Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,207 times

Advertisements

So I noticed a spot on Buster near his rear yesterday, like a patch of hair was missing. When I took him outside it became more noticeable. He had just gotten a hair cut at the groomer last week so it was hard to tell at first if it was something he did or something the groomer did by mistake. I've also noticed over the past few days he's been paying a lot of attention to that spot.

Buster had mange at the beginning of the year and it was really bad. We had to dip him, we also had to dip Bella for a preventative. I had to rent a steam cleaner to clean the couches, everything had to get washed, dog beds thrown out, toys thrown out, it was a hassle.

I got home from class today and the spot has now gotten raw from him chewing on it. I've been using the spray I got from the vet the last time he had it, but I don't have the dip or the antibiotics he used anymore. I stuck the "buster" collar on him so he would quit biting that spot and washed it pretty well, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to take him back to the vet and it's going to cost another $200. I'm going to have to throw out all of the toys and replace them again, clean my couches, wash everything in the house that he has touched and dip Bella to prevent her from getting it.

I just feel bad for Buster. The last time he had it, I thought he got it from the dog park I use to take him to, but since he hasn't been there in over a year now the only conclusion that I can come to is that the groomer I use doesn't properly wash their tools after each dog.

Has any experienced problems with a groomer like this before? If so, have you asked them to compensate you for what they did to your dog? This has already cost me $200 and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to take him back to the vet and spend more money to get him better from something that could have been prevented had the groomer sanitized their tools.

I don't think I would be so mad had he just got it from the park or the dog park again, but if it's a case where it's the groomers fault I don't really know what to do as far as speaking with them about this and trying to get them to compensate me for the problem they caused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 11:38 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Are you referring to sarcoptic mange or demodex? Generally, I thought mange is caused from a weakened immune system, wouldn't blame the groomer or the park. Stress can trigger it too, ie new members of the family, moving, surgery etc. Havent dealt w/ either so Im no expert, maybe others can chime in w/ more experience but would hold off pointing any fingers right now as I don't think it's warranted.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:44 AM

The last time he had it, it was sarcoptic, and now that you say it can be triggered by stress it is possible because around that time we got a new dog, but that was two months prior to him getting it.

We moved in July, and it is now October so I'm not sure if he's been stressed out this whole time and it's just now developing, plus he has been paying special attention to that spot since he got home from the groomer, never before then.

He seems to be a pretty healthy dog otherwise. Anytime he goes to the vet he checks out ok, unless it's for something specific like he's sick or this whole mange thing.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:19 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
I've not had a dog with sarcoptic, but one I pulled from a shelter had demo. I did find some info on new treatments for sarc that you might want to talk to the vet about:

Fortunately, there are several other products that have been extremely effective, safe, and convenient in treating sarcoptic mange. Selamectin (Revolution) is a newer product, which is a topical solution that is applied once a month and also provides heartworm prevention, flea control, some tick protection and protection against Sarcoptic mange. Frontline Plus, Frontline Top Spot, and Frontline Spray are also labelled for use as aids in controlling sarcoptic mange. Liquid ivermectin is an off label alternative that is sometimes used. It is used at much higher concentrations than are found in heartworm preventives (e.g., Heartgard). Ivermectin should not be used in Collies or Shetland sheep dogs and should be used with caution in the herding breeds. In dogs that are sensitive to ivermectin, some veterinarians have been having success using milbemycin oxime (Interceptor) at an off-label dose. All of these products should only be used under direct veterinary supervision and care.

More info here:

Sarcoptic Mange in Dogs

Old 10-05-2009, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the tips so far everyone!

It looks like I'm gonna just take him into see the vet tomorrow so I can get this under control before my other dog gets it.

The dip they gave me last time is called Pormite, I think, that's what the writing looks like. I had to dilute it with water and leave it on them to air dry.

Is the Ivermectin (sp?) the anti-biotic they give them or is it a topical? I can't remember, or is that the actual dip?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Definitely treat it right away. If it's ringworm, you can catch it.

I've read that tea tree oil works well for mange and ringworm.

My girlfriend swears by tea tree oil. She uses it to kill everything on her family members and pets.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:45 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
Is the Ivermectin (sp?) the anti-biotic they give them or is it a topical? I can't remember, or is that the actual dip?
Ivermectin is not an antibiotic. It's a brand name for a type of wormer/anti-parasite.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,700 times
Mitaban is what they use for dips.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Mitaban is what they use for dips.

From what I can read on the recipe from the last trip (it's hard to read because it's a carbon copy) the dip they gave us is called Pormite. The only way I can describe it is it smells 100 times worse than a nail salon, we had to wear gloves, long sleeves and protective eye wear when we used it because it was literally straight poison.

He's going to the vet tomorrow so we'll see how it turns out.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I think I'm also going to change their food again and get them on a healthier, grain free dog food.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:36 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
My rescue chihuahua developed demodectic mange because she was so malnourished.

You have GOT to take her to the vet for a diagnosis. You can't just look at the lesion - there has got to be a scraping done. Demodectic mange is NOT itchy, and sarcoptic mange is - but you have to still get a scraping because some dogs to get at their demodex lesions and scratch them. You can't blame the groomer - demodex is NOT contagious. In fact, the little mite at the heart of the infestation is something that every dog gets from mom when they nurse! It's when there's malnutrition or other stressor (or in a female being unspayed!) or hypothyroidism that the little nasties get out of control. This is absolutely treatable! Don't give up!

Ivermectin is VERY effective!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs