Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times

Advertisements

BarkOff, train your dog to stop barking anytime, anywhere!

Has anyone used this? A friend has four yappers right next door to her home- they have a doggie door and always bark like crazy when my friend or her husband some home. After more than a years, the dogs haven't stopped. It is also on the side of the house that my friends bedroom is on. Talking has not helped.

Just saw this product on TV and thought mabe a couple of these would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 09:41 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,670,954 times
i couldn't find reviews for this product, but i was looking at reviews on amazon of collars that use the same principle (emitting an "ultrasonic" tone) and almost all of the reviews are negative. still, i'll ask around and see if anyone i know has personal experience with them.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:04 PM

i asked on a dog training e-mail list i belong to, and no one seems too happy with ultrasonic devices. one woman had a coworker who used something similar and she said that while it made their one dog who barked stop barking, it made the one who didn't bark completely shut down and just sit in her crate with her tail tucked. they actually had to move the dog to another house because it was so bad for her.

it also had no lasting effect on the dog who barked. as soon as they stopped using it, she started barking again.

all in all, this doesn't seem like it's a good idea. in my experience, aversives rarely are, although this is a mild aversive.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:37 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,738 times
Are you wanting to recommend this device to your neighbor or use it yourself on their dogs without their knowledge?

Old 03-21-2010, 07:42 PM

i assumed she was going to recommend or give it to them! i definitely wouldn't recommend using anything like that on a dog without its owner knowing!

i don't know what to suggest off hand, but i bet some of the forum members here could come up with a book or pamphlet you could recommend or give to your neighbors so they can work on the barking.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:44 PM

also, to the op, what do you do now when the dogs bark? anything?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 PM

They have spoken to the neighbor. The problem takes place when they have a dog sitter who brings her dog and lets them all just go in an out the doggie door. The house is on the second level and the doggie door goes into the garage. When the neighbors are home, the dogs are upstairs most of the time. My relative has told the neighbor about this, but I guess they feel that they have good dog sitter and since they travel all the time, they don't want to rock that boat. It is horrible- all those dogs yapping away every time my relatives or guests drive up to their front door or at night, when something sets them off. No, they would not offer the device it to the neighbor- they would just leave them plugged in near the dog run. The neighbor has done nothing that has stopped this.

BTW, my relative has even gone up to the dogs on several occasions and talked to them, petted them through the fence, hoping that they would get used to her. They are just yappy, hyper dogs.

Their only alternative is to call the police every time. They are ready to do this. Maybe having to go before the city will help, but it is the last resort. Who wants to call the cops on your neighbor?

Old 03-22-2010, 02:08 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
They have spoken to the neighbor. The problem takes place when they have a dog sitter who brings her dog and lets them all just go in an out the doggie door. The house is on the second level and the doggie door goes into the garage. When the neighbors are home, the dogs are upstairs most of the time. My relative has told the neighbor about this, but I guess they feel that they have good dog sitter and since they travel all the time, they don't want to rock that boat. It is horrible- all those dogs yapping away every time my relatives or guests drive up to their front door or at night, when something sets them off. No, they would not offer the device it to the neighbor- they would just leave them plugged in near the dog run. The neighbor has done nothing that has stopped this.

BTW, my relative has even gone up to the dogs on several occasions and talked to them, petted them through the fence, hoping that they would get used to her. They are just yappy, hyper dogs.

Their only alternative is to call the police every time. They are ready to do this. Maybe having to go before the city will help, but it is the last resort. Who wants to call the cops on your neighbor?
Your relatives may be setting themselves up for a whole lot of grief if they use any such device in a covert manner. Not a smart move, IMHO It sure wouldn't fly with me if my neighbor was using it on my dogs.

Most barking ordinances are for certain hours, like between 10 pm and 6/7 am so I'm not sure calling the police will help either other than cause even more hard feelings.

Of course, your relatives could move....not saying it isn't annoying, but maybe they don't like dogs to begin with. I have four dogs and two will bark for about 20 seconds when someone walks by or the neighbors come home. No one has complained...just saying.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
I would write the offending neighbors a nice letter [since conversation has not worked] explaining the problems this causes and the fact that you hate lodging a complaint but that it may be necessary.

Perhaps stepping it up may be a good intermediate step. If the dogs are going off at night and it is interrupting sleep then there is no excuse.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:01 AM

Thanks, granny. I'll be seeing them this week and will suggest that.

It's sad, really. These people have three acres, but the dog run is 4 foot by 10 feet and against their fence. They didn't want to disturb their view of the river. I think if they knew that they could be cited BC of the dog sitter's actions, and if it was worded the right way, the letter might do the trick.

These people lost their home to fire a couple of years ago and my relatives went in and took out as much as they could, washed the crystal and china that could be salvaged, found some photos and rescued them- even put them in an album for the family. Let workmen access the property through theirs to rebuild. Took food over when they moved in to their newly built home. That's what is so strange about the whole thing. They aren't close as far as visiting one another, but have been anything but bad neighbors.

BTW- I just saw barkoff on TV, I don't even know that they would consider it. And now that I hear that it could be bad for the dogs, I know they wouldn't . they are big animal people- gave me $ to have a huge tumor removed from my old dog, contribute locally and nationally to animal rescue groups.

As is usually the case, it is the people, not the dogs that need training!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs