Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If I got a little dog it would be either a Pug or French Bulldog
I like pugs b/c at the dog park they think they are as big as anyone else. They don't seem to yap, at least not there. However, and this is a BIG factor, you have to be very careful with any breed of that type (smushed in snout) b/c of breathing/heat issues.

I'd second the recommendation to go to your local pound and get a dog that is at least one or two years old. That way you know the adult size and very likely the dog is housebroken as well. So many people having hard times now means there are a lot of surrendered family pets at the pound now.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-06-2009 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 AM

369 posts, read 2,165,972 times
I'm not a big fan of little dogs at all.. I always was a big fan of the black and tan breeds... Rotty's and Dobermans are my 2 favorite breeds.... When the old lady put her foot down and said we CANT get a big dog... I decided to look around.. Then I came across manchester terriers.. He's 20 pounds.. but man does he think he's a doberman... He looks just like a doberman to... This breed is awesome.. Please google them..

They also come in a toy variety.. I read online the TOY manchester terrier doesn't shed... My standard manchester sheds alot.. thats the only negative...
Attached Thumbnails
What is your ideal little dog?-aaasmallimg_2578.jpg   What is your ideal little dog?-aaasmallimg_0219.jpg  

Old 09-06-2009, 11:21 AM

18,126 posts, read 11,765,860 times
My cousin has a beautiful white female Maltese named Heaven. She is most sweetest little dog I've ever encountered in my entire life.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:25 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,201,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
I'm not a big fan of little dogs at all.. I always was a big fan of the black and tan breeds... Rotty's and Dobermans are my 2 favorite breeds.... When the old lady put her foot down and said we CANT get a big dog... I decided to look around.. Then I came across manchester terriers.. He's 20 pounds.. but man does he think he's a doberman... He looks just like a doberman to... This breed is awesome.. Please google them..

They also come in a toy variety.. I read online the TOY manchester terrier doesn't shed... My standard manchester sheds alot.. thats the only negative...
ooo yeah, these are bad a** little dogs too. Good for pointing these out.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:28 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,456,106 times
Corgi's, weigh in at about 20-25lbs. and have a wonderful temperment. They are friendly, bright, and charming companions. They are very social and great company. The do shed some, but occasional grooming solves that problem easily enough. They're not a little yapping dog and they're not a big, overwhelming dog. They're just right.

PWCCA - Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club of America, Inc.

I am not a fan of standard poodles. The three I've known (all had different owners and do not know one another and this is over a 20 year span) have been whacky. Barking up a storm and hyper-active to the point of being obnoxious. I don't want a dog that runs the household. Ugh.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:40 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,682,028 times
corgis are lovely! there's a corgi puppy who comes to the dog park i go to, and when she runs she looks like a bunny hopping along.

a manchester terrier is a great idea too.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:44 AM

691 posts, read 2,329,882 times
King Charles Cavalier Spaniel. You will think your dog is the greatest ever. They are smart, loyal, friendly, not barkers, or jumpers. Calm, quiet, like children, like to go for walks, but prefer snuggling on the sofa.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:48 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,425,139 times
If I were to get a small dog, I think I'd get a papillon. It's my understanding that they are not yappy, and they seem to have pretty nice personalities. Plus, in my opinion, they're just a beautiful little dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papillon_(dog)

Old 09-06-2009, 08:22 PM

692 posts, read 3,856,848 times
Teddie is my ideal little dog. I love frenchies and English Bulldogs, but i'd say i've got it pretty good with Ted. Looking at him youd think he were a super frilly, froo froo dog, but he's not. What I love the most is the fact he can cuddle with me, but he will also go out and run turbo dog with the other big dogs. He doesn't care if he gets dirty, he's a shih tzu, but he can be a rough and tough rug rat.

He can be handsome

He can be lazy

He can also run with the tough boys

He's a healthy eater

but what I love the most is he's one in a million and he's a perfect fit for my life. A goofy companion.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:45 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,574,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If I got a little dog it would be either a Pug or French Bulldog

It would be a Pug for me too. A friend has a Puggle, mixed Beagle-Pug,
but has the face of the Pug, what a pleasant little dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs