Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,923 times

Advertisements

I bought some yogurt at the store today and they just had dinner time. Of course whatever one gets, the other has to have. Bella got 1 tablespoon in her bowl and Buster got a half tablespoon in his since he's smaller. It seemed to slow her eating down a lot and she seemed to enjoy the food more with the yogurt in it.

They both eat cheese and have never had problems with that so I wasn't to worried about any lactose intolerance, however we will see in a few hours lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 05:13 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
I bought some yogurt at the store today and they just had dinner time. Of course whatever one gets, the other has to have. Bella got 1 tablespoon in her bowl and Buster got a half tablespoon in his since he's smaller. It seemed to slow her eating down a lot and she seemed to enjoy the food more with the yogurt in it.

They both eat cheese and have never had problems with that so I wasn't to worried about any lactose intolerance, however we will see in a few hours lol
How did baby Bella do last night? And this morning?

Old 01-06-2010, 05:34 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
yogurt does not have any affect on lactose intolerant dogs or humans..... i am lactose intolerant and can eat yogurt all day long..... i am foggy on the details right now, but it seems that the cultures in the yogurt deal with the lactose......

dave can be a gassy boy too ..... i have switched their kibble and treats to grain free varieties and it seems to have done the trick...... of course, the treats are not nearly as tasty (at least according to dave), but oh well........

Old 01-06-2010, 07:50 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
yogurt does not have any affect on lactose intolerant dogs or humans..... i am lactose intolerant and can eat yogurt all day long..... i am foggy on the details right now, but it seems that the cultures in the yogurt deal with the lactose......
Unlike in milk, lactose is already broken down with the culturing of the yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, etc. and milk proteins are either removed or limited thus it is typically easier to digest, so even those that are lactose in tolerant can usually handle it. Notice how they tell people not to introduce cow's milk til a baby is at leats 12 months, but yogurt is fine much sooner than that?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
How did baby Bella do last night? And this morning?
Seems as though she did fine last night. I think I might have smelled one fart, but my nose could have been playing tricks on me lol Putting the yogurt in her food slowed her eating down so that might have had something to do with it, and I also tried to keep her calm after dinner so she could digest.

Her poop was firm this morning, where in the past it use to be looser in the morning and we'd have a fart fest at night right after she ate lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
dave can be a gassy boy too ..... i have switched their kibble and treats to grain free varieties and it seems to have done the trick...... of course, the treats are not nearly as tasty (at least according to dave), but oh well........
They're both on a grain free food because of Busters skin problems and the gas problem started for Bella when the food switch was made. I think this girl has a tough tummy and can tolerate the low grade foods, but when good food was introduced her tummy kinda went WHAT'S THIS?

So far so good though!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,111 times
I meant to get some yogurt for my Bella last time I went to the store but it wasn't on the list so I forgot. LOL My girl has gas also and now that she is sleeping in my bed.....:e ek:

Old 01-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
I meant to get some yogurt for my Bella last time I went to the store but it wasn't on the list so I forgot. LOL My girl has gas also and now that she is sleeping in my bed.....:e ek:
OH NO!!! lol

I was always so scared to get them in my bed and have to smell gas all night long, but usually after she went to sleep it stopped.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 PM

I think we had a little bit of diarrhea tonight. Well maybe not diarrhea but she bent down like she was going to poop and it looked like maybe 3 little pieces came out (sorry I know it's gross lol) and then we walk a couple more steps and she goes to poop again, again a few small pieces which is not normal for her and they looked a tad bit runny, but still pretty firm, if that makes sense. No gas so far though.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:18 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
We have been drinking, and I plan on giving my dogs, homemade kefir. My dogs did not have a gas problem after I switched to TOTW from Evo and I think my itchy girl has develped chicken issues because she is doing better since we started a bag of pacific stream. But I think it would be good for them in smalll quantities.

Since WE have been eating a very high fiber diet with a good many beans the gas has been horrid and the kefir has completely resolved the issue. Kefir is remarkably easy to make but you need to get kefir grains to make it. Unlike yogurt you cannot make it from a commercial kefir because commercial kefirst don't have the requisite stuff in them.

That aside you can buy tubes of probios economically at a farm supply store......a lot cheaper than doggie enzymes.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:19 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
I think we had a little bit of diarrhea tonight. Well maybe not diarrhea but she bent down like she was going to poop and it looked like maybe 3 little pieces came out (sorry I know it's gross lol) and then we walk a couple more steps and she goes to poop again, again a few small pieces which is not normal for her and they looked a tad bit runny, but still pretty firm, if that makes sense. No gas so far though.
Gross??? There's nothing that you can say about Bella's poop that's gross! (Think of all the things that I've told you about Artie's poop and anal sacs. Nothing is off limits here.)

I wouldn't worry about one weird poop. OK, it was technically TWO weird poops. Artie's poop is sometimes runny too -- and then the next one is firm. I think you should only be concerned when it's ALWAYS runny.

I know that when Artie gets too many treats in a day, his poop is pretty runny. And then he readjusts. I know that Bella only gets one treat a day (Artie says "huh?????" to that ) but it could just be a flukey thing. If they continue to be runny, it's something to concern yourself about.

And YAY! for no gas... so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs