Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:16 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,497,382 times

Advertisements

I am a volunteer at the county shelter here in Charlotte. Last night, I attended an information session for the temperment testing program that is desperate for new volunteers.

Whether or not you agree with temperment testing (and the shelter staff presented the pros and cons of this method of evaluation, so please let's not get into a debate over whether you think it is right or wrong), I am very drawn to the potential for positive outcomes that this program can offer. I'm thinking that the more we know about a dog's personality, we can do a better job with placing it in an appropriate home. The ultimate goal for this program is for it to evolve into something like the ASPCA's Meet-Your-Match program.

However, I'm a bit apprehensive. Currently, I'm "cleared" to work with the adoptable dogs at the shelter. The temperment testing program calls for additional training, since volunteers work with dogs in the stray area. Temperment testing is one of the qualifiers the shelter uses to move dogs from the stray kennels to the adoption kennels. It is a big responsibility - clearly there is some danger involved in working with stray animals (though in a very controlled environment - new testers are paired with veterans, and the tests are done right next door to where the vet techs work, so there's assistance readily available if something does go wrong). And, remaining objective is key - you can't just assume that because a dog is cute and cuddly-looking that it will have appropriate responses to the tests that are administered.

I'm not a dog expert by any means - though I grew up with dogs and I currently have a dog at home. Obviously, the in-depth training will assuage some of my fears, but I'm hoping someone on this board can share their experiences, especially as a newbie to the process. Does anyone have any anecdotes to share about their experience with temperment testing, especially when they are new to the method?

TIA for anything you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:02 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,378,674 times
I do not have experience with specific training in temperment testing but I would say go for it. The more you learn and experience, the greater your ability and credibility when it comes to being an advocate for dogs. Does your shelter have a foster program for dogs who are in need of additional medical or behavioral help before they are adoptable? I realize that as an open admission shelter it is not possible to give every dog as much time as is needed in the shelter environment.

What I do know from experience as someone who does foster care is that dogs that may not be immediately adoptable can frequently become so if given time and training. My current foster is a great example, although most dogs that my HS takes in to foster care need far less work to become very adoptable dogs.

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...akthrough.html

I hope you will take the training and be glad you did and perhaps come here and share some of your experiences with us so that we may all gain in our knowledge and understanding of dogs.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:15 AM

Thanks for your reply, zugor.

To answer your question, yes, our shelter does have a foster care program. I'm not currently participating in the foster program because I have doubts about how my dog, Tonka, would react to having a temporary house guest.

Another reason why I'm interested in the temperment testing program is because it is another way that I can contribute to the work of the shelter. I've been trying to find my "niche"... I love doing the off site adoption events, and I do try to get down to the shelter a few nights a month for dog exercise. Since I want to become more involved, I've tried assisting our fundraising group, and I've also worked cleanup at our spay/neuter clinics. While both activities are worthwhile, I didn't feel like I "fit" in with either team (no particular reason for this feeling, I just didn't get that "wow I did something really great today" feeling afterward).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I do not have experience with specific training in temperment testing but I would say go for it. The more you learn and experience, the greater your ability and credibility when it comes to being an advocate for dogs. Does your shelter have a foster program for dogs who are in need of additional medical or behavioral help before they are adoptable? I realize that as an open admission shelter it is not possible to give every dog as much time as is needed in the shelter environment.

What I do know from experience as someone who does foster care is that dogs that may not be immediately adoptable can frequently become so if given time and training. My current foster is a great example, although most dogs that my HS takes in to foster care need far less work to become very adoptable dogs.

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...akthrough.html

I hope you will take the training and be glad you did and perhaps come here and share some of your experiences with us so that we may all gain in our knowledge and understanding of dogs.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,576,691 times
There is a DVD "The Language of Dogs" by Sarah Kalnajs. She uses shelter dogs in many of her demonstrations. In the video, there is a very cute and playful English Bull Dog that goes after her throat suddenly.. Everyone in the video was surprised. There is a very playful puppy that she concluded not suitable for adoption. I still don't know why. It is very educational for me.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:46 AM

Thanks, LingLing. I'll see if I can find that DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
There is a DVD "The Language of Dogs" by Sarah Kalnajs. She uses shelter dogs in many of her demonstrations. In the video, there is a very cute and playful English Bull Dog that goes after her throat suddenly.. Everyone in the video was surprised. There is a very playful puppy that she concluded not suitable for adoption. I still don't know why. It is very educational for me.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:50 AM

556 posts, read 2,087,802 times
I second (or third) the thought to get the training and participate in the temperament testing at your local shelter. And good for you for pursuing this additional training! Is there someone currently on staff who is well versed in the approach your shelter takes on what behavior exhibits a 'passing' or 'failing' temperament? If so - this person will be a wonderful asset for you, to possibly follow and observe during actual TT's being done - so you can ask questions about their findings, how they reached them, what they saw from the dog that influenced their decision, etc.

Doing TT's on shelter dogs can be a subjective exercise, in my opinion. What might cause you alarm, might not cause me alarm. If I personally own and work with 100 pound dogs as a daily part of my life, I might not find a pogo jumping/barking dog alarming, etc., where someone who lived with small dogs might be very scared by the same behavior.....

You will have a comfort level I would think, in doing TT's on a particular type of dog - as you might not have a comfort level in doing TT's on another type of dog - I would suggest you recognize and accept that about yourself - and defer in situations where your own bias, or personal opinions could influence your decision about a dog. I do live with and love large breeds, and I am openly not a small dog person - so I avoid doing TT's on breeds like chihuahuas and yorkies, because I am biased going in - if that makes sense.

Just remember that EVERY breed has representatives that are NOT adoptable dogs - just as EVERY breed has WONDERFUL representatives who will make GREAT family pets. Don't allow your exposure to media hype or personal opinions, jade your ability to TT shelter dogs with an open mind Knowing a bit about the predominant breed of dog has also helped me in the TT's I do......

And remember that shelter dogs are typically SCARED to be where they are - many are not only scared, they are suffering some health concern - many have been STARVING on the streets.....all these things play into how they will be viewed in a TT. Keep all things in mind - so every dog/cat you TT gets the best you can offer with you have to work with. Many times, you will have to follow your gut instinct.....and often you can expect your conscience to trouble you a bit - but at the end of the day, if you are doing all you can to TT shelter animals with as much unbias and open mindedness as possible - then you are doing a good job.....

Hopefully, your shelter has tiers in place to handle varying degrees of temperament in dogs - happy go lucky dogs should go straight to the shelter adoption area; dogs who are just a bit shy, but exhibit safe behavior, would do well in individual foster homes for a period of time before returning for adoption; dogs who exhibit safe behavior, but have some concerning issues would benefit from specific fostering with training and concentrated efforts to prepare the dog for a new home.....etc......

Too wordy - sorry - but thank you - for being willing to give of yourself in this way - the TT process within a shelter is necessary - even if subjective in many ways - because it allows us to define a 'window' if you will, for where a particular dog falls, which if nothing else, helps an adoption coordinator explain to a potential family, some areas of future training that might be needed, behavior they might see in the dog once home, etc.

My biggest personal concern about TT'ing shelter dogs is that it is VERY hard to truly gauge resource/food guarding in the shelter setting.......it is an area that I've seen cause dogs to die, when I didn't feel it was warranted....but I'll save that thought for now......

Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 PM

Hi Rottnboys,

Thanks very much for your thoughtful reply.

To answer your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
Is there someone currently on staff who is well versed in the approach your shelter takes on what behavior exhibits a 'passing' or 'failing' temperament? If so - this person will be a wonderful asset for you, to possibly follow and observe during actual TT's being done - so you can ask questions about their findings, how they reached them, what they saw from the dog that influenced their decision, etc.
Yes, absolutely. The training session will be presented by our head veterinarian as well as two veteran volunteers who have been participating in the TT program for more than two years.

Then, we will do a few "practice runs" with the veterans before we are given the green light to buddy up and perform the TT on our own. All TT at the shelter is done in groups of two.

Quote:
Doing TT's on shelter dogs can be a subjective exercise, in my opinion. What might cause you alarm, might not cause me alarm. If I personally own and work with 100 pound dogs as a daily part of my life, I might not find a pogo jumping/barking dog alarming, etc., where someone who lived with small dogs might be very scared by the same behavior.....
I agree! My current dog, Tonka, is a mid-size - he weighs 36 pounds. I grew up with a 100 lb. GSD but it has been a long time since I've been around a dog of that size for any extended period of time.

Quote:
You will have a comfort level I would think, in doing TT's on a particular type of dog - as you might not have a comfort level in doing TT's on another type of dog - I would suggest you recognize and accept that about yourself - and defer in situations where your own bias, or personal opinions could influence your decision about a dog. I do live with and love large breeds, and I am openly not a small dog person - so I avoid doing TT's on breeds like chihuahuas and yorkies, because I am biased going in - if that makes sense.
Again, I agree. I think that is going to be one of my biggest challenges. I need to be objective when doing the TT test. I can't let any perceptions or misconceptions cloud my judgment for any reason. That's going to be tough!!

Quote:
Hopefully, your shelter has tiers in place to handle varying degrees of temperament in dogs - happy go lucky dogs should go straight to the shelter adoption area; dogs who are just a bit shy, but exhibit safe behavior, would do well in individual foster homes for a period of time before returning for adoption; dogs who exhibit safe behavior, but have some concerning issues would benefit from specific fostering with training and concentrated efforts to prepare the dog for a new home.....etc......
Yes, the shelter does have these tiers in place. We are also lucky to have a very active group of volunteers who can foster dogs to help them get over any medical or social issues that may prevent them from being adoptable today, but can be overcome by living in a foster home for a period of time.

Quote:
Too wordy - sorry - but thank you - for being willing to give of yourself in this way - the TT process within a shelter is necessary - even if subjective in many ways - because it allows us to define a 'window' if you will, for where a particular dog falls, which if nothing else, helps an adoption coordinator explain to a potential family, some areas of future training that might be needed, behavior they might see in the dog once home, etc.

My biggest personal concern about TT'ing shelter dogs is that it is VERY hard to truly gauge resource/food guarding in the shelter setting.......it is an area that I've seen cause dogs to die, when I didn't feel it was warranted....but I'll save that thought for now......
Very true. The flyers shared last night talked about resource guarding, and how there are different "degrees" of resource guarding. The shelter felt that this test is important to administer but may not reveal the way a dog will behave when adopted. The shelter environment is so stressful that a dog's true personality may not show... and that can be both a positive and a negative.

I have so much to learn!!!

Old 08-26-2009, 12:22 PM

556 posts, read 2,087,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
I have so much to learn!!!
It sounds to me like you are on the right path - with the right mindset. Thank you - again - for giving of yourself like this! If you are like me - while you are learning about these dogs you are TT'ing, you will learn much about yourself as well

Old 08-26-2009, 05:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
"The Other end of the Leash" is a great book on dog behavior. I learned a few things in the first couple of chapters that I didn't know, and I've owned large dogs for over 40 yrs! I strongly recommend it!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:46 AM

Thanks, SouthernBelle - I'll see if my library has a copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
"The Other end of the Leash" is a great book on dog behavior. I learned a few things in the first couple of chapters that I didn't know, and I've owned large dogs for over 40 yrs! I strongly recommend it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs