Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Best Way To Get Rid Of Parasites From Dogs??
Liquid Solution from a Vet/Pet Shop. 2 40.00%
Medicine in a bottle from a good pet shop/vet. 1 20.00%
A Pill to kill the parasites from any pet place. 0 0%
Find it yourselves and kill the parasite. 0 0%
Others... please subscribe. 2 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:20 AM

43 posts, read 129,028 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in Malaysia. I have 1 dog. Its name is Ebony. It is a mix breed that I don't know nor the vet nor the other dog owners nor the pet shop. No1 knows. Sad right? An owner not knowing its own dog breed... Well anyways, i'm trying to find the best way of getting rid of the fleas,ticks and the other parasites on my dog. After you polled for one, type down why it is the best way and all the stuff. Type some of the details too! Thanks! I really want my dog to have NO parasites at all so I can put it in the house and cuddle it!! Again I say Thanks!! I need all the parasites to be dead and gone from my dog and the garden because I'm going to celebrate its birthday on 7th of November!! Its birthday IS ON 7th November. It was born last year on that day. Please help me to do this by telling me where to get it and the details!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 05:48 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,445,659 times
I did not vote, because it is a combination of things. Not only does the dog need to be treated, but also his bedding, your yard and the entire house. Doing one, without the other is useless. For instant killing of fleas, CapStar is wonderful. It is a pill that can be given as often as needed. But again, you must be rid of the fleas inside your home, or else they will just re-infect him. Also use a preventative on him. Ticks I would pull as you see them and use a preventative as well. There are some treatments on the market that take care of both fleas and ticks. Not sure what you have available to you where you live. Check with your vet.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:42 AM

Thanks but so far I haven't found any thing named CapStar in my country part.... but maybe some other pet shops may have that I have not gone. I'll try to find it. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:54 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
My dogs do great on Revolution. Never had a flea. It also get many other things. Worms, ear mitts.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:02 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,445,659 times
You will not find CapStar in any petstore. Not sure if they ship over seas, but you can find it here: 1800PetMeds - Search Results

Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 AM

I'm sure non of you live in Malaysia, PJ right? I'm sure you live in America or Singapore?? But where can I find the Revolution or CapStar in Malaysia, Petaling Jaya?? The pet shops and vets I know in Malaysia... their ones are not working really good... I put 2 types of solutions. One is to kill all the fleas, ticks, mites and every parasite on the dog. And the other one is to kill fleas and ticks. But so far my dog still has fleas and ticks or other parasites. It usually scratches somewhere near the belly, behind or around the ear and on its neck. But when I try to feel a tick/flea, I just can't feel a little bump....

Also, I went to your website for the CapStar already, ShelbyGirl1. As I chose the animal and put Dog and put it 25 lbs - 125lbs it cost $27.99. that means $28.00 mostly since it is $27.99. But since I live in Malaysia, and the $27.99 is in US Dollars how will it be delivered to my house and how long will it take? If it takes like 1 month, I'm fine as long at its not over 7th of November 2009 because it is my dog, Ebony's birthday.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 AM

738 posts, read 2,958,702 times
Add a teaspoon of brewers yeast to their food, and it will keep fleas away.

Fleas dislike the thiamine in yeast and garlic. Many people feed garlic to their pets as well, but some sources say that garlic can be toxic to dogs and cats. Yeast (brewers or natural) is plenty healthy for dogs though.

Google it.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times
As ShelbyGirl says, there are some great preventatives on the market (like poster Driller1 I swear by Revolution) but before you use that or any similar medication you need to take care of particularly the inside living quarters too. The best way of doing that is to seal up the quarters as best you can and then use foggers which I'm sure will be available in Malaysia as they're common enough worldwide.

As far as the outside is concerned, all I can tell you is that I too live in a tropical part of the world and I have both inside and inside/outside cats. ALL the cats are on Revolution once a month and don't get fleas (or roundworms or ear mites) and once every six months or so I "bomb" the inside with foggers just to do a basic clean-out and to be on the safe side.

Capstar is a good product but expensive and is only a 1-time cure - in other words it's flea-killing action is almost immediate but it is NOT a preventative. I used it on one cat who was allergic not only to Frontline (another preventative) but also allergic to a flea collar, until I found Revolution to which this cat was NOT allergic.

I don't know what's available to you in Malaysia as far as preventatives are concerned but if you're not having success with what you've already purchased then the problem may be that you haven't de-infested your house in advance.

And with all due respect, there's nothing "sad" about not knowing what breed of dog you have. Most of the dogs in my part of the world are mixed breeds (some of them quite odd-looking when, for instance, a pitbull mates with a chihuahua!) - and certainly all my cats are equally island-born so are quite a mixture.

Hopefully you have a fenced-in area where Ebony can safely play, hopefully you've had him/her spayed/neutered and he/she has been properly vaccinated? Heartworm is very prevalent here but Ebony (as long as he/she has tested negative for it) can go on preventative medication for that too. The heartworm preventative used to be a monthly pill but I understand you can now get it in a prescription which lasts for several months.

I'm sorry to barrage you with information but I would guess this is your first companion animal? If you want your pet around for a long time (and hopefully you're looking forward to a LONG relationship with Ebony) it's not an inexpensive proposition. Ebony's lifespan could be projected as being about 20 years.

Island mixed breeds are very hardy but the initial expense in spaying/neutering, heartworm and parvo tests can be crucial in order for them to make it through the first year with preventative maintenance costing quite a bit over the lifespan.

I hope this helps a little. Cheers and good luck!

Old 10-20-2009, 01:52 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,473,927 times
The absolute BEST way to eliminate fleas, tics, and heartworms from your dog's life is to move to Alaska! We don't have any of those pesky critters around here. Now if only they can make a dog collar that will repel wolves, bears, and moose.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,609 times
I live in Miami,Fl and I have never had a tick problem like I am having now. I have tried dog collars,I have sprayed the yard including the walls of the house and the wood fence, I have tried all different types of sprays for the house, yard and for dogs that Home Depot carries also foggers. Now, the little suckers have moved into my home. I tried garlic, yeast, fish oil pills. I read on line about making a basil spray ( did not work), wash the dog with vinegar (did not work) , dust the dog with Sven. I feel whatever I try to use to kill them it appears to make them stronger. Unfortunely my family does not like the cold weather so moving to Alaska is out of the question.
Has anyone tried anything different that has worked? I heard about getting hens or chickens. However, my dogs would just look at them as dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs