Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:23 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,794,568 times

Advertisements

I feel completely alone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
Probably.....

Old 08-18-2009, 09:35 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,705,976 times
I would love to hunt with my dog (she would also love it) but I don't hunt; I just don't have it in me. I do have a lot of respect, though, for a good hunting dog. I especially like the labs that are able to retrieve birds from the water--how they just jump in without even hesitating, it really is an incredible sight.
There are some people I know on the west coast [of FL] who use pits and curs to help when hunting wild boars. The other people I know with hunting dogs live farther out west (Wyoming, Montana.) Except for the Carolinas and Virginias, I don't know many people who have hunting dogs on the Eastern seaboard (nor the Western seaboard, for that matter.)
The only thing my dog hunts these days is the cat, and it's actually more herding than hunting.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I would love to hunt with my dog (she would also love it) but I don't hunt; I just don't have it in me. I do have a lot of respect, though, for a good hunting dog. I especially like the labs that are able to retrieve birds from the water--how they just jump in without even hesitating, it really is an incredible sight.
There are some people I know on the west coast [of FL] who use pits and curs to help when hunting wild boars. The other people I know with hunting dogs live farther out west (Wyoming, Montana.) Except for the Carolinas and Virginias, I don't know many people who have hunting dogs on the Eastern seaboard (nor the Western seaboard, for that matter.)
The only thing my dog hunts these days is the cat, and it's actually more herding than hunting.
Surely there must be a lot of people with hunting dogs in Maryland...

There's actually a breed of dog named after some bay there... I forget the name... Anyway, it's famous for fantastic duck and goose hunting.

I know what you mean about a retriever jumping in the water after a downed bird. That intensity is incredible to watch and it makes your heart soar.

One of my favorite things about quail/chukar/pheasant hunting is actually watching the dogs work. If you haven't seen pointers or setters doing their thing, it's amazing.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:46 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,499,100 times
Interesting that Maryland was mentioned in a thread about hunting dogs.

One of the theories about how my beagle/coonhound mix ended up in rescue was because he got separated from his hunting pack. He ended up at the Cecil County Human Society before being pulled by beagle rescue.

An alternate theory is that he belonged to a pack of hunting beagles, but as an individual he just wouldn't hunt. Someone suggested to me that maybe the hunter got frustrated with him and left him off in the woods someplace.

I can see how this might be true, as my dog definitely has the attention span of a flea. He just doesn't seem to exhibit any desire to hunt - in fact, in our back yard a bunny can be a mere 3 feet away from him, and he doesn't seem to notice. Way to go, scent hound! It's bad when DH and I are out there telling him that his quarry is right there!!!

Oh well. He's a good dog and a wonderful pet.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Hubby hunts bear with dogs in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The dogs belong to his friend.

Our dogs hunt for McDonalds while riding in the car. LOL

Old 08-18-2009, 11:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Our dogs hunt for McDonalds while riding in the car. LOL
HAHAHAHAHA!!! This is exactly what I was thinking in terms of Artie -- he hunts for whatever food my husband may have dropped. Artie is so thankful that my husband is a klutz.

Although Artie DOES "hunt" for squirrels. Well, not really hunt -- more like a "bark, chase and lunge" maneuver. If he ever caught one, he'd look at me like this, though: What now?????

Old 08-18-2009, 11:46 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
Chesapeake Bay Retriever is what you were probably thinking of. A very good hunter.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Chesapeake Bay Retriever is what you were probably thinking of. A very good hunter.
I was joking around, but yes, I was hinting at chessies.

They are better cold water dogs than labs. They can break ice on a cold morning when a lab would succomb to hypothermia.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:02 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
my brother has had labs for goose and duck hunting in south texas.... sorry jimbo, that is as close as it gets for me......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs