Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:31 AM

628 posts, read 2,045,474 times

Advertisements

haven't read all the replies but make sure if you are getting a mix it isn't from some so-called 'breeder' and that you are doing rescue or shelter.

I personally have a Brussels Griffon and I love them--playful but not overly active--not yappy--and very sweet--they can be clingy though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 07:17 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
Good Lord... another designer breed... <sigh> There is no such breed as a Cavachon, a puggle, a cockerpoo, a goldendoodle, a labradoodle (who thinks of these stupid names, anyway??)

I went with a friend to visit a puggle "breeder" (I use the term loosely). What an experience! 2 litters on the ground, and another one on the way (just in time for Christmas gifts, of course) . With 3 more litters planned for springtime. All with the same father, and most of the females came from the pet store. Bargain priced at $750 per pup! What a racket...

These are all mixed breed dogs, folks. Cute? Of course, some of them are much cuter than either of their parents (genetics are funny things...)

Mutts have always made the very best pets...
Visit your local shelter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Cavachon (Cavalier King Charles/Bichon Frise)

- Under 20 pounds
- Low shedding
- Doesn't bark much
- Very friendly
- Gets along great with dogs and kids

DM me if you want to know more.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:19 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
Thanks for sharing Bench Warmer. What a great looking dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
I'm not a big fan of little dogs at all.. I always was a big fan of the black and tan breeds... Rotty's and Dobermans are my 2 favorite breeds.... When the old lady put her foot down and said we CANT get a big dog... I decided to look around.. Then I came across manchester terriers.. He's 20 pounds.. but man does he think he's a doberman... He looks just like a doberman to... This breed is awesome.. Please google them..

They also come in a toy variety.. I read online the TOY manchester terrier doesn't shed... My standard manchester sheds alot.. thats the only negative...

Old 09-18-2009, 09:12 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,192,020 times
I have a chug and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a small dog! google: chug

Old 09-19-2009, 09:14 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,153,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If I get another dog, it must be no bigger than 20 lbs. I would want it to be easily portable and easily washable. I don't mind a little grooming or shedding. There are so many varieties of mixed breed little dogs and I've only ever had big dogs before, so I don't know he characteristics of the different small breeds. I do not want a dog that is yappy, cringing and shaking all the time, nor peeing in fear of everything. I don't want an overly active dog, like a Jack Russell, for example. I want a friendly, sociable little dog which easily adapts to being taken places and gets along with people and other dogs.
A few suggestions for you:

Norfolk Terrier or Norwich Terrier
Border Terrier
Patterdale Terrier
Min Pin
Dandie Dinmont
Boston Terrier
Rat Terrier (JR X Manchester Terrier)
Brussels Griffon (they have long hair & a short hair version)
I would also second the King charles
Personally I think an ideal breed for you would be a wired hair Dachshund, gorgeous little dogs, not too high energy and not snappy or tempramental like the short haired version can be (not saying all of them!!)

http://www.thebestofbreeds.com/catal...ndWireHair.jpg

Have you looked on Petfinder? its a great place to start and so many gorgeous dogs, and remember, sometimes the cross breeds are the best!
I did a quick search although I might not be accurate with your zip, but here are some really cuties...

Adopt a Boston Terrier: Boss: Petfinder

Adopt a Border Terrier: Ginger: Petfinder

Adopt a Miniature Pinscher: Happy: Petfinder

Adopt a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel: Five Cav Pups: Petfinder

Adopt a Beagle: Arthur: Petfinder

Adopt a Skye Terrier: Claira: Petfinder

Adopt a Terrier: Calvin: Petfinder

Adopt a Chihuahua: Reggie: Petfinder

Adopt a Chihuahua: Toby: Petfinder

Hope that helps and good luck with your find

Old 09-19-2009, 09:18 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
if he was friendly and sociable and got along with other people always then he would not be much like me, i wana taco bell dog.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i found a cute picture
of
yo quiero taco bell

Old 09-20-2009, 11:51 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,898 times
We have a little Shi Tzu/Bichon mix and he's such a great little dog. He's not delicate, very friendly, doesn't shed (although he does require daily brushing), is a great running buddy and seems really intelligent. He's also really good with kids. My 4 year old has taught him to play hide and seek and my older one has taught him several other tricks. It's the cutest thing to watch them together. He only barks if he wants something and was so easy to crate train. I know that some posters here anti hybrids, but he's been the right choice for our family and we wouldn't trade the furry little mop with a face for anything.

A dog and his boy

This one cracks me up. Looks like the puppy pirate may know exactly where the rum has gone. ;P

Old 09-21-2009, 05:13 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
I loved your pictures! Sweet dog with his little boy.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:55 AM

124 posts, read 249,868 times
Default http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/apartment.htm

this link I found has most little dogs listed with info for research for ya ...]

A more exotic breed, the Shiba Unu are often called the cat lovers dog. These little fox-like beauties commonly have plush red coats (but do come in other colors) that are easy to groom. If you're looking for a dog that doesn't seasonly shed though, this isn't the breed for you. Shiba Una's are undemanding dogs, but they do need to be exercised on a daily basis...they could work for hours if you let them! These dogs are easy to train, bark little, and are fine around children if they are socialized well as puppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs