Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 02:31 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,450,014 times

Advertisements

I had a friend send me an e-mail last week asking if I could help her groomer who had taken in a couple dogs to save them that needed to be placed. One was a bull mastiff. I had a mastiff (an English, not a bull, but mastiff nonetheless) years ago and adored her, so he was an automatic yes! The other is an 8 year old golden / husky mix girl. I told her I'd try to find another rescue that could take her.

In the meantime I set up a transport. Thanks to my friend and Zugor and a lady that was willing to make a huge trip for them, it came together way easier than I'd anticipated! It was due to leave NC on Sunday and when I hadn't had a rescue step forward for the golden / husky girl I told the lady to send her along. She can bunk here until I either find her a rescue or a forever home. Still not real sure where I'll put her, but she only had an outdoor 10x10 pen for her in the snow and I couldn't bear to leave her there. I know, I'm a sucker!

So they left NC on Sunday and spent the night with Zugor this weekend then headed to their next over night with the lady that's bringing them to me. She just called and should be at our meeting area in about three and a half hours. I'm bouncing off walls and can't wait to met them!!

So, this is their introduction post!

First is the girl, cuz ladies should always be first. Gracie is about 8 years old. She's a husky / golden mix girl. She was tied to a tree her entire life. When her former owner died recently his kids didn't want her and couldn't make time to even take her to a shelter. They went to feed her once or twice a week, but that was it. She started losing weight and a neighbor finally started looking for someone to take her in. She's got some weight back on her now and is very sweet according to her wonderful transporters. They said she's pretty laid back and very timid. She's quite in love with big old Demo and will cry when he leaves the room, so she's definitely a pack dog. I've been told she's got a gorgeous very heavy coat on her. Photos aren't the best but I'll update once they're here.

Demo is a one year old bull mastiff, most definitely pure bred. He was dumped in a shelter in NC. The Director decided he had perfect veins for a euthanasia class and wasn't even going to put him on the adoption line, just kill him. One of the shelter workers spent some time with him though and said he was a total baby and couldn't bear the thought of him being killed, so he had his mother come in and adopt him when the Director left.

He's a big baby from what I'm hearing so far and is a man's dog. The lady that's bringing him from VA for me said he clung to her hubby last night and loves to go for long walks. He follows you around like the puppy he is. Great with other dogs; just an all around wonderful boy, although he's apparently incredibly strong. She said she went to walk him this morning and was 'ice skating' across her yard! Will definitely need to teach this boy some manners FAST!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 02:37 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,420,480 times
OMG - they are absolutely gorgeous! Congrats on your new fosters. I have a feeling it won't take long to find them good forever homes!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:38 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,055,659 times
**clapping hands at screen**

they are both gorgeous..... i am thrilled for them!!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:38 PM

I have a feeling someone might have to fight me for Demo! I've not even met him and I'm in love!! LOL Can't wait to get them here and get some better photos - and see just how big he really is!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I have a feeling someone might have to fight me for Demo! I've not even met him and I'm in love!!
Thats just how my Sammie ended up being adopted by us instead of just being fostered. The more I looked at her picture, the more I knew she was never gonna live anywhere but in our home (and our hearts). Sometimes you just know when you look at the picture. So let me revise my statement. Congrats on your new foster AND your new furbaby!!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Thats just how my Sammie ended up being adopted by us instead of just being fostered. The more I looked at her picture, the more I knew she was never gonna live anywhere but in our home (and our hearts). Sometimes you just know when you look at the picture. So let me revise my statement. Congrats on your new foster AND your new furbaby!!!!
That'll have to be hubby's decision. I fall for all the big dogs. Perhaps not like I've fallen for him already, but I do like the bigger dogs. Muchi is the only small brat I've fallen for and brought home. He falls for the smaller dogs, especially the chis, which is why we have six of them in the house. So the deal is if we have a big dog in the house and he falls for it and decides to keep it we do. If we have a little dog that I fall for I can decide to keep it. So far it's kept us from keeping any fosters, so it's working. Besides if I keep him it takes up a space I can use for another dog in need. That'll get me to adopt him. But I know I'll miss him horribly. Every now and then I have those fosters that I really bond with and it's hard when they go to their adoptive homes. I think he'll be one of those.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
That'll have to be hubby's decision. I fall for all the big dogs. Perhaps not like I've fallen for him already, but I do like the bigger dogs. Muchi is the only small brat I've fallen for and brought home. He falls for the smaller dogs, especially the chis, which is why we have six of them in the house. So the deal is if we have a big dog in the house and he falls for it and decides to keep it we do. If we have a little dog that I fall for I can decide to keep it. So far it's kept us from keeping any fosters, so it's working. Besides if I keep him it takes up a space I can use for another dog in need. That'll get me to adopt him. But I know I'll miss him horribly. Every now and then I have those fosters that I really bond with and it's hard when they go to their adoptive homes. I think he'll be one of those.
I know what you mean about fosters. I'm lucky that I have some wonderful "Mom & Dads" that still send me pictures and updates on all my babies. Its so hard to let them go but so satifying to see them happy & healthy in their new homes!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:55 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,080,604 times
OMG!!! I love Gracie so much!

And you and Zugor for making this happen!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I know what you mean about fosters. I'm lucky that I have some wonderful "Mom & Dads" that still send me pictures and updates on all my babies. Its so hard to let them go but so satifying to see them happy & healthy in their new homes!
No kidding! And my all time favorite fosters seem to have gone to those homes, thank God!! As a matter of fact one of my favorites was a Great Pyr / St Bernard mix puppy that went to the first leg of the transport of these two and she is a friend too, so I get lots of updates. That tiny little fur ball sure grew into a massive fur ball fast!!! LOL

Old 01-12-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
OMG!!! I love Gracie so much!

And you and Zugor for making this happen!
I can set up a CT transport...............

I've actually got a friend in CT that's wanting to possibly move back this way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs