Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:13 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,554,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
For people like me, who love dogs, love going to the park or hiking with a dog, but can't currently own a dog. For me, I am traveling so much right now, and for rather long periods of time (like 1+ months at a time) that it would be really unthoughtful of me to get a pet.

But I really miss running with a dog sometimes, or taking one to the park to play. Anyone want to loan me their dog for a weekend?
A few years ago, I saw an ad on craigslist stating a person was a dog lover & wanted to walk dogs for free...- I just noticed Honeycrisp mentioned the same thing... I wonder if it was in Eugene, OR?

I think that would make people suspicious though. So if you did put an ad, just put a cheap rate ad & say it's to gain a reputation, maybe. Just an idea!

An old boyfriend used to go hang out at the dog park...

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 10-10-2009 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: an "oh yeah!" moment... senior moment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 11:13 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,493,391 times
There are certain breed dogs I have had an interest in and read about them and have had some concerns. I have thought it would be nice if I could "borrow" one and see what they are like. I have been interested in English Bulldogs, French Bulldogs, and Maltese.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:38 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,477,658 times
I know this is area-specific, but the humane society in our city have a volunteer program...i think it's called 'run with the dogs.' Since they have a lot of dogs who need some serious exercise other than walking, they have a group of volunteers who take certain dogs on 2-3 mile runs. Some people show up after work, instead of going to a gym, and grab a running partner! Pretty cool idea ~

Old 10-13-2009, 01:45 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,554,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I know this is area-specific, but the humane society in our city have a volunteer program...i think it's called 'run with the dogs.' Since they have a lot of dogs who need some serious exercise other than walking, they have a group of volunteers who take certain dogs on 2-3 mile runs. Some people show up after work, instead of going to a gym, and grab a running partner! Pretty cool idea ~

Great post, WFelina!

Maybe it could become less area specific & more widespread if those wanting to participate would engage their local shelters in this program.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:30 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,354,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
FLEXPETZ - Flexible Pet Ownership This is sort of like pet rental. I totally agree with you! When I travel without my dog I wish we could request a extra friendly dog to stay in our hotel room For some reason some people are very against stuff like this....I don't know why
I personally dislike the idea of pet rentals. dogs are not furniture, aren't cars. they're living creatures that thrive in consistent pack conditions. I feel bad for these flexpetz rental dogs b/c I can imagine them being very confused, constantly sleeping in different homes or spending times w/ different people. and who's to say one of these renters don't end up being a creep? I've heard of Flexpetz and it seems like they're trying to be humane towards the dogs (ie, using rescue dogs), I'm VERY worried of copycat businesses w/ lesser standards. also, a couple of countries, states, and cities have banned pet rental businesses, likely for similar concerns that I listed above.

I agree w/ the idea of volunteering at a shelter or offering free dog walking services. some hotels have "house pets" that you can maybe "borrow" if you stay there. check out different shelters in various locations. last resort is to hang out at a popular dog park and make friends w/ the dogs and owners there

Old 10-14-2009, 06:30 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
I like the idea of the Humane Society walks and runs....but as far as animal rentals? No! A dog is not a purse or blouse, pair of shoes, that it should be "rented" out ....And if people care for it, like they care for other rental things, like cars, furniture, etc....the dogs are the ones who would suffer. I can understand your want of a dog, I personally, would never be with out one....but people should go volunteer their time and forfill their needs that way.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:39 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
if you are going to be in the st. louis area in the next few weeks, i would seriously consider taking you up on this......

i dislocated my left knee (with attendant ligament tearing/damage) last week and am not able to walk my two..... we are used to going 2-3 miles an evening after work and they are getting a little stir crazy, to put it mildly......

if there is a chance in heck.... please dm me.....

Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,742,360 times
Absolutely advocate contacting your local shelter. Our local Humane Society has always welcomed volunteers to walk, groom, and play with the dogs (and the cats too!) Formerly in a dingy and cramped location for years, the new state of the art facility is soon to open, replete with dog walking trails and much, much more - HSSTT index - so check out your local facility! And if you ever come on a vacation here, well, we can satisfy your desire too in that respect!

Old 10-16-2009, 06:45 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
How about volunteering at a shelter or rescue? You can walk the dogs and play w/them when you have the time.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'd never loan my dogs out. There's too many sickos in the world. But shelters are always looking for someone to help out.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:28 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,681,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
There are certain breed dogs I have had an interest in and read about them and have had some concerns. I have thought it would be nice if I could "borrow" one and see what they are like. I have been interested in English Bulldogs, French Bulldogs, and Maltese.
My maltese is the most gentlemanly dog I've ever met. He's mild-mannered, patient, polite, loving, and just a joy to have in our lives. I wouldn't hesitate to get another maltese because they're just great little dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs