Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,987,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Jupiter is about 10 weeks old now...we got him when he was just a little over 6 weeks. We've been constantly taking him out, and he's alerted us at the door 3 separate times that he has to go out.
However, often, (especially when its my mother that takes him out) he will go outside, go potty, then come back inside and potty again not 5 minutes later!

Ive begun threatening to turn this puppy into a bathroom rug! Thank God I have hardwood floors! He sleeps in my room on the floor at night, and will alert me in the morning that he has to go. Other than that, there's usually no warning.

He HATES his crate, despite frequent coaxing (I CRAWLED in it myself with fresh-cooked beef chunks and he STILL wont go in it!) and will howl for hours if put in there. Paper training doesnt work either, because both dogs LOVE shredding paper---no matter whats on it.
I cant just take all water away either, because I do have an adult dog's needs to consider as well. I cant let him outside with Jasper because he is still of a size where he can squeeze through the crack between the gate and the fence.
Is there such a thing as Huggies for Puppies?! Im sick of finding "blessings" and puddles!

Im also trying to get him to stay put when we ride in the car, because he wants to come over and crawl over me when Im driving, making it awkward to steer. "No" and a push repeatedly DOESNT work, he just keeps trying over and over again, and if Jasper is in the backseat they'll start playing around. That wont work either.

Im at a complete loss as to what to do and so bloody frustrated with this puppy!.
quick answer: he is 10 weeks old.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 06:17 AM

11 posts, read 234,305 times
I'd hate to get hit by a car where the excuse was "The dog crawled down my lap and stepped on the gas pedal!"

Old 10-31-2009, 08:51 AM

830 posts, read 2,716,315 times
They do make diapers for dogs. You'd want to be very careful using them while housetraining a dog (as opposed to using them with an incontinent older dog, their real purpose) because you don't want the dog to get the idea that it's "ok" to go in the house.

But I have to say I did use them a bit when I first got my adult, unhousetrained dog. We had to stay in a hotel during that time and I wasn't taking any chances. They only work for pee, but that seems to be your problem anyway.

But I agree, 10 weeks old is just an itty baby. He'll grow up. Just keep being consistent. And when you take him out for business, don't head in immediately after he makes his first pee. As you know, he's got more in there.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:21 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,062,189 times
I agree with ViralMd about housetraining. Even adult dogs get distracted by all the outdoor smells and sounds when they go out and have to be reminded to and given enough time to do their business. Even adult dogs hold some urine in their bladder ... so they can go multiple times.

Be consistent and do use a clicker with rewards.

Your dog's a baby.

There are all kinds of inexpensive harnesses for dogs travelling in a car. Put him in the back seat in a harness when you're driving.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:39 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,042,279 times
Thanks for all the input....I havent done the puppy thing in 6 years....and I cant wait till he gets older!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the input....I havent done the puppy thing in 6 years....and I cant wait till he gets older!
you know in a few months, when he gives you unconditional love this house breaking thing will be long forgotten. Our very best dog (and with 50 plus years of marrigage) there have been a lot was our wonderful Springer Spanial, Reggie. Reggie wasn't completely trained until about 6 months, not to mention he learned how to push the sliding door of the wardrobe closet open so he could drag one shoe out at a time and preceed to have it as a snack. This also lasted, for what seemed like forever. Well, long story, short, as I said he was the most delightful dog, everyone loved him and I don't know of many people who were much smarter than Reggie. When we moved here about 18 months ago, the third day, we were out shopping, there was a thunder storm, he was afraid of thunder, got out of the dog run somehow (we have no idea how) and the was the last we saw of him. I would take those potty training days anytime just to have him back.

Nita

Old 11-02-2009, 01:51 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,608,982 times
Also so he can't sneak away from you, tether the puppy to you with a leash inside the house. Make sure you and your mom are doing the exact same thing, it's tricky when two people are training. And it sounds gross, but you can even put a paper towel that you used to clean up his pee outside where you want him to go. If he smells it he'll naturally want to go and then be drawn to that spot again the next time you take him out. Remember to be patient with the little guy! And look into getting him a doggie seatbelt, I've heard great things about them from posts on here.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:56 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,103,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you know in a few months, when he gives you unconditional love this house breaking thing will be long forgotten. Our very best dog (and with 50 plus years of marrigage) there have been a lot was our wonderful Springer Spanial, Reggie. Reggie wasn't completely trained until about 6 months, not to mention he learned how to push the sliding door of the wardrobe closet open so he could drag one shoe out at a time and preceed to have it as a snack. This also lasted, for what seemed like forever. Well, long story, short, as I said he was the most delightful dog, everyone loved him and I don't know of many people who were much smarter than Reggie. When we moved here about 18 months ago, the third day, we were out shopping, there was a thunder storm, he was afraid of thunder, got out of the dog run somehow (we have no idea how) and the was the last we saw of him. I would take those potty training days anytime just to have him back.

Nita
Oh Nita! How sad! I take it that Reggie wasn't chipped and/or didn't have tags on? I hope that someone found Reggie (or that Reggie found someone), and that Reggie is being loved.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh Nita! How sad! I take it that Reggie wasn't chipped and/or didn't have tags on? I hope that someone found Reggie (or that Reggie found someone), and that Reggie is being loved.
yes, he was chipped, but no he didn't have tags, we had just taken off his NM license and were about to get new ones. We had only been in the house 2 days. Even though it has been 18 months, we think about him almost everyday. The only saving grace, we are sure someone took him and is probably giving him a wonderful life. He would be happy with anyone that talked to him. I just hope they didn't decide to make him into nothing but a hunting dog and keep him outside all the time. He thought the bed was his and allowed us to use it each night.

thanks for your thoughts,

Nita

Old 11-29-2009, 11:50 AM

285 posts, read 928,909 times
Quote:
Jupiter is about 10 weeks old now...we got him when he was just a little over 6 weeks. We've been constantly taking him out, and he's alerted us at the door 3 separate times that he has to go out.
However, often, (especially when its my mother that takes him out) he will go outside, go potty, then come back inside and potty again not 5 minutes later!

Ive begun threatening to turn this puppy into a bathroom rug! Thank God I have hardwood floors! He sleeps in my room on the floor at night, and will alert me in the morning that he has to go. Other than that, there's usually no warning.

He HATES his crate, despite frequent coaxing (I CRAWLED in it myself with fresh-cooked beef chunks and he STILL wont go in it!) and will howl for hours if put in there. Paper training doesnt work either, because both dogs LOVE shredding paper---no matter whats on it.
I cant just take all water away either, because I do have an adult dog's needs to consider as well. I cant let him outside with Jasper because he is still of a size where he can squeeze through the crack between the gate and the fence.
Is there such a thing as Huggies for Puppies?! Im sick of finding "blessings" and puddles!

Im also trying to get him to stay put when we ride in the car, because he wants to come over and crawl over me when Im driving, making it awkward to steer. "No" and a push repeatedly DOESNT work, he just keeps trying over and over again, and if Jasper is in the backseat they'll start playing around. That wont work either.

Im at a complete loss as to what to do and so bloody frustrated with this puppy!.

Hi, my wife and I are puppies ourselves. We adopted a Black Lab mix on November 7, 2009. Female, her true age is guessed at about 6-8 weeks when we brought her home. Since that time we have been in training with her teaching her to sit , laydown, to come, crate training. Her 1st week she pee'd in the house only 4 times. After correcting her all she wants to do is go outside to go potty. A friend of mine says get a square of sod grass, put it in a cardboard box and teach the dog to pee in the grass. He has had great success with this sod method. I didn't need it.

Crate training. We decided to turn it into a game with her, I put all of her toys in the crate and if she wants them she has to go and get them. Also we would put her inside the crate if she was sleeping outside of the crate. when she wakes up she notices she is inside the crate and she can come out whenever she wants. crate training is over. She goes in the crate when its time to go nite-nite. She knows the crate is a good place. I will never use the crate to disipline the dog. I will not put food or water in the crate. For my dogs age, (now at about 9-11 weeks), I have never been so impressed with how smart she is and how fast she learns.

Last edited by Matt2225; 11-29-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs