Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
My friend had two that would climb over his 10ft chain-link fence!
My beagle basset does that. I always wonder how they get down the other side. They must just dive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 08:43 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,285,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
He looks scary (inch long incisors) ...
I'm a dolt. That would be his canines. D'oh!

Old 10-03-2009, 06:50 PM

553 posts, read 1,273,025 times
I echo the fans of GSDs. Wonderful dogs. I have a GSD mix who is very alert and protective.

I had a Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog that was just phenomenal. He was a lovable thug. A real sweetie, but protective. He once scared away one of those door to door salespeople who was a little aggressive and wanted to come in my house.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 7,523 times
I have a Pit Mix and she is veary protective of me and my family. I was threatened once while camping n she was on a leash at the time. She almost tore the tree out of the ground protecting us.
The intruders thretened us with deadly force,(a gun) I'm glad we had her there, if we didn't at least one of us would be dead today.
I NEVER taught this to her, I just love her n treat her great. she's my girl. Veary loving and loyal....

Old 12-11-2010, 09:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,976,721 times
I am a fan of Boxers. They look the part of a guard dog but they are the biggest babies.

Mastiffs would be my second choice.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:39 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,302,468 times
A dog that thinks that biting any human is acceptable is a lot of responsibility for your average dog owner. I would never want my dog's life to be put in jeopardy based on her ability to determine the sincerity of a threat, and her life would definitely be in danger if she mistook a paramedic, helpful neighbor, or neighborhood kid for a dangerous criminal. Instead, she is trained to bark. That way, the decision to respond with appropriate force is in my or my wife's hands, and as humans we can be better equipped for dangerous social situations than our furry friends.

As you can see below, Ninja approves of the fact that she is not expected to bite anyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Best guard dog breed is-guns2_resized.jpg  

Old 12-13-2010, 09:19 PM

245 posts, read 698,258 times
I'm with a few of the previous posters. I use the Pomeranian/Colt Python defense. Criminals have ways get around about any dog but with my revolver, I have 6 little friends and they can all run faster than you.

My oldest Pom was a great watchdog. When she barked there was a reason for it. Sadly she has gone totally deaf after 15 years. We are grooming a new pup to take over alarm duties. Old Fox can retire and just be a couch dog now.

Truth is I'd have a bigger dog but full-timing in a motorhome requires either a bigger RV or a smaller dog. With the fuel prices being what they are, we opted for a small dog. I think most dogs have some guard instinct in them whatever the size or breed.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 AM

408 posts, read 809,936 times
I have a German Shepherd and a Doberman...people are terrified of them even thought they are the sweetest girls ever! People have actually crossed the street while I was walking them and I've also had people tell me to keep my dogs away from their kids. I guarantee no one would break into my house hearing those two bark!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
the BEST guard dog ever, 3 chihuahuas...the noise alone is enough to drive a criminal to make a "better descicion"

we actually had someone wandering around our property one night, i let my 5 and 9lbs chinese cresteds out of their crate when i heard noise. they imediatly dove towards the door barking and i heard "oh S**t" and whoever was out there left.

the SOUND of a dog or 2 no matter what their size is enough of a deterant.

unless TRAINED for protection no dog is a good guard dog (unless were talkinglivestock protection dogs) MOST dogs would rather flight than actually fight (dont get me wrong they will put on a show, but the bite and run is more likely than the attack and hold) and those that would stay bite and hold are real liabilities in most peoples hands.

if your seriously interested in doing the correct training and upkeep of a personal protection dog though german sheps, dobies, rotties, am bullies (not pits or staffy bulls they are SUPPOSED to be very people frinedly) alphalphas, boerboel, dogos, pressa are all great dogs for the JOB...but they have to have the correct trining and the right handler as they then become weapons and too many a wonderufll breed has been damaged by idiots not respecting the power of the animal they THOUGHT they wanted to train to protect.

not to mention dogs are flesh and blood and most criminals nowerdays carry guns...

personally my choice in a "intimidating" dog would be dependant on too many things, do you have a family? how much can you afford on vet care and feeding bills (some breeds like the sheperds are more prone to dysplasia, dobies bloat ect) how much dog are you looking for, coat preference, size preference ect.
id NEVER want a protection dog, its too much work for the average dog owner and i dont have the energy to manage a dog thats had that level of training.

an american pitbull, am or english staffy bull is typically a great family dog with a big bark and looks rather intimidating, those factors alone might be enough for what your looking for but remember and human agressive "pit bull" is actually a HUGE fault in the breed.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:05 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,756,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I am a fan of Boxers. They look the part of a guard dog but they are the biggest babies.

Mastiffs would be my second choice.
We are Mastiff fans and would love to keep one in our life for the rest of it. I love the look on the door to door salesmen when my old boy jumps up in the window and barks and drools. He looks insane but would love to just play. Most of the time they do not even leave a card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs