Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:52 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,366,829 times

Advertisements

I am presuming you are in TN. I found this site on the web

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/1180/

I hope it might help you some Sunny.

It's so sad but so true. Wherever there are stupid, dumb, inconsiderate, brainless people, there will always be wonderful animals dumped at kill shelters.

I wish you all the luck Sunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 02:29 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,709,893 times
Sunny, I sent you a private message, and thought I should post these contacts here in case anyone can call or send email. This is a rescue called Collie Concern in east TN. They have a beautiful website, and looks like they really do care. I think they'd want to know about the dog you found, sunny. I sent them email, but a few more messages wouldn't hurt.

Carol Newbeck 865-982-3352
carolnewbeck@adelphia.net

John & Margaret Lindop 865-690-8215
Margaret_Lindop@lycos.com

Old 05-16-2007, 02:47 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,791,068 times
Unhappy To answer your original ? - Because people 'always' believe someone else will adopt their pet

You've touched a nerve as I have done volunteer work at the SPCA and also animal rescue on my own and with other rescue groups in Northern CA . I'd love to spend a lot of time with my answer, but it's very late, so I will post more tomorrow. Suffice it to say, that those who work at Humane Societies, Animal Shelters, Animal Control, etc. has one of the most thankless, heartwrenching jobs known to man.

Animals at shelters that are allowed to stay for months, typically go cage crazy after being locked up for so long and getting maybe one 5 minute walk or outside potty break a day (if that). They are many times depressed and missing their owners and it is difficult to come across as a great family dog or cat when they are in this situation.

I realized years ago that to make a different, I had to get involved! No, I couldn't take all the wonderful shelter animals into my home, but I could help find them a new home . So I took classes at the local SPCA to become an Animal Advocate. That enabled me to take the harder to place, but still deemed adoptable dogs to PetsMart to try to find them a new home. It was a great feeling when I found homes for many hard to place dogs. It helped knowing that I couldn't save them all, but I could still save a few .

Many dogs at shelters need training to make them more adoptable. Or they need baths and/or grooming, or their cages need cleaning, or the dogs need to be walked and lovingly spoken to . These are all things we can do and should do. Is it easy? Heck NO . Does it make a difference? Heck YES

Before I go to bed, one last comment. I thought I'd seen it all, but yesterday, I came across this article and it really ticked me off. I believe CD allows me to link to it and give brief content?! Here goes:

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18662520...15773?GT1=9951

Humane Society pushes to ban pet sales to labs
Lost animals gathered, sold for research, group says; Congress considers bill
The Associated Press
Updated: 4:26 p.m. MT May 14, 2007
WASHINGTON - It’s the nightmare of pet lovers everywhere: Their beloved Fido or Whiskers gets lost, is scooped up by animal thieves, then sold to be dissected in a university research lab.
The Humane Society of the United States estimates that every year middlemen known as “Class B” animal dealers round up about 18,000 dogs and cats through flea markets and free-to-good-home ads, and then sell them to laboratories and university research labs.
In the process, it says lost pets are rounded up, too.
Now that Congress has undergone a change in leadership, the animal advocacy group hopes lawmakers will make it illegal for “Class B” dealers to sell “random source” cats and dogs to research labs.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:37 AM

324 posts, read 1,529,090 times
just a quick note....have 2 siberain huskies... we got one from the local pound and the other we got from a husky rescue place....love them both

Old 05-16-2007, 09:57 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,612,503 times
HDL- Thanks- what a hopeful post-

There was a movie on HBO called ""Dealing Dogs"" about a horrible man in Arkansas who raised animals for medical testing- the humane society finally arrested that man.

I am trying to at least save that one dog- called Margaret Lindop- collie rescue-

Old 05-16-2007, 05:50 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,683,834 times
Sunny
PM a PO Box if you can, I will make a donation. That's the dog you were "looking" for! Please go get him, especialy beings you feel so strongly.
I can't even walk past a pet shop - let alone a shelter. I can pass homeless people on the street, but start blubering uncontrollably at the site of a dog in a cage, God forbid, a stray. We were always so overrun with our strays and it breaks my heart that we can't get any more dogs because the good veterinarians are just too far away now.

Last edited by Travel'r; 05-16-2007 at 06:03 PM..

Old 05-16-2007, 07:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,705,729 times
save lassie, i would, even to train and give her away!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:01 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,212,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why are there owners out there still letting dogs & cats have babies. When a simple spay saves millions of lives in the end...why are people paying high prices for mix breeds. I know a lady that paid $1000 for a lab/poodle mix, just to dump it in the pound when she discovered it still needed to be clipped every 2 mos. just like a poodle... ALL I can say is people are mean.
In Ga they wont even let you adopt a dog or cat from a shelter unless you get him fixed
you adopt the dog
prepay for the surgery
they take the dog to your vet
and you pick up your dog after surgery

That has brought down the population of dogs down here some
but not as much as if people were just decent about it

My dog died in Jan My husband told me to go get another dog
I really wanted a shih tzu
I went to the pound first but they didnt have any
so I went to the breeder and got one
but I still felt bad that there were so many dogs at the pound
so I went back to the pound and adopted another dog for my son
all puppies are happy

my husband calls me the puppy saint
Iwill randomly go to the pound and adopt a dog who is set to die that day
I get him fixed and get all his shots and it always seems
within 3 months someone will see the dog and say something like
"Boy I wish I had a dog like that!!"
I ask them if they want him so they take the dog home
no euthenazia (sp)
happy dog
happy person
all is good

Old 05-17-2007, 02:23 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,820,842 times
I don't like going to pull dogs at the shelter, I usually volunteer to do anything else...and if I have to go pick up at the shelter I make them bring the dog(s) out to me....I really can't handle seeing the ones I'm not taking. Luckily the shelters and animal control here all work really hard to get them to rescue. A great way for people who can't foster to help is to volunteer to transport animals. We have gotten dogs as far away from Georgia and Kentucky because of the wonderful transport people...it makes a big difference and it is a great way to help.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:49 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,612,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Sunny
PM a PO Box if you can, I will make a donation. That's the dog you were "looking" for! Please go get him, especialy beings you feel so strongly.
I can't even walk past a pet shop - let alone a shelter. I can pass homeless people on the street, but start blubering uncontrollably at the site of a dog in a cage, God forbid, a stray. We were always so overrun with our strays and it breaks my heart that we can't get any more dogs because the good veterinarians are just too far away now.
Thanks Travelr-
Good news for today- I saved that collie!
he is being brought to Knoxville- his name is Splotches. The shelter could use funding- Call 423-926-8533. They have 3 beautiful white boxer puppies there too!

Also some blue heelers/some beautiful shepherd mixes/ white. And a greyhound.

An Akita that I am also trying to help- if anyone knows anyone/has resources-please PM me!

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs