Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,435,917 times

Advertisements

Hello. A friend of mine left his pit bull here at the house and I do not know if he is coming back for him.

The last time I had dogs was a long time ago.

He has the dog tied up out back and is getting no exercise.

I just went and got a leash for him and took him for a walk.

He pulled me only a little, I was a little worried that he was gonna walk me down the street.

He was very mild mannered and there were several other dogs barking at us as we passed.

I made it maybe a third of a mile and it seemed like he was starting to get tired.

Does this sound right? At that point I turned back for home.

I do not think he has really had much exercise. This dog has been tied up for a long time at different places.

Maybe a little at a time? I do not know.

TIA

Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,076,126 times
oh man .... poor doggie.....

how long has he been abandoned with you??

if you are not able or willing to take him on and give him the home he deserves (NOT tied up outside 24/7, but as a member of the household) sounds like he needs to go to a good rescue in any case........

Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,243,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

if you are not able or willing to take him on and give him the home he deserves (NOT tied up outside 24/7, but as a member of the household) sounds like he needs to go to a good rescue in any case........
Yes. There are plenty of good Pitt rescues. Also, many states, cities or counties, require you to carry additional homeowner's insurance when they have a Pitt as a pet should you decide to keep it or for as long as it's on your property.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,688,518 times
Best wishes with your new buddy!! :>)

It sounds right (normal.)

You're right :>) Little at A time.
Just like us humans when we're out of shape -- he should be fine with gradually increasing a little more each day. You have introduced him to using Muscles/cardio he's probably never utilized before You should find him eager to walk a little farther & farther each day as his body adjusts to the new exercise experience "World". Or maybe keep it to short walks for the week, and see how he acts/pants-no longer pants when you get back to the house. He'll probably begin to look at you like "Hey, I want to keep going!" by Sunday.

Tons of threads right here on everything from safe foods to feed, to training behaviour tips in case he's not housebroken. (so much has changed in regard to safe foods over the past decade or so.)
Hope the friend does NOT come back! Glad he ended up with you!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:32 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,949,161 times
Sounds like you are trying to do right by this poor dog. Being outside all the time is up for debate, many people think their dogs like being outside but in a fenced yard, not tied up. I personally like to have my dogs in the house w/me as companions.

My pittie is quite friendly and likes every single person he has ever met - in fact, he wants to lick them to pieces! They have a bad rep for no good reason - it's the owners who turn them into the dogs from hell.

If you want to keep him, bring him inside and he will be the best guard dog you could find. One look at him and burglars will back off. Or else google "pitbull rescue" and find a group near you. At any shelter, he is likely going to be put down fast. They are hard to adopt b/c of the bad rep. Good luck!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 AM

5,244 posts, read 16,467,750 times
What are your plans for the dog? I can help more from there.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 AM

22 posts, read 75,383 times
I've noticed pit bulls seem to feel the heat more than some other dogs when you walk them. Also if he's black he can get hot in the sun even on a day when the temperature's not all that high. Hope that's the only reason he seemed to tire so quickly. Do you know about how old he is?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

He has been at our house a few weeks. I do not mind caring for him but we have a kitty in the house.

I enjoyed walking him but was a bit concerned over him getting tired.

He is a nice dog, like I said. He is good with the kids. We have had no complaints.

This guy has been jumping around from house to house and now here.

I asked him while he was here if he had a leash and he said no, butt hat the dog was too strong and that I would not want to walk him...

Old 09-09-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Best wishes with your new buddy!! :>)

It sounds right (normal.)

You're right :>) Little at A time.
Just like us humans when we're out of shape -- he should be fine with gradually increasing a little more each day. You have introduced him to using Muscles/cardio he's probably never utilized before You should find him eager to walk a little farther & farther each day as his body adjusts to the new exercise experience "World". Or maybe keep it to short walks for the week, and see how he acts/pants-no longer pants when you get back to the house. He'll probably begin to look at you like "Hey, I want to keep going!" by Sunday.

Tons of threads right here on everything from safe foods to feed, to training behaviour tips in case he's not housebroken. (so much has changed in regard to safe foods over the past decade or so.)
Hope the friend does NOT come back! Glad he ended up with you!

he is out there now looking at me like he is ready to go again..

Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
What are your plans for the dog? I can help more from there.
I have no idea if his owner is coming back for him so I cannot answer this ?? with certainty.

I love animals and do not mind having him..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs