Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 07:00 PM

691 posts, read 2,330,012 times

Advertisements

That is true, how can you think a creature who will swim in a pool for hours trying to get three tennis balls in his mouth at one time is actually intelligent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 02:57 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times
My dog is a total airhead. She wags her tail at strangers but barks at (or gets freaked out by) things like helium balloons, a grocery bag blowing down the street, an umbrella, a kayak...

Last year my kids put an awful haunted scarecrow Halloween decoration in the yard (adult human size) she ran up to it for attention. Then a couple of months later she almost jumped out of her fur when she saw a Santa decoration in our front yard (if a dog could scream, she would have screamed!).

She does have flashes of intelligence though: If our kids aren't home by their usual times she'll nag the heck out of us (whine, worry, fret) until they return. She is very loyal to her family. As we are to her.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:14 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,346,450 times
Our dog is very smart.

When you say hi to her she will reply with a little hi (sounds a little like a yawn but she knows how to say hi).

Say "Gimme Kiss" and she'll give you a kiss on the lips or cheek.

We say "you wanna eat" or "you wanna drink" and if she gets hyper and runs into the kitchen we know if she's hungry or thirsty, if she stays calm that means she's not hungry or thirsty.

We ask her "you wanna go outside" and she gets hyper and jumps on your lap and kisses you then runs to the door.

She has cat like reflexes so she's very good at smacking bugs out of the air then she creeps up quietly and steps on them.

If she notices a big person she'll bark like a large dog and they'll get scared especially if they don't see her (she's only about 5-8 pounds lol).

She has to lay like a person, she has her own pillow and she likes to sleep with covers in the Winter.

There's whole lot she can do, some of the things she does and the faces she makes in certain situations tells me she has a high intellect.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:15 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,203,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor_McCheese View Post
My dog is pretty smart.
she chewed the popsicle stick and left it back on my night stand for me in the morning. Needless to say I was pretty surprised. But I probably shouldn't be as she does stuff like this all the time now.
I have a dog door to the backyard and it has it's plusses and minuses. At 4 in the morning my little dog came into the bedroom and I turned on the light and she threw this dead mouse or chipmunk on the floor and sat down all tufted out and proud that she hunted and brought this thing to me I just thought 'Oh, Lovely'

One time I was cleaning up all the dog toys in the living room and grabbed this squirrel toy they have ...at least I thought it was the toy one until I picked it up - it was real...dead...but real.

I've had half alive birds brought into the house by them, woodchucks in the garage, chipmunks on a chair.

What I put up with these dogs (there are 4) for the convenience of that door.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:22 AM

27,359 posts, read 27,411,236 times
When I worked in security, I had a shepherd that would sit and stay as commanded. He would only listen to my voice. One morning I took him for a walk in the neighbourhood, told him to sit, at the corner. Walked about a half block away when a cat went prancing across the street. He didnt budge. As soon as I called for him he came running. He was also able to scale a 6' block wall, walk along te top, and jump down on command. Loved that dog, he was one of the best.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:23 AM

548 posts, read 1,480,393 times
I was just thinking of a neighbor's dog. He was a sweet golden retriever who knew every command imaginable. The funniest one though was, "Poop!" The dog actually pooped on command. One day while the couple was out of the house, a friend of theirs decided to play a joke on them. The friend called the house and talked to the dog through their answering machine telling him to poop. And he did! Haha!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,203,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
I was just thinking of a neighbor's dog. He was a sweet golden retriever who knew every command imaginable. The funniest one though was, "Poop!" The dog actually pooped on command. One day while the couple was out of the house, a friend of theirs decided to play a joke on them. The friend called the house and talked to the dog through their answering machine telling him to poop. And he did! Haha!!!
OMG!!! I love this one!!! HA HA HA

Old 09-22-2009, 09:05 AM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times
Speaking of poop...

Our dog (also a golden) doesn't poop on command but she is a very neat pooper. She's picked a little wooded area in our back yard to use as her potty. She never poops on the grass or where the kids play.

Also, one time she ate something that didn't agree with her tummy and it gave her diahrea. She was home alone and must have had to go really bad and could not hold it - so she pooped on a little folded up towel that we had left laying on the floor of our bedroom. Couldn't have been neater.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 AM

Wow, that's so considerate of her!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 AM

Thursday, that dog was awesome! You must really love that dog door! I would not be able to handle dead animals being brought into my house! Ewww!!! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs