Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:52 AM

181 posts, read 635,676 times

Advertisements

Hi All.

I have just got a job in Bermuda - yippee!!

Unfortunately - there is always something, isn't there??!! - both my dogs a pit mix (originally from Cayman) and bullmastiff, are on the dangerous dog, not allowed in list. It is a long list:
Restricted Dog Breeds

However, there is a possibility of an exception being made.

In order to bolster my application - needless to say both dogs are human non aggressive (otherwise I would not have them), I am looking for a temperment testing person / center, any suggestions?? I live in NJ, but willing to travel.

I looked at the canine good citizenship award, but my bull mastiff is not dog friendly.

Please, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
I would contact any dog training clubs in your area for suggestions. Congrats on the Bermuda job!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:19 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,497,382 times
Also, try contacting your local shelter. They may have volunteers who know how to do the temp testing and would be willing to test your dog.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:13 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,555,928 times
Also the CGC is really not an adequate challenge of temperament - I know of many dogs with so so temperament who have passed.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
I also think your going to need a certified instructor to do the testing. I have done temperment testing at a shelter, but am in no way qualified to do what you would need.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:00 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,408,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gessa View Post
Hi All.

Unfortunately - there is always something, isn't there??!! - both my dogs a pit mix (originally from Cayman) and bullmastiff, are on the dangerous dog, not allowed in list. It is a long list:
Restricted Dog Breeds

In order to bolster my application - needless to say both dogs are human non aggressive (otherwise I would not have them), I am looking for a temperment testing person / center, any suggestions?? I live in NJ, but willing to travel.

I looked at the canine good citizenship award, but my bull mastiff is not dog friendly.

Please, any suggestions?
I had a similar issue when I moved to the Bahamas with my dogs. Check with your new employer and see if they have a government liasion person on staff. (most do) Having a person that has connections with the local government representitives can be a major advantage in an island country for smoothing things along with work permits and import issues. With or without the temperment testing, ask your local vet to write a letter attesting to your dogs temperments. Thats what I used for the Bahamas and it worked!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:38 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times
While CGC may not be perfect at weeding out dogs with behavior issues, it's a great place to start since you wind up with a certificate you can provide, and it does do a fairly good job. There's no such thing as a perfect test. I"d also do as VA says and get your vet to write a letter. This is a link to the listings of CGC evaluators in NJ:

American Kennel Club - Canine Good Citizen Evaluators

This is a list of what they must pass:

AKC's Canine Good Citizen® (CGC) Program

Old 10-27-2009, 10:51 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,555,928 times
It is better than nothing and it is fairly easy with some obedience training to pass a dog aggressive dog.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:18 AM

181 posts, read 635,676 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am definately going to talk to my vet about a letter - should do it, they charge enough for everything else!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:58 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gessa View Post
Hi All.

Restricted Dog Breeds

Please, any suggestions?
That is a long list! I love how they don't even spell American Pit Bull Terrier right! "Pit" and "bull" are separate!

Anyway, yeah, that really sucks! Hopefully you will find a way to have them tested and there won't be any problems. I don't know if this will help, but the first thing I thought of is the American Temperament Testing Society (ATTS).

I found this... ATTS - American Temperament Test Society, Inc. - Upcoming Tests (http://www.atts.org/tests.html - broken link) It says that they have testing coming up 1 more time in October 2009, then 4 times in December 2009, 1 in January 2010, 1 in April 2010 and 1 in September 2010. It looks like the one that they have in NY on November 7, 2009 at the Greater Rochester Rottweiler Club would probably be fairly easy to get to. I don't know though, I don't know how close/far that is from where you live. I was just thinking that NY would be close to you. I also don't know if it's for all breeds, or if it's only for Rottweilers since it's at the Greater Rochester Rottweiler Club? I would think it would be for all breeds, and that's just a good place for them to have the testing at.

This tells you about the temperament testing... ATTS - American Temperament Test Society, Inc. - TT Test Description (http://www.atts.org/testdesc.html - broken link)

And this is the contact info for the American Temperament Testing Society... ATTS - American Temperament Test Society, Inc. - Contact ATTS (http://www.atts.org/contact.html - broken link)

Okay, so I guess that's all I could come up with.. lol! I hope this helps, and if it doesn't, I really hope you figure something out! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs