Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:38 PM

691 posts, read 2,330,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
What a sweet story. God bless you for the love you gave Sam!
Thanks, but the truth is that we were truly blessed the day Sam came to our home. He was the greatest dog in the world. Half basset, half ?, he was a big bean bag chair for kids, and appointed himself as my Grandmother's guardian, never left her side for a minute after she lived with us.

Dogs give people more than they ever knew they needed. 100% unconditional love, humor, they truly become part of the family.

Adding a dog to your life is the greatest gift you can give yourself and your children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 08:38 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,685,538 times
definitely see if you can find the owner before you get too attached - you can take him to a shelter and have them check for a chip. also let all the shelters, animal control, etc in the area know that you found a dog, in case the owner calls looking for him. craigslist is a good place to post (and look for lost pet listings), but as was already said, be vague in the post and ask for a description of the dog from any respondents. telephonepole.org is another lost & found pet site.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,234,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I've never had a pet in my entire life; however, my daughter came home today with a dog. Although he's cute, we're not prepared to have a pet at this moment! I'm making him ground beef and brown rice at this moment, but I feel bad that we can't keep him. I have no idea what his medical history is. Should I try contacting an animal rescue?
Talk about a play on words, lol. I read this fast and thought I read that you were going to make HIM into ground beef and rice. I'm glad you're caring for him. Have you checked Craigslist for lost dogs or the newspaper? Most veterinarian clinics will take in a lost dog. I have two chihuahuas and they are very easy maintenance w/ not a big expense. How is your daughter about getting rid of him? Maybe this little dog came into her life for a reason. Give her the responsiblity to care for him.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:19 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,206,877 times
I have a chi-min pin mix that was one of my foster dogs first, scared like a baby dear and hid in the bushes and I thought I lost him. I always said I'd NEVER get a little dog (I already had 3 larger dogs), but after having him for two weeks and a couple home visits I realized I just couldn't let him go (and I'd fostered 100's of dogs). Now he is the most outgoing little thing, playing with the bigger dogs and I'll tell you no human has ever made me laugh so hard as this dog and his antics have. Sometimes, when he's comfortable sleeping near me and I go to move him he does this growl and I just say, "oh shut it" and he stops so it's not like he's going to bite anyone. I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:20 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
you just made a kid very very happy.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:16 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,163,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
definitely see if you can find the owner before you get too attached - you can take him to a shelter and have them check for a chip. also let all the shelters, animal control, etc in the area know that you found a dog, in case the owner calls looking for him. craigslist is a good place to post (and look for lost pet listings), but as was already said, be vague in the post and ask for a description of the dog from any respondents. telephonepole.org is another lost & found pet site.
I spoke with the owner. She bought the dog a year ago and had allergies to it. She wanted to get rid of it and even had it on craigs list. Her son brought it to my daughter with a little leash and a crate.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:11 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,047,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I just don't have any food or anything. It's just a shock to me as all. I wasn't expecting this. He's a well behaved dog as far as I've seen. He seems a little scared though (he growls when people come in the room). He's followed my daughter around all day.

I would keep him if I had all the means. He needs to be seen by a vet, and I have no idea where to start.
by your protestations of not being prepared for a dog, i am actually reading that you know more than you think you do..... a lot of dog care is common sense..... and if he has been someone's pet up until now, chances are good he is already housebroken.........

what's his name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
If you have raised children, you can easily adapt to a dog. Good luck. And since your teenage daughter brought the dog home, I would make sure that she knows her responsibility in this. I wish you many years. Dogs are like potato chips--you never stop at just one.
EXACTLY........

Old 09-09-2009, 05:31 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,445,659 times
You've got an entire forum full of people who love dogs, who are ready, willing and able to give you any info you may need. All you have to do is ask!
You've raised a daughter.....a dog will be a piece of cake!
Keep us posted...and yes....what is his name?

Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,224,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
You've got an entire forum full of people who love dogs, who are ready, willing and able to give you any info you may need. All you have to do is ask!
You've raised a daughter.....a dog will be a piece of cake!
Keep us posted...and yes....what is his name?
Yeah and they don't talk on the phone, buy clothes and jewelry, drive a car and talk back (very much)!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:06 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,445,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Yeah and they don't talk on the phone, buy clothes and jewelry, drive a car and talk back (very much)!
You caught my drift! No attitudes with dogs! Dylan has yet to ever roll his eyes at me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs