Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:19 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,381,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tktez View Post
I've noticed pit bulls seem to feel the heat more than some other dogs when you walk them. Also if he's black he can get hot in the sun even on a day when the temperature's not all that high. Hope that's the only reason he seemed to tire so quickly. Do you know about how old he is?
He is white with some dark areas. I would say he is a couple years old.

He looks very muscular, maybe a bit out of shape after what happened today.

Last edited by Pikantari; 09-09-2009 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Yes. There are plenty of good Pitt rescues. Also, many states, cities or counties, require you to carry additional homeowner's insurance when they have a Pitt as a pet should you decide to keep it or for as long as it's on your property.
I did not know that about the homeowners. I am gonna look into that.

I know he was an attn getter as we walked down the street. Mostly by men...

Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have no idea if his owner is coming back for him so I cannot answer this ?? with certainty.

I love animals and do not mind having him..
Pitbulls are very social, people dogs. Maybe you can keep the little guy? Pitbulls are definately not outside dogs though, well any dog should not be kept outside but especially a pit. They love being around people! I hope you can bring him inside. Does he like cats? Some dogs do and some do not.
Sounds like you are providing more care for him than the owner, hopefully he will not return and you can keep him?

Keep us posted. If you need any help with him or finding a home there are plenty of great people on this forum that would go out of their way to lend a helping hand!

Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 AM

I like this dog. While walking him I stopped of at this house down the street where the guy who owns him was 'staying.'

I talked to the owner of the house, who I know, and he told me he does not like the dog.

I asked him why and he told me he was mean.\

I asked him what he did that made him mean and he could not tell me of any instances, just that he was mean.

I told him I would keep an eye out for any of that behavior, but had not seen it yet.

he acts like a puppy who just wants to play, imo.

Last edited by Pikantari; 09-09-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 09-09-2009, 11:33 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
That's the media hype talking to the neighbor. Ignore it.

As for insurance, look at State Farm. They're an insurance company with a brain. As along as dog hasn't bitten anyone, they don't penalize you for owning a specific breed. When I got my homeowners insurance I had 3 rotts, 2 pits, 2 GSDs and a chow in my home and they didn't bat an eye.

This site lists a few companies that don't follow the tabloid hype on breeds:

Insurance for Pit Bulls, What Insurers Accept Pitbulls

Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
That's the media hype talking to the neighbor. Ignore it.

As for insurance, look at State Farm. They're an insurance company with a brain. As along as dog hasn't bitten anyone, they don't penalize you for owning a specific breed. When I got my homeowners insurance I had 3 rotts, 2 pits, 2 GSDs and a chow in my home and they didn't bat an eye.

This site lists a few companies that don't follow the tabloid hype on breeds:

Insurance for Pit Bulls, What Insurers Accept Pitbulls
thats good to know about state farm .... i am insured with them right now, but as far as the outside world is concerned, dave is just a lab and heaven knows what else mix....... although i do suspect rottie in one of the not-too-distant tree branches.......

Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,933 times
I would agree with the statement about pit bulls being sensitive to heat and sun. We have two pits. One dark brown and one white with some black (petey lookalike). Contrary to common sense, the white one seems to get more affected by the heat. If its cloudy and cool she can run with me for 8 miles without problem. Under other conditions she'll only go a few blocks before she looks like she wants to go to sleep. You also have to watch out for sun burn. I have to put sunblock on her nose or else she'll get very pink.

Is your cat declawed? If so, it has no way of defending itself. How strong is the dog's prey drive? If it sees a squirrel on a walk, what is the reaction? There's not much difference between a squirrel and a cat to a dog. If your dog doesn't have much reaction to small animals maybe you'll be fine with the cat and dog unsupervised. You just have to be willing to take the chance. Without going in to details, we would never take that chance again.

I would think that some (hopefully most) pit owners would agree with my next statement. We, as responsible pit owners, owe it to these dogs to do our part in trying to change the public's opinion. Even if its one person at a time. This means that we have to work extra hard at making sure they are well-behaved, socially-adjusted, and ultra-obedient. Our pit's behavior is the only way to change opinion. Every person that has come to visit us is initially apprehensive with our dogs. By the end of the visit they want to take them home.

There is an unfortunate negative to owning pits. Without question, they have the worst smelling gas of any dog I have ever been around. Someone created this hat for a reason:

Unless You Own a Pit Bull Trucker Hat from Zazzle.com

Last edited by LeftCoastee; 09-09-2009 at 01:38 PM..

Old 09-09-2009, 01:22 PM

I am more worried about what the cat may do to the dog.

She is a Persian Blue and not very friendly with most.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:38 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,683,094 times
be careful introducing the dog and the cat - even if the dog is nice to people he may not be nice to small animals, or other dogs. those are all separate kinds of aggression. he also might react differently if he sees dogs on leash or off leash, or through a fence, or if a cat or dog tries to mess with his food or toys. plenty of pits get along fine with cats; just be careful til you know how he reacts and don't leave them together unsupervised.

and you're actually right that the cat could also hurt the dog!

he sounds like a sweetie, pits are such a great breed! er conglomeration of different breeds & mixes.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:53 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I am more worried about what the cat may do to the dog.

She is a Persian Blue and not very friendly with most.
Just don't underestimate the dog. While a cat could certainly scratch and claw the heck out of the dog, Pits are very strong. All it takes is one quick shake of the head. Tragically, we know this from personal experience. Our dog and cat were fine together for 2 years prior. I don't want to see anyone else go through what my wife went through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs