 11:56 AM

My dog would probably only have expensive taste...Like when a tenderloin is marinading...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs