Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:14 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,372 times

Advertisements

I've never had a pet in my entire life; however, my daughter came home today with a dog. Although he's cute, we're not prepared to have a pet at this moment! I'm making him ground beef and brown rice at this moment, but I feel bad that we can't keep him. I have no idea what his medical history is. Should I try contacting an animal rescue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 06:29 PM

84 posts, read 278,873 times
You should begin contacting animal rescues/shelters right away. Please only contact no-kill shelters. Ask them if they are no-kill when you first talk to them. I recommend calling them and emailing them. Shelters often have odd hours, so leave messages and keep calling until you talk to someone. You will need to contact every shelter in your area and possibly in a 25 mile radius. Most shelters always seem full, so be prepared to get a lot of rejections. Also, offer to transport the dog to the shelter or to somebody from the rescue. No shelter or rescue wants to or will come pick the dog up, but people always expect them to. It might also help if you can offer any sort of donation towards it's care. This isn't necessary, but I've learned that if you can even offer $20, it's better than nothing. I understand if you can't afford a donation like this now, but if you can, it might help.

Here is a directory of animal rescues/shelters. Just click on the US, then on your state, then it's listed by area code. Don't right click to open a new page/tab on this site, it doesn't work.
Shelter Directory*-*Hugs for Homeless Animals (http://www.h4ha.org/shelter-directory/index.php - broken link)

Please, try to keep him until you can get him into a rescue. Try not to take him to the pound if at all possible.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:36 PM

I will keep him until i can find somewhere safe for him. He's a really sweet dog. He devoured my ground beef and brown rice. I'm boiling some chicken for tomorrow. Can I add vegetables to it? How many times a day should I feed him? It's a little chewawa (sp). I have a small creight for him. Should I leave him in there tomorrow while the kids are at school? I just want to care for him the proper way while we have him.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:42 PM

I suggest you buy a small bag of dog food. Without knowing the dog's health status, it's probably safest to feed him regular dog food. B/c he's a small dog, he won't go through much.
Here is a list of foods you should never feed dogs: Foods You Should Not Feed Your Dog
Please check the lists b/c there are several vegetables on it that are not safe. Also, cut the meat off the bone before feeding it to him. Bones can be very dangerous, especially since he's such a small dog.

You should try to feed him 3 times a day. They prefer this to one large meal. Try feeding him 1/4 cup three times a day.

Are you or is someone else home during the day? If not, you might want to crate him (is the crate big enough for him to lay in comfortably?). Be sure to let him out in the morning to go to the bathroom and then again as soon as you get home. Do you have a fenced yard or a leash to take him out on?

Old 09-08-2009, 06:45 PM

We have no leash, but do have a crate that will hold him. Everyone leaves the house around 7. My kids come home from school around 3.

I have already researched food. I will pick up some dog food tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-08-2009, 06:46 PM

How will you let him outside to go to the bathroom? He cannot go to the bathroom in the create or it will get all over him. I'm just curious.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 PM

We have a small fenced yard. I will also pick up a leash tomorrow.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:49 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
We have a small fenced yard. I will also pick up a leash tomorrow.
you planning on keeping this dog?

Old 09-08-2009, 06:53 PM

I wish I could, but I know nothing about animals. I just wasn't prepared.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I wish I could, but I know nothing about animals. I just wasn't prepared.
its not brain surgery and a dog that size shouldnt be too difficult. so if you really wanted to keep it, i doubt it would be hard to learn whats needed. im getting the sense you are thinking about it and your 15 year old daughter is probably getting that sense also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs