Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:52 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,908,745 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine has GSDs. One day, she let us in through the perimeter gate remotely, and we parked and got out of the van. None of the dogs acted aggressively towards us but one of them stood in front of me and blocked me from proceeding any further towards the house. He did not move til she came out and greeted me. He was not going to let me go near his family unless they said it was ok.

I have a pit mix and I have to agree - they are big babies. Gosh he is such a baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 01:27 PM

738 posts, read 1,885,126 times
Without question, IMHO, the German Shepherd Dog has the best temperament and keen intelligence that it's breed has earned it an international fan club.

The GSD has an affable, easy-going nature and a strong protective instinct when provoked.
Many people close to the breed of the GSD frequently claim that German Shepherds know right from wrong and that a well-trained GSD is the best roommate you could ask for.

There are numerous German Shepherd Rescue organizations across the country. Possibly adopt one from one of these agencies. If you live in Cali ...there are several rescue groups.

Good luck to you!!!!

Old 10-02-2009, 01:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,645,393 times
My aunt (an LAPD officer) has a GSD from Germany, trained by the police force over there.

This dog is beyond amazing.... He's pure black, huge and ridiculously well trained and obedient. He 'calls' t each of my cousins with a different type of bark/whimper when he wants individual attention and he is VERY sneaky... When people come over to their house, he crouches down and hides, watching my aunt or cousins for the go ahead to be mean or nice. If she signals that the intruder is a good person, he will NEVER act suspicious to that person again. He also recognizes the cars he trusts and acts accordingly. His name is Recon, after all

I would highly recommend a well trained GSD for a 'guard dog'.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:35 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,188,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My aunt (an LAPD officer) has a GSD from Germany, trained by the police force over there.

This dog is beyond amazing.... He's pure black, huge and ridiculously well trained and obedient. He 'calls' t each of my cousins with a different type of bark/whimper when he wants individual attention and he is VERY sneaky... When people come over to their house, he crouches down and hides, watching my aunt or cousins for the go ahead to be mean or nice. If she signals that the intruder is a good person, he will NEVER act suspicious to that person again. He also recognizes the cars he trusts and acts accordingly. His name is Recon, after all

I would highly recommend a well trained GSD for a 'guard dog'.
That is impressive.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:55 PM

93 posts, read 457,677 times
I've had all types of dogs over the years and would have to say that my Chows were the best guard dogs. Chows are protective, smart, obedient, don't bark much (except when they need to), and all around super dogs IMO.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:03 PM

15 posts, read 58,691 times
I totally agree Jm24.... I have 3 chow chows and they are very obedient, never bark (unless there's a problem) and are very protective our male will set by the door when some one comes in and look at them if we welcome them in he goes and lays down, if there's a problem or it's like a pizza delivery guy or something you can just see he (my chow chow) is on high alert.. Chow chows are awesome dogs....

Old 10-02-2009, 03:13 PM

19 posts, read 60,208 times
I had a dog that was half husky and half American-Eskimo, so it looked like a husky, but was the smaller size of an American Eskimo, which is a medium sized dog. She was incredibly smart and social. Only trouble was she was very good at escaping out the font door and she loved to run around in the woods chasing small animals. She eventually escaped one day and we never saw her again. I suspect someone stole her. A beautiful dog.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:48 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,285,969 times
Almost any dog that feels it is a part of the family will be loyal to you and territorial. I have a big black lab- 125 lbs. Not high on the list of guard dogs, but let's just say that no one comes in our yard without our permission. He looks scary (inch long incisors) and has a deep loud bark when needed. But in reality he just wants to play, once he knows you're alright. I think a criminal would have to be foolish to pick our house, though.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:57 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,285,969 times
Regarding jumping fences: I had a boxer who would jump over my 4ft fence for fun, back and forth from the neighbors yard. She could clear a 6ft fence without too much trouble. My friend had two that would climb over his 10ft chain-link fence! My lab can semi-jump/semi-climb my 4ft fence. He's not quite the jumper my boxer was.

My wife's shar-pei couldn't jump the fence, but could wriggle out through the smallest spaces you can imagine. I think she had no vertebrae.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:59 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,870,467 times
If you want a good watchdog that will bark at strangers or anything out of the norm my vote would be for an Australian Shepherd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs