Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:19 PM

282 posts, read 526,234 times

Advertisements

A mini dachund...they are the sweetest!! I have ****zus too, but they are a pain when it comes to the grooming....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 10:39 AM

20 posts, read 52,652 times
My parents are on their second maltese in 15 years. Very sweet, fun, playful dogs. Not yappy the way other little ones are. That being said, I'm now living with my girlfriend and her 110 lb. doberman. He's just as fun. A little harder to fit in your lap, though.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:46 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
this is my idea of the cutest dogs in the world .
Attached Thumbnails
What is your ideal little dog?-91707-001.jpg  

Old 09-16-2009, 02:19 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
this is my idea of the cutest dogs in the world .
Look at those ears... they are so cute

Old 09-17-2009, 03:47 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If I get another dog, it must be no bigger than 20 lbs. I would want it to be easily portable and easily washable. I don't mind a little grooming or shedding.

There are so many varieties of mixed breed little dogs and I've only ever had big dogs before, so I don't know he characteristics of the different small breeds.

I do not want a dog that is yappy, cringing and shaking all the time, nor peeing in fear of everything. I don't want an overly active dog, like a Jack Russell, for example.

I want a friendly, sociable little dog which easily adapts to being taken places and gets along with people and other dogs.
Cavachon (Cavalier King Charles/Bichon Frise)

- Under 20 pounds
- Low shedding
- Doesn't bark much
- Very friendly
- Gets along great with dogs and kids

DM me if you want to know more.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
How little?

Peakapoo. Great dog. Very smart. Doesn't shed.

Beagle. (They come in an under 13 inch size.) Big dog in a little body. Good for a family where the husband wants a macho-type dog and the wife wants a small dog.

Both are great with kids.

The beagle is a pack dog so it really likes to please.

The peakapoo is part poodle, which means it will likely have a mind of its own and will play head games with you sometimes.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:46 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
My dog is a yorkie/maltese mix--5 lbs is all the bigger he will get. He isn't yappy, he is extremely playful! I love him to death!

His name is Watson.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:58 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times
I LOVE beagles!!!! I've got a beagle mix, and he's been a great companion for the last 8 years.

The only reason I would not recommend a beagle to the OP is if they live in an apartment or a condo. Let's just say that their bay carries, and the neighbors may not appreciate the dog's melodious singing voice.

I agree 100% with your other statements. Beagles are definitely a big dog in a little body. Rough and tumble, good at hiking or just walks around the neighborhood, friendly, and good with children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How little?

Peakapoo. Great dog. Very smart. Doesn't shed.

Beagle. (They come in an under 13 inch size.) Big dog in a little body. Good for a family where the husband wants a macho-type dog and the wife wants a small dog.

Both are great with kids.

The beagle is a pack dog so it really likes to please.

The peakapoo is part poodle, which means it will likely have a mind of its own and will play head games with you sometimes.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:53 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
I like medium size dogs. About 40 to 60 pounds.
But if I was looking for a small dog I would go for a mixed breed pom/peke.
I grew up with one of them. He wasn't a yapper and didn't go beserk if someone walked down the street or a kid rode by on a bicycle. He was easily trained and loved to ride in the car. We took him everywhere.
IMO your best bet is a mutt that you fall in love with. Pure breds are nice but mutts make the best pets.
Go to an animal shelter and look around. There will be that special one that gets your attention and you will know "this is the one".

Old 09-18-2009, 07:07 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If I get another dog, it must be no bigger than 20 lbs. I would want it to be easily portable and easily washable. I don't mind a little grooming or shedding.

There are so many varieties of mixed breed little dogs and I've only ever had big dogs before, so I don't know he characteristics of the different small breeds.

I do not want a dog that is yappy, cringing and shaking all the time, nor peeing in fear of everything. I don't want an overly active dog, like a Jack Russell, for example.

I want a friendly, sociable little dog which easily adapts to being taken places and gets along with people and other dogs.
Dogs don't magically appear trained, you will need to do that..I like a little Terrier mix. I have 3.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs